The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Torque Pro for Android in conjunction with my OBD2-Dongle for a long time now. Recently I was inspired to develop m own theme giving the Torque dashboard an Evora style look.

So, if anyone else is using Torque here it is. To install it just extracting the contents of the zip file to the /.torque/themeDir/ folder on your SD card, then restart Torque. Language is selected by Torque, so it should show up correct for everyone.

Attachments

·
Illegal Alien
5,260 Posts
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried Dashcommand, but it has been extremely unstable on my Smartphone. I also prefer the logging capabilities of Torque.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I am using this theme and it is working well on my 2010 NA.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does on mine. :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hav the Parrot Asteroid Smart head unit, which runs Android

·
694 Posts
Good timing for this thread revival. I just received my OBD2 Bluetooth reader (cheap ELM 327 thingy) to feed the Torque Pro app. I will set it up on the AMG to see how it works this winter and get it on the Lotus this spring. BTW, can the reader stay "permanently" connected on the OBD port? I would think so since it's just a reader but thought I would check with you guys.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Dash command is garbage. Torque is wayyyy more flexible and more powerful.
I've been using DashCommand with AppRadio for about 3 years without problem. Even after the iOS 8 update. :up:
What do you find is "garbage" about it? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks for this, love Torque.

As to leaving it connected, I am hesitant to because the OBD port on my car is not switched and continues to receive power when the ignition is off and key removed as the light on my OBD reader remains lit. I am worried about battery drain since our cars are already predisposed to that. I have read about others rigging up a simple kill switch for the OBD port so that it isn't powered when the car is off. I just plug it in when needed.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the Evora the OBD port is switched off when the ignition is turned off. I leave it on all the time w/o any issues or battery drain.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I've been using DashCommand with AppRadio for about 3 years without problem. Even after the iOS 8 update. :up:
What do you find is "garbage" about it? :scratchhead:

If you used torque then it’s pretty apparent. I’ve used both since I have both an android and iphone. Torque has better plugins and it is more flexible on how it data logs. One example of the plugin is something called Track Recorder. It records a video of your driving and will overlay the gauges on top of the video for future playback. That allows you to see and hear what’s going on while having reference to a video of your driving. Also it has other plugins like detonation detection and a few other nifty ones. It’s all part of the program that you can download.

Adding PID in Torque is better as well since the data range is preset and it allows you to choose from something like over 8 different types of gauges/graphs to output that data. DC only really has a handful and they are basically a rehash of the same type of gauge. Torque also allows you to connect over Bluetooth which has much faster data transfer rates compared to using DC on an iphone. In fact, there is so much latency between the wifi/iphone/DC combo that it renders it completely useless if you want real time data. I haven’t tried the $100 wifi dongles yet but using Torque on Android only requires a $10 dongle that you can get anywhere online. Torque also allows you to tailor the sample rate. I can set it to pull data every 0.1 second to 2 seconds. I have mine set to sample every 0.3 seconds. DC is set to 1 second and I don’t see any provision to change it.

DC has more graphical fluff so it looks “cool” but Torque is much more utilitarian and practical for more serious data logging. Torque also does not require you to pay extra to log PID from newer cars like say…a BRZ. They charge $10 per. Torque also allows me to view data that DC does not such as the name of the tune that I have currently flashed. Also I has a much better output display of the OBD readiness monitors.

The list goes on and on and I can probably list another 5-10 things but I’m about to head out on a department lunch.

·
Registered
856 Posts
On the Evora the OBD port is switched off when the ignition is turned off. I leave it on all the time w/o any issues or battery drain.
Perhaps I had this confused with one of my other cars in which the OBD port isn't switched. Thank you for the correction.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I choose DashCommand mostly for compatibility to the Pioneer head units and how well it works with GoPoints BT1 OBDII Bluetooth adapter. No lag with a good OBDII, but would like some of the additional features you mentioned. GoPoint comes with a pretty good engine diagnostic tool which I use on all my cars.
Does Torque have any plans of coming over to the "dark side" Apple?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
No plans to go to iOS from my understanding as that has been requested many times by people. Another great feature that I like about Torque is that it displays a list of all of the PID that your car supports and can hide the ones that it does not. So you don't end up going through the trouble of adding a PID only to find out that it's not supported like in DC. Torque works much smoother as well since I believe the app is less of a resource hog than DC. I'm running DC on a iPhone 6+ so it's not a hardware issue. Another great feature of Torque is that it will plot on a map of the route that you have driven and it will tell you the speed in which you are driving every step of the way on a color coded fashion. Hard to explain but very nifty. It also has a bunch of other features like graphing the data that you logged into X and Y axis so that you can compare two sets of data point .

What I do like about DC though is that it allows you to replay the data on the gauge . But 99% of the time I'm reviewing the data on the computer anyways. I think DC has its user base but overall Torque is better. But most people probably won't use the extra features of torque anyways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts