The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked in San Antonio today for a meeting. Nice parking space is available on the street in big wide spots with clear white lines. I pull into the spot and make sure the car is inside all the lines with as much space as possible in front and behind me (yeah, I know, parallel parking is dangerous, but I was running late for a meeting due to being told both the wrong time and wrong location).

I feed the meeter and run into my meeting. I come out to find a ticket on my car:

Viol: 0015
Desc: PARKED MORE THAN 18 INCH FROM CURB
Remark1: PARKED 27 IN FROM CURB
Remark2: TRAFFIC HAZARD/TOWAWAY

Apparently parking inside the white lines is not enough, you also have to be within 18 inches from the curb!

:mad:

At least they didn't try to tow the car away... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
were you sticking out into the road? 27 inches seems a lot on most roads but if you were inside the lines..

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is. You violated the law, you have to pay. If you read the TX code for parking, it clearly states it.

§ 545.303. ADDITIONAL PARKING REGULATIONS. (a) An
operator who stops or parks on a two-way roadway shall do so with
the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel to and within 18
inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
That is exactly why I don't take mine anywhere near downtown/meter parking areas. I would send them a picture of your car within all the lines and tell them to screw off.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I parked in San Antonio today for a meeting. Nice parking space is available on the street in big wide spots with clear white lines. I pull into the spot and make sure the car is inside all the lines with as much space as possible in front and behind me (yeah, I know, parallel parking is dangerous, but I was running late for a meeting due to being told both the wrong time and wrong location).

I feed the meeter and run into my meeting. I come out to find a ticket on my car:

Viol: 0015
Desc: PARKED MORE THAN 18 INCH FROM CURB
Remark1: PARKED 27 IN FROM CURB
Remark2: TRAFFIC HAZARD/TOWAWAY

Apparently parking inside the white lines is not enough, you also have to be within 18 inches from the curb!

:mad:

At least they didn't try to tow the car away... :rolleyes:
Alamo Heights Area?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I'm going to guess that the SPIRIT of the law was to keep parked cars from obstructing the traffic flow and causing a hazard.
As someone stated, all cars are different widths.
If the Lotus was inside the white lines, which again I'm going to guess were painted on the road to indicate where a car has to park within, then I don't see what the freakin' problem could be!
The meter maid or cop who wrote that ticket is working under the LETTER of the law and is doing nothing more than creating revenue, showing his/her superiors that he/she is working and not sleeping, or is just a moron with no sense of discretion.

So if your car was parked within the white lines then I'd side with you and say this is a BS ticket. What's your time worth? You could take a picture of your car inside the lines and the measurement from the curb, and then try to protest the ticket, but just like the opinions on this site you're going to face someone who will say:
1. You broke the law so pay the ticket
OR
2. You're right. You're clearly within the painted lines even though your tiny car is more than 18 inches from the curb. We'll make this ticket disappear right now.

The chances of some city worker taking the time to use his/her gray matter and actually get up out of their seat to try to help you out are clearly not in your favor. My experience with civil service is that they take the path of least resistance - which in this case is possibility #1 listed above.

Oh, and I work for a big City so my opinions are derived from the inside.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I would send them a picture of your car within all the lines and tell them to screw off.
:up:
I've never heard of a cop equipped with a measuring tape to confirm distance from the curb.

If you told me it was true and asked me to guess where, the last place I would think of would be Texas...:coolnana:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
It's 12" in Chicago. I got one once. We are allowed to appeal parking tickets by mail, which I did, and won. I wrote a nice simple paragraph, they don't want to read an essay...but I had a line something like...'I didn't have a measuring tape with me, but I doubt the police officer did either.'

I was told later that they use there shoe as a rule of thumb. Guess you have to hope the cops wear size 15's.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got nailed with a similar ticket. I was parked about 2 ft. from the curb in an angle parking area. I was miffed because the intent of the rule is to deter retards in long bed pick up trucks from sticking out into traffic.

To protect my front end, I leave a little distance, but my tail end was still shorter than most typical cars as far as hanging out there.

I broke the rule. I paid the ticket.

It doesn't mean the rule is right though.
kev

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is. You violated the law, you have to pay. If you read the TX code for parking, it clearly states it.

§ 545.303. ADDITIONAL PARKING REGULATIONS. (a) An
operator who stops or parks on a two-way roadway shall do so with
the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel to and within 18
inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

Intent of law matters...well, it's supposed to.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Sorry about the circumstances - but thanks for the info.
I would never have thought there were rules like this (anyone know what the PA distance is?)
In the UK there's no rule - they would probably book you for obstruction if you were far out enough to cause problems - but there's no "measurement".

That said - I've been with drivers who park so far away from the kerb (curb) that the only logical response is to open the passenger door - take a good look - turn to the driver and say "It's OK - I can walk from here..."

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Ignorance of the law, is no defense.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who said anything about ignorance of the law? :huh:

I said "intent of law", meaning the law intends for you to not be in the road or blocking traffic and if his car was not, which we assume it wasn't, he didn't need to be ticketed at all.

But then again, we really should be looking at parking tickets as a means of revenue for the municipality rather than actually protecting anyone...in most cases.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts