The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
jmiesse - I love the Toyos (not much help, eh) but I'd be curious to hear your reasons for ruling out the Yokohama tires (AD07 and A048) ...
Well, I said price was not a factor but value is. IMO. 6 to 8k miles for the price? NO thanks. Even though Lotus supposedly is now offering the AD07 in lss sizes on the 08s. I don't think thats quite yet possible for us.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, I said price was not a factor but value is. IMO. 6 to 8k miles for the price? NO thanks. Even though Lotus supposedly is now offering the AD07 in lss sizes on the 08s. I don't think thats quite yet possible for us.
Wow - AD07 in a 195 size up front! :nanner: Thanks for that tidbit - I did not know that before now. I suppose we could fit that 195 on our skinny front wheels but we really should upsize our front wheels to make effective use of the 195 tire. Alright then ... I am saving up for wider wheels. Man, I have been waiting for Yok to make the AD07 in a 195 size for 3 years! Sorry - I'm not much help again.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bump

I finally decided on the r888s. They are arriving tomorrow! I cant wait to get them installed. I have not been able to appreciate the complete handling experience; since I bought the car in Jan. and have been driving on the Pirelli Snowsports.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
How important is wet traction to you?
If not so important get 888’s
If a bit important or more, get the RA1’s or the Bridgestone RE-01’s
If more mileage and good wet grip wile not losing to much grip T1R’s
If you can wait a month or so get the R1R’s

Kevin
+1 for the Bridgestone RE-01's for the street as a great compromise of grip, wet traction, wear, and ride.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Bump

I finally decided on the r888s. They are arriving tomorrow! I cant wait to get them installed. I have not been able to appreciate the complete handling experience; since I bought the car in Jan. and have been driving on the Pirelli Snowsports.
I think you made a good choice. I haven't used them, but will be trying a set once my A048's are spent. I hear nothing, but good about the R888's. My A048's (195 fronts and 245 rears) are mounted on stock LSS wheels (no spacers).

For the street I have RE01-R's (205 front and 245 rear). I really like the RE01-R's for street use.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well I was warned about clearance problems so I didn't want to take the chance on the 205.
Everyone has been posting about track experience so I will be posting about street experience.

I think I am starting to get it..... you compensated by also bumping up on the rear size too? So that the understeer will remain?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Well I was warned about clearance problems so I didn't want to take the chance on the 205.
Everyone has been posting about track experience so I will be posting about street experience.

I think I am starting to get it..... you compensated by also bumping up on the rear size too? So that the understeer will remain?
I've had the larger Bridgestone's 205/245 on both an Exige and an Elise, and I've found no rubbing or clearance problems, and I don't use spacers.

On both cars I've used the Euro Exige wheels, which are supposedly the same size as the LSS wheels, albeit heavier.

My driving is too crappy to determine if my plowing in turns is the designed understeer, effected by tire size, or my simply not knowing what I'm doing.

Haven't experienced any oversteer yet, but that could be because I'm not trying hard enough.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
With my A048's on the rear with a 245 on the LSS wheels I get a very slight bit of rubbing on the inside under hard cornering. On the fronts, I get a little rubbing at the top front part of the liner even with my 195's under hard cornering loads, but I also have my car lowered a bit all around. I think the 245 is a little much for the LSS wheels 7.5" width. With the A048's, I think either 225 or 235 would be a better choice for LSS sized wheels.

With my RE01-R's, I am running a 205 on a 16x7" wheel up front and a 245 on a 17x8" wheel on the rear. Using the Team Dynamics wheels. I have had no rubbing with these, but then they aren't pushed quite as hard either.

I recently installed RE01-R's on my wife's Saab 9-3 turbo and they made a big difference on there. Yes I know... it is a FWD, but it is still a hoot to drive. I have done quite a bit of suspension work and power improvements, so it was begging for a better tire like these. It makes her happy!!! :D

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I just wanted to tell you all how much I LOVE THE R888S. I don't even have the words to describe it!!! :coolnana:

·
Registered
403 Posts
did any of you notice any power/response loss with the heavier r888's ??

21 - 38 of 38 Posts