The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was driving up Griffith park today on Western a kind fellow pulled up next to me in a silver Prius and warned me that I should remove my tow hook. At first I was confused to why a guy in a Prius would care if I have my tow hook attached but he mentioned that he also owns a Lotus. :clap:I usually have this attached as an extra barrier in case my front clam gets hit. However, he mentioned that even a slight hit to the tow hook would damage the crash structure. Is this true? Would I be better off getting one of those folding tow hooks from sector111 or does it even matter? Thanks guys in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I believe for towing function it is OK to place stress on that area. Inward pushing forces would damage the crash structure.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Of course, it's structually built into the frame of the car. If it gets crushed, so does the structure of the car.

If something hits the rod without a hook in it, and crushes it, the car it's connected to is going to be bent up, correct? If it didn't, it wouldn't be a viable tow area because it would be too weak.
With a hook in it, it just extends the possibility for that to happen by outstretching that area, which is why they are hidden away/flush with the car...

That is why folding hooks exist. And why you shouldn't really attach a fixed hook until you need it, unless you can accept the risk that it could happen.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Of course, it's structually built into the frame of the car. If it gets crushed, so does the structure of the car.

If something hits the rod without a hook in it, and crushes it, the car it's connected to is going to be bent up, correct? If it didn't, it wouldn't be a viable tow area because it would be too weak.
With a hook in it, it just extends the possibility for that to happen by outstretching that area, which is why they are hidden away/flush with the car...

That is why folding hooks exist. And why you shouldn't really attach a fixed hook until you need it, unless you can accept the risk that it could happen.
Thanks for the information. Sounds like something that might be in the manual? or should be maybe?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
What purpose is a folding hook? How often are you towing your car that you need to have it handy at all times? When it IS needed, is taking 15 secs to pull the stock one out of the trunk and screwing it in an issue?

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
Thanks for the information. Sounds like something that might be in the manual? or should be maybe?
The manual describes where the tow hook lives and how it should be used so in essence it is there...

What purpose is a folding hook? How often are you towing your car that you need to have it handy at all times? When it IS needed, is taking 15 secs to pull the stock one out of the trunk and screwing it in an issue?
For people who track their car often. If you do a little "gardening" while on a track day you can get dirt in the thread making it harder to install the tow ring when needed too.

And then there are people who think it looks cool...

·
Registered
571 Posts
'Perhaps' it should be now that I think about it. But like all 'aftermarket' stuff I guess it'd be as thick as a novel on explaining why quick release steering wheels and turbos etc are 'bad mkay.' :D:sad:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just wondering if insurance would even cover any structural damage as a result of the hook bending the frame,.....after all it would be an aftermarket part that caused the damage. In most if not all accidents, there's going to be cosmetic damage. But if there's an instance where the frame could have been saved if it wasn't for the hook, I'm thinking some insurance companies could get nasty with it be an issue with full coverage.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You're probably right, depending on the policy. If they knew about it or not I suppose. Many of them would try to throw the book on that one.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Just wondering if insurance would even cover any structural damage as a result of the hook bending the frame,.....after all it would be an aftermarket part that caused the damage. In most if not all accidents, there's going to be cosmetic damage. But if there's an instance where the frame could have been saved if it wasn't for the hook, I'm thinking some insurance companies could get nasty with it be an issue with full coverage.

Interesting point. Anybody out there have this come into play on a claim? Or any insurance people care to give their expert opinion? Very interesting and intriguing thought on this.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Look at it this way. Lotus provides the hole. If you fill it, you have to pay the price. :p rotfl

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Would take a very sleezy insurance to not cover it.

Same goes for a trailer ball. Let's say I get rear ended in my truck and it bends the frame because of the leverage on the trailer ball. Well, not my fault that their driver hit me. They need to make the truck 100%.

(and just FYI, I am getting my truck back today from an accident where a car hit me)

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Unless you want to install it before every track day (if you track) get a folding one. You can't install it after you have an off and need it, since you can not get out of the car in the first place on a hot track.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Speaking of folding hooks, I don't really like the ones that are made just for the Lotus... they look as if made in someone's garage on a rainy day. OTOH, I like the looks of these 05 06 07 08 09 LOTUS ELISE EXIGE S S240 RACING TOW HOOK | eBay but I don't know if anyone has actually fit one to their car...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Speaking of folding hooks, I don't really like the ones that are made just for the Lotus... they look as if made in someone's garage on a rainy day. OTOH, I like the looks of these 05 06 07 08 09 LOTUS ELISE EXIGE S S240 RACING TOW HOOK | eBay but I don't know if anyone has actually fit one to their car...
I have it on my car, and it's worked flawlessly. I've gotten a good number of compliments on it, and non-Lotus owners have asked/assumed that it's an OEM hook. When folded, the hook is flush with the front edge of the clam. (Looking to see if I have pics.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts