The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing my first oil change since having my Moroso pan installed. Torquing aluminum always scares me. Is there a specific torque setting for the drain plug, or what have you guys used that did not result in the plug bolt being stripped?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Take care, very easy to strip. The best is to install Helicoil (1/2-20NF) as soon as possible, ideally before the installation of the oil pan. You can also find rubber seal with stell back plate instead than the copper gasket. The copper gasket needs more torque to avoid any leak. I drilled the bolt to secure it with steel wire like you can on racing car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got a Moroso oil pan installed. Found it leaking today. It was the plug. I have been just tightening it in 1/4 turn or less increments. I am at a half turn so far and just waiting now to check it again. It there a torque spec. for it? All I could find on the Moroso site under "instructions" is to place washer on bolt and do not overtighten. I guess I will continue to tighten until it stops leaking or I go a full turn. I am going to get worried about stripping the threads soon. I found a post on another site that said the bolt should be placed finger tight then given a 1/4 turn. Not sure how THAT works if it's still leaking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am probably at a full turn now and the leaking has slowed a lot. Just waiting now. Do you think if I drive it and warm things up the copper washer would expand or something would expand and seal better? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hmm...I recently got this pan also and doing a pre-track make sure all is tight and noticed a small leak from the plug also. Seems to be a very small amount but none the less a leak. It looked like the rubber seal was tight as it was starting to pinch a little. I didnt loosen or tighten it as I didnt know what the specs. are...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the copper washer and I haven't seen any oil now wanting to drip for about 1.5 hours. I am about ready to put the diffuser back on and take it for a Sunday drive.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Teflon washer

I made some teflon washers at work since mine leaked all the time..........I even called Moroso and they said that it should not leak.......so after installing the teflon washers no more issues so far...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts