The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have been scrubbing this forum about tires and have finally narrowed it down to either the Toyo T1R or the R888.

I like the fact that the T1R is good in the rain. I like the R888 handling.

I was just wondering if some of you might be able to chime in with opinions. I keep going back and forth between the two.:shrug: Helpful info....I have never driven my Elise on summer tires(purchased in January) . Other suggestions welcomed!

Thanks

I Have the Pirelli Snowsports for winter.

I will not be tracking.

Money is not a factor.

Lss wheels.

·
Registered
856 Posts
both are VERY different tires

T1R are sort of a heavy car all weather summer tire

R888 are more of an autcross, track tire

Having driven on the TR1, I will tell you that they are OK. Not the same as the A048 tires that came on the LSS wheels and not like the AD07 tires that came on base. They are actually softer sidewalls (which you can feel) and definately don't drive like the Yokahama tires.

I would recommend a tire with a stiff sidewall, and I think I would pick R888 (even though I have not yet tried them out).

Just my $.02

Dave

·
Registered
753 Posts
I would to for the r888. If you don't like them. You could easily sell them. Call Joe at the tire shoppe, tireshoppe.com. Great prices and great service. I have them on my car now and so far I like them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I agree with everything you said. Based on the posts in this forum. I am only going to be able to gauge my new tire experience based on the fact that I am driving on the snow tires right now.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have already talked to Joe. He is the one I'll be dealing with for sure. He was very professional and informative.

Score R888 2
T1R 0

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have the T1R’s and like them, but I put a lot of miles on them so the 888 would be stupid for me in my opinion. But I have a second set of wheels with soft stuff on them. If only using 1 tire for all your driving (snow tires don’t count) and not tracking or such maybe the R1R’s are better for you. The R1R’s should be OK (better then the 888’s) in the rain too.
But for the most grip and not caring bout the price, in both tire price and needing to replace more often, the 888 is the better tire.

Something to think about.

Kevin

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you're not tracking consider the Goodyear GSD3. Good dry, great wet.

For track/street I'd highly recommend the R888.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the T1R’s and like them, but I put a lot of miles on them so the 888 would be stupid for me in my opinion. But I have a second set of wheels with soft stuff on them. If only using 1 tire for all your driving (snow tires don’t count) and not tracking or such maybe the R1R’s are better for you. The R1R’s should be OK (better then the 888’s) in the rain too.
But for the most grip and not caring bout the price, in both tire price and needing to replace more often, the 888 is the better tire.

Something to think about.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, BTW Goat Hill rules!!! (Costa Mesa for those who don't know what im talking about) I miss it! Boca Chica somewhere around guard shack 25 was my spot to surf. nothin crazy. Anyway...thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If it is everyday normal driving and you don't need the performance perks, I'd say T1R. I hear they're Superman in the wet.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is everyday normal driving and you don't need the performance perks, I'd say T1R. I hear they're Superman in the wet.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Score
R888 3

T1R 1.5

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The right sizes in the R1R is coming soon. If you need tires now may be no good.
If you get R1R’s
205/45 and
225/45 or 235/40

Kevin

·
Registered
836 Posts
Get the round ones,,,,I bet you dont feel any difference anyway. (no insult intended, most Lotus owners would not)

S

·
Registered
856 Posts
I agree. I think I would try the R1R If they were out in our size too.

T1R = not fun only practical (kinda numb actually)
Lotus+either stock tire = Fun, exciting, stimulating
T1R+Lotus = not fun takes away the stimulation and makes car numb. The numb feel is actually not a good feeling. You expect a certain feel out of the Lotus and the T1R takes that away.

Again, just my opinion. Others do say different.

Dave

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Toyo RA1 full thread..

same long lasting Rcomp tire..
at full thread awesome water sheding..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
How important is wet traction to you?
If not so important get 888’s
If a bit important or more, get the RA1’s or the Bridgestone RE-01’s
If more mileage and good wet grip wile not losing to much grip T1R’s
If you can wait a month or so get the R1R’s

Kevin

·
Registered
664 Posts
Falcon RT615's... good grip, good in the rain and mine are looking like they will have a decent life expectancy...
+1 for Falken Azenis RT-615. Had em on lots of my cars. Life expectancy is on the low end though. The grip is incredible. Not sure if they come in lss sizes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
jmiesse - I love the Toyos (not much help, eh) but I'd be curious to hear your reasons for ruling out the Yokohama tires (AD07 and A048) ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts