The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my 83 Esprit was in the shop for some PM, I was asking the mechanics about the location of tow points on my car. I think this is something that I should know in case the car breaks and needs to be placed on a flatbed, and apparently I stumped them with this question.

Is there a tow point on the front or rear? I've seen some people install tow rings on the front, is that possible on the earlier Esprits? Wat are the pros & cons of tow rings?

Thanks

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,849 Posts
I read others say that the front, bolt-on factory tow eyes were not that great on the Stevens cars...so you probably are not missing much by not having one.

When my Esprit was put on a flatbed, straps were fitted around the crossmember in front (one each on the outboard ends, near the lower control arm pickup points). Planks under the front wheels kept the nose from scraping.

In the back, the bottom of the frame hoop (under the trans) is mighty strong. But, the lower control arms are WEAK! Don't ever let them secure the car by those!

Once on the trailer or flatbed, the type of stays that fit over the tires are preferred. (I assume you have the BBS style wheels that don't lend themselves to through-the-wheel straps.)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The front tow eye on the Stevens cars is not very robust but it works fine for pulling onto a flatbead. I wouldn't want to tow it down the street though...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I read others say that the front, bolt-on factory tow eyes were not that great on the Stevens cars...so you probably are not missing much by not having one.

When my Esprit was put on a flatbed, straps were fitted around the crossmember in front (one each on the outboard ends, near the lower control arm pickup points). Planks under the front wheels kept the nose from scraping.

In the back, the bottom of the frame hoop (under the trans) is mighty strong. But, the lower control arms are WEAK! Don't ever let them secure the car by those!

Once on the trailer or flatbed, the type of stays that fit over the tires are preferred. (I assume you have the BBS style wheels that don't lend themselves to through-the-wheel straps.)
My baby had her first flatbed ride after 11 years of ownership. First thing I did was consult Brother Carbuff, followed his instructions as he mentioned here and she had a safe ride home.

I suggest pulling it nose on first because it gives a wider pull point vs. trying to load rear end first and just pulling on the center. I wraped the straps around the inside of the front sub-frame near the lower control arm bolt point, not on the control arm. This gave a wide even pull. When it's on, cinch the car down, lock the steering wheel in center to prevent the tire wraps from pulling one way or the other, place in gear and pull the e-brake. You'll be good to go. Boards are very important! Loading my car was a breeze.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Didn't think you would want the car in gear or the ebrake on for the tow ride. I thought that would be hard on the gearbox and ebrake because of the strong movement of the car on a trailer versus parking on a hill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts