The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm nearly sold on getting the Touring package, except for the leather. Why don't I want it? Well, leather typically does poorly in open top cars -- too much exposure to the elements (sun, possible rain, etc.) and I'm not sure its going to last as long as I would like it to, especially with my fairly lazy attitude to car interior cleaning/maintenence.

The leather in my 5 year old VW is now cracking, and looking quite a bit "stretched" from the wear and tear, especially in the drivers seat, which gets a lot more usage. I'm certain that cloth seats would look much better at that age.

In addition, leather is generally known for having much less lateral grip than even the most basic cloth, which is also very evident in my current car.

So, is it going to be possible to get the Touring package without the Leather?

Yes, I've thought about not getting the touring pack at all, but I'd really like power windows, the carpets, sound insulation, etc. The MP3 stereo I can do aftermarket, so thats not really an issue.

Steve

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm sure someone would be willing to switch seats with you, and you could get a little money back as well. Otherwise, you cannot order it the way you want from the factory.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Vantage said:
I'm sure someone would be willing to switch seats with you, and you could get a little money back as well. Otherwise, you cannot order it the way you want from the factory.
That would be a good idea. :)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
slacy said:
I'm nearly sold on getting the Touring package, except for the leather. Why don't I want it? Well, leather typically does poorly in open top cars -- too much exposure to the elements (sun, possible rain, etc.) and I'm not sure its going to last as long as I would like it to, especially with my fairly lazy attitude to car interior cleaning/maintenence.

The leather in my 5 year old VW is now cracking, and looking quite a bit "stretched" from the wear and tear, especially in the drivers seat, which gets a lot more usage. I'm certain that cloth seats would look much better at that age.

In addition, leather is generally known for having much less lateral grip than even the most basic cloth, which is also very evident in my current car.

So, is it going to be possible to get the Touring package without the Leather?

Yes, I've thought about not getting the touring pack at all, but I'd really like power windows, the carpets, sound insulation, etc. The MP3 stereo I can do aftermarket, so thats not really an issue.

Steve
Unfortunately, the base car comes with leather as well. The touring package doesn't have a whole lot more leather than the base car.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm going to the show tonight to see for myself, but as I understand it EVERY seat has leather bottom and back, even the cloth seats. The touring package seats just extend the amount of leather a bit into the headrest and bolsters. If you want pure cloth you'll have to have them made, perhaps after the weathering you are concerned about has done damage to the original material. As to the rest of the touring package I don't really care about electric windows. I don't care about extra insulation of the softop because I'm going to buy the hardtop for cold rainy weather. If I'm going on a long road trip and want the car to be quieter I'll use the hardtop instead of the stock softop.

I was against leather because it is slicker than cloth and tends to make you slip around during hard cornering. I'm starting to change my mind a bit after finding out every seat is partially leather. If I can't avoid the slick surface then I may just go with more of it as it may make entry and exit from the car easier. I'll trust the small size of the car and the design of the seats will minimize slip while cornering. I'm going to sit in one tonight and find out.

Steve

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The touring package also adds insulation in the body of the car which Nick says makes the car much quieter and cooler. The insulated soft top is much better than the standard soft top. The soft top actually leads to a quieter ride than the hard top, because it absorbs noise rather than reflecting it. However, the hard top gives the car a much different look and looks quite stylish.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
My understanding is that the leather is in the seat/back area. Wouldn't the bolster/shoulder hug you more and provide more traction and keep you from sliding?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts