The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a 10 day road trip with my g/f from Toronto to South Carolina. Need to go to Philadelphia and then plan to check out Washington. Any other suggestions after that?

Thanks
Carl

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Have i got a great road for you. come down thru buffalo. take route 5 to 77 south. to 20A east. then take 19 south into PA. Find route 6 east to galaton. in galeton pick up 144 south. Be prepared for the best couple of hours. 144 will take you down to interstate 80'

from interstate 80 you c, find your way over to philly.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
I will try and think of more. But that 144 is the best road that I have been on in the Northeast. After that run you will welcome the I80 and drive to Philly.

On the way back...pick up 44 in Jersey Shore, PA...take that north....to 144 and then back to Buffalo.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump. I'm heading out in a couple of days but don't really know where I am going other than Philly and Washington. Our goal is to then head towards S. Carolina to experience some of your southern charm. Thinking Myrtle Beach or Charleston but not stuck to it. Any suggestions on where to go from Washington? We'll have about 5 days from Washington. This will give us two days to get back.

Thanks,
Carl

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Me.. I would head east from Washington and pick up Skyline drive and head south. Then over to Deal's Gap and Tail of the Dragon. :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Me.. I would head east from Washington and pick up Skyline drive and head south. Then over to Deal's Gap and Tail of the Dragon. :)
+1
Mountains > Beach. Especially in the Elise. If the g/f wants a non-driving destination in the area go to Asheville and visit the Biltmore Estate
BILTMORE in Asheville, North Carolina, Americas Largest Home and More!
and stay at the Grove Park Inn
The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa - Welcome .
But whatever you do, don't miss the Dragon.
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC:shift:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Nice. I am following you catapult, just a few weeks behind in the Noble. I will be heading from Detroit to Asheville to Deals Gap in early to mid June with some stops in Kentucky and Tennessee.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you can make it down to Charleston, I'd suggest you do so. I'd skip Myrtle Beach unless you really want to check out the Hard Rock Park. The beaches in Charleston like Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, and Folly are just as good as Myrtle, and there's history and better food here. The roads in eastern SC are straight and flat, so I'd find a route through the NC mountains for a little driving fun and then zip down I-26 three hours to Charleston. Oh, and I didn't see when you were coming. Avoid Myrtle Beach at all costs during Memorial Day weekend.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Funny, this site now has all the technical features I was avoiding when I came here!

If you make it to Nashville, check out Lane Motor Museum.
Near Asheville is Deerfields.
Nice if you can get a cabin when they aren't holding an event.
Deerfields, Ltd. - Home
Of course, there are a lot of choices in the mountains, including a lodge high up you have to hike to.

There is a road going east west in Kentucky that is incredibly beautiful.
The section from the freeway in Kentucky to the one east of it has some of the most challenging driving I've ever seen on a paved road.
Too bad I drove it in the fog.
I think it was Hwy 35, but it's been a very long time.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can make it down to Charleston, I'd suggest you do so. I'd skip Myrtle Beach unless you really want to check out the Hard Rock Park. The beaches in Charleston like Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, and Folly are just as good as Myrtle, and there's history and better food here. The roads in eastern SC are straight and flat, so I'd find a route through the NC mountains for a little driving fun and then zip down I-26 three hours to Charleston. Oh, and I didn't see when you were coming. Avoid Myrtle Beach at all costs during Memorial Day weekend.
Thanks. Probably hit the Carolinas mid week next week. I'm thinking about heading home via Washington so I can watch Toronto FC beat DC United (soccer) on the 24th.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks. Probably hit the Carolinas mid week next week. I'm thinking about heading home via Washington so I can watch Toronto FC beat DC United (soccer) on the 24th.
Again, avoid Myrtle Beach from next Wed through Memorial Day. Google "Atlantic Beach Bike Week" for details on why. It's ruined many unsuspecting tourists' vacations. Many locals go out of town this weekend.

On another note, the Harley rally is going on right now, and I get to drive up there tomorrow to consult with the MBPD. Lucky me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts