The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
The base 718 doesn’t have the balls or the look to talk about, but probably assembled better.
Not true. The base 718 has a lot of low-end grunt, and an APR or Cobb tune will boost power further. A used 718 has had the depreciation hit. On the negative side for the 718, the Agate Grey color is boring to me. On the plus side for the Evora is exclusivity.
Test drive the 718. You will either love it or the nature of the flat four will not be for you. I have a 718 GTS and an Elise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Porsche’s will continue to drop in value unless it is a special model. That is a straight up fact. That’s why I decided to not get a Cayman. I never even drove one even though I really like them. A $60,000 today will be in the $25-35k range in 5 years. If you buy a 38-45k Evora today in 5 years it will very likely still be sitting at 38-45k. Nothing is guaranteed of course but what this means is you can practically own a Lotus for next to nothing if you decide to sell it after a few years.

·
not your dad's puns
1,760 Posts
The Lotus is the only car my wife asks for by name, when we go out on a date. She never asks for a ride in the Porsche, just sayin'.

I think I will circle around to an Evora eventually. I've been actively shopping for sporty automatics, and an IPS is on the list. Like you, I suspect it would take me years to find my perfect combination though.

P-cars are great, but it's so much easier to find one to suit you, just from the sheer production numbers. So just from a statistical standpoint, one must buy the Lotus combination when it shows up. 😉

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I see a dozen Porsches a day, not counting SUVs.

Seen maybe 2 Evoras in the wild that were not at a car meet

I think you will get bored with the Porsche

Nothing wrong with the car, nothing wrong with Mustangs either.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Ask yourself one question? Who's the sports car enthusiast?
Once answered, then ask yourself why?
The answers will define clarity and will lead you to the right sports car.
Of course this all means that both of you each answer honestly and don't dog pile just to win ;-)

·
Illegal Alien
4,971 Posts
Happy wife...happy life...However in this instance I would say go with the Lotus. The lotus has the "supercar" appeal that the Cayman does not. I see Caymans on the road all the time, but rarely see another Lotus. Do yourself a favor and get the Lotus :). Or somehow convince her to get both. Im not biased either. Ive been wanting to pick up a Cayman for a while as a track car so I love them both equally.
Porsche .. Happy Wife and thus Happy Husband for a few days until the newness wears off of her.

Lotus. .. Pissed Wife and thus sad Husband for a few days, until he says f**kit the car is making me Happy, day after day, month after month, year after year and wife has come around since I'm so Happy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Porsche’s will continue to drop in value unless it is a special model. That is a straight up fact. That’s why I decided to not get a Cayman. I never even drove one even though I really like them. A $60,000 today will be in the $25-35k range in 5 years. If you buy a 38-45k Evora today in 5 years it will very likely still be sitting at 38-45k. Nothing is guaranteed of course but what this means is you can practically own a Lotus for next to nothing if you decide to sell it after a few years.
I think you are correct about used Lotus Evora holding its value. But submitting to your wife can be exquisite-- if its in the bedroom.

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
Never set yourself up for blackmail.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not true. The base 718 has a lot of low-end grunt, and an APR or Cobb tune will boost power further. A used 718 has had the depreciation hit. On the negative side for the 718, the Agate Grey color is boring to me. On the plus side for the Evora is exclusivity.
Test drive the 718. You will either love it or the nature of the flat four will not be for you. I have a 718 GTS and an Elise.
As much as everyone is trying to compare the Evora to the 718, I think the Evora is more like the 911, but lighter and less power. The Elise is nothing like the Evora, other than the badge, nothing in common. I personally think Porsche sports cars are great, but unless you pay for the upper end models, they’re not existing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve been a Porsche guy my whole life, grew up with them around all the time. The older I get (42 currently), the more niche my tastes get. I bought the Evora over the Cayman and a 911, all were on the short list. The Evora just has the “it” factor.

Also, my buddy has the Cayman GTS, it’s a fantastic and fast car. Fit and finish is killer, and it’s really damn sexy. His is so fast it rivals upper end 911’s. It’s probably faster than my Evora 400. Handling wise? Evora hands down. I’ve never driven anything that handles like it.

From a pure experience perspective? Evora, no doubt about it.

From a wife standpoint? If you’re married, she won’t divorce you over this, so pick what you want and buy her some Jimmy Choo’s and a Cartier watch. She’ll get over it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Porches are fine sport cars and I have nothing against if the car is fairly new. However, I'm not comfortable owning a higher mileage Porches as I think the maintenance would burn my wallet. I would still be comfortable owning my Evora after it passed 100k miles. Because of the Toyota engine, I'm able save a lot of money doing all the regular maintenance myself. The engine is reliable, and the aluminum/fiberglass body is rust free for years to come. With the extremely low production output, my Evora is always going to be exotic.

·
Registered
989 Posts
As someone who has started moving in and out of cars more quickly, one thing you should keep in mind is how long you plan to keep it and how hard it will be to sell it later. You won't have any problem finding a buyer for a 718 Cayman or trading it in somewhere. I think you will have a much harder time finding a buyer for an Evora whenever it is time for a new car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd rather drive a Cayman than an Evora, but maybe that's just me. Personally I find the Evora (older ones especially) to be a bit ugly. The 718 will eventually take a depreciation hit but should hold some value for a bit.

Go 718 - great chassis that is undervalued only because it sounds like a subaru

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd rather drive a Cayman than an Evora, but maybe that's just me. Personally I find the Evora (older ones especially) to be a bit ugly. The 718 will eventually take a depreciation hit but should hold some value for a bit.

Go 718 - great chassis that is undervalued only because it sounds like a subaru
Let the rotten tomatoes fly! 👹😂

Reactions: dogtag114

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you buy the Porsche, you will constantly hear this joke, that I made popular and since has spread around the world.

Dude: "Do you know the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine?"
You: "No, what is the difference?"
Dude: "Porcupines have the pricks on the outside."

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you buy the Porsche, you will constantly hear this joke, that I made popular and since has spread around the world.

Dude: "Do you know the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine?"
You: "No, what is the difference?"
Dude: "Porcupines have the pricks on the outside."
Great joke that can be leveled against almost all hi-dollar marques, except Lotus. Not sure how old you are PaulSD, but I first heard the joke in 1987 and a BMW was referenced.

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
"I, for one, care less for them"... Most polite thing I can say about a Porsche.
When you owna Porsche, you need to trade it in to keep up with the Jones, when you own a Lotus, it shows you have learned the finer aspects of driving regardless of model, model year, fitment etc. They are keepers.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts