The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to sound like a cheap-skate, but has anyone painted the tow hook that came with the elise/exige?

I really like the look of these, but can't fathom why the piece is selling for $75.00. It looks less than $4 in parts from home depot.

Folding Front Tow Hook

anyone have ideas to have the same look but without throwing money at it?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have that exact tow hook from S111 and can attest that they are high quality.

You gotta pay the cost to be the boss!

That being said, you could probably powdercoat or paint your OEM hook no problems. The OEM hook is probably more durable than the aftermarket version bling.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I made a combination license plate mount, tow hook and used Black Rustoleum.
Came out nice. Hardly noticeable against the black grill (which is what I wanted).

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
more of an FYI (based on what i have gathered in other threads)... but the reason folding hooks are recommended for our cars is because its a no-no to leave the factory tow hook in...

since the factory hook protrudes further than anything on the front clam it means its the first thing to make impact which will crush the support beam that’s its attached too (even if you accidentally bump against a wall)... that support beam is meant to be pulled not pushed

hence why folding hooks are the way to go if you plan on leaving the hook in at all times... so there is a reason they fold & its not just for looks

with that said, i would agree that $75 is on the high end for that folding unit... but i would imagine replacing that support beam that it threads into if it were to get bent back would be much more

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just get Jim Clayton's folding hook... got it for $40 something and I've been very happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts