The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the groups opinion? Is this totaled?

What you can't see is that both doors are broken, as well as the diffuser.

The frame and suspension seems to be fine. How much will this costs to repair? Guestimates welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Anything else in the rear damaged along with the diffusor?

From what I can see from this one picture it looks like:
- Front clam
- Crash structure
- Front Turn signals
- Windshield

Plus what you said:
- Doors (The mounting/hinges okay?)
- Diffuser
- Paint and Misc

That would add up quick if you had a shop repair it. In terms of whether it would be totaled is up to the insurance really. Some are more lenient than other in terms of repair costs to value and may all value the Lotus differently.

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I worked in auto body as a tech for a few years through college. In VA, not sure about any other states, a car 6 years old or newer must hit 75% of the NADA value. Older cars can hit 100%. I would guess it would take a lot more than that to total an Elise. It's hard to tell though from the one picture. You can't say for sure there is no frame damage since there is no "hood" like on typical cars you cannot see easily the squareness of the frame. To tell you would have to lift it up and measure the underside likely. For example, on a regular car, you would measure the distance between the rear top driver fender bolt located under/next to the windshield and the front passenger fender bolt. If that measurement is the same as the other way (making an X with your measuring tape) then the frame is square. The hood, being square itself, can be used as a reference. The gap between the hood and the fenders should remain constant from the windshield to the front of the car. If not, likely the frame is bent (can also appear with poor fender/hood adjustment).

None of this applies to the Elise though. You'd have to do it how you measure the rear of a regular car by measuring identical crossing points points on the underside of the car, making an X with your measurement to produce a square or diamond(bent frame).

·
Registered
841 Posts
If all that is damaged is what's in the picture it's not totaled. My wild ass guess is you're looking at a new clam and new crash structure. You can do it yourself.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231/crash-structure-replacement-92852/

But if that really isn't all that is wrong, it can become a totaled-car proposition, yes. You need to take the wheels off so we can look at your suspension geometry. Also take pictures of the sides and rear of the car.

Glad you're ok, but, what happened?

·
Registered
370 Posts
+1 on wondering about the door hinge mount. Bent mount = no repair

Also are the sill panels under the door damaged?

My guess is it will get to $20K+ pretty quickly if it's not totaled. I cracked a clam in my old Exige hitting a dog and it was $13K just for clam and crash structure.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ok, I gotta chime in light of a recent thread - 'top speed'

Please, tell us the nature of what caused this. The 'top speed/ball-less' guy is the guy who totalled his car? Shocked, I say, shocked.

I don't mean to pile on - a totalled car sucks and I hope you are ok, but I can't help but wonder if this is a 'live by the sword/die by the sword' thing.

Also, where are your mirrors? Seems odd that they are missing - plinths are there, but not the mirrors. What happened?

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Can't say we didn't see this coming from day one. Some people just shouldn't own these cars...

And yes, I'd say that's totaled.

·
Registered
668 Posts
like some others said... clam crash structure ... lights. it will add up to 15k+ if a shop does it. But if you do it it will be less. assuming that you did not hit anything with the tires as well, where you bent the frame. i hope you can get it fixed :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 on wondering about the door hinge mount. Bent mount = no repair

Also are the sill panels under the door damaged?
The drivers door flung open upon impact and will not shut properly. The passenger door is broken at the mirror mount.

As poetically perfect it would be (for some of you) for me to have wrecked at wild speeds; that is not what happened.

Here is the breakdown: I was on a 2 lane road following a pretty hefty line of traffic which was being held up by several over zealous cyclists. They cyclists were well into the middle of the road. I was behind a 18 wheeler whom went around the group; I immediately followed and attempted a pass of the trucker. The trucker jerked into the passing lane as I was about half way around him. I reacted and hit the ditch; which was filled with water and downed trees. I hit several trees and landed on a angle, half in the ditch and half out.

The trucker was swerving to avoid more cyclists. My estimated speed was 60-70 mph.

At some point during the spinning and impact my hardtop popped off; which I found odd.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I gotta chime in light of a recent thread - 'top speed'

Please, tell us the nature of what caused this. The 'top speed/ball-less' guy is the guy who totalled his car? Shocked, I say, shocked.

I don't mean to pile on - a totalled car sucks and I hope you are ok, but I can't help but wonder if this is a 'live by the sword/die by the sword' thing.

Also, where are your mirrors? Seems odd that they are missing - plinths are there, but not the mirrors. What happened?
It does seem more plausible for this to have happened on a open 4 mile straight; with no traffic......Good theory.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The drivers door flung open upon impact and will not shut properly. The passenger door is broken at the mirror mount.

As poetically perfect it would be (for some of you) for me to have wrecked at wild speeds; that is not what happened.

Here is the breakdown: I was on a 2 lane road following a pretty hefty line of traffic which was being held up by several over zealous cyclists. They cyclists were well into the middle of the road. I was behind a 18 wheeler whom went around the group; I immediately followed and attempted a pass of the trucker. The trucker jerked into the passing lane as I was about half way around him. I reacted and hit the ditch; which was filled with water and downed trees. I hit several trees and landed on a angle, half in the ditch and half out.

The trucker was swerving to avoid more cyclists. My estimated speed was 60-70 mph.

At some point during the spinning and impact my hardtop popped off; which I found odd.
Did your you airbags activate?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts

well poetic justice to all my cycling friends that have been hit and run off the road by over zealous cars then !

:)

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
70 mph passing a bunch of people on bicycles?

That's a winning strategy!

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
70 mph passing a bunch of people on bicycles?

That's a winning strategy!
100% what I was thinking. BTW a cyclist owns the lane every bit as much as a car does. From someone who was hit by a car doing 60 when I was 14 I know you use extra caution around bikes. Saying speed didn't contribute when you are passing bikes and attempting to get around a truck at the same time doesn't seem correct in the least...

Are you a Jedi sir?
Yup

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Just promise us 1 thing LSU...

If you cant fix your current Elise, please don't buy another one.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts