The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about cutting 4 inches off my penis and unlearning how to drive so I can be eligible to buy an SUV... What do you guys/girls use to tow your cars to the track if you don't drive them there. I have an 06' Exige and a 97 993 that I don't want to put excessive mileage on driving back and forth between tracks throughout the year. Also what trailers do you strap to them?

·
Registered
326 Posts
V8 Ford Explorer 2WD. Its the wifes, honest.

Toyota Tacoma 4-door Pickup V6 Auto. It gets 17MPG with the Lotus/trailer hooked up. The Toyota brakes would be overtaxed if the trailer didn't have 'em.

Trailer is a 16' 7000# GVW 2-axle dove tail with brakes on one axle. Definately overkill for the Elise.

A much smaller trailer would suffice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I went for most towing power for the least price since I was only going to utilize the vehicle for towing. I bought an F-150 work truck, nothing fancy, grey cloth seats, white paint, and manual mirrors (wish I had gotten remote ones). For the trailer I decide to go with a Sloan's Kwik Load. I can load the trailer relatively quickly by myself. I had them put e-track on the trailer and use e-track tire bonnets from eTrailer to hold it down. I'll see if I can find I pic of the setup.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Dennis said:
I went for most towing power for the least price since I was only going to utilize the vehicle for towing. I bought an F-150 work truck, nothing fancy, grey cloth seats, white paint, and manual mirrors (wish I had gotten remote ones). For the trailer I decide to go with a Sloan's Kwik Load. I can load the trailer relatively quickly by myself. I had them put e-track on the trailer and use e-track tire bonnets from eTrailer to hold it down. I'll see if I can find I pic of the setup.
I'd be interested in your set up if you could find pics/links.
I think I am eventually going to go with one of those (expensive:mad:) aluminum trailers that were talked about on the forum a few months ago. I don't want to have to buy a new tow vehicle. I have very low mileage 2002 Pathfinder with 240bhp/265lb-ft. which is rated at 5000lbs. I figure with one of those light weight trailers and the required electric braking system on the trailer I should be OK.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I enjoy my Yukon, not that I tow with it. It's comfortable and does it's thing well. Really, any full size P/U or SUV will do the job. But, if you're going to get another vehicle, think about what else you can do with it. Drive people around? Haul mulch? Home Depot? Whatever. A no-frills work truck might be the right answer, but consider an SUV. With the new Tahoes/Yukons out, you should be able to get a used one of the prior body style for next to nothing. If it's going to take up driveway/garage space, it should be useful for more than just the drive to the track.

And, if your drives to the track are that long, you'll want something with a decent interior.

And, used trucks hold their value well and are low maintenance.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
my mobile garage. it has AC, air compressor, tool box thats attached to cabinetry, microwave, shade awning and a generator. i got it used on ebay. i love it almost as much as my Elise. All my track stuff is in there, and track day comes, i just hook up to the truck, and off i go. its a 24' trailer. towing it can be with most any truck/suv. you need trailer brakes in the tow vehicle(a must), and make sure to get an equalizer hitch and anti sway bar on the hitch as well. longer wheel based vehicles seem to tow easier than short wheelbased. i use a dually, and dont know the trailer is back there, but when i have used my 3/4 ton truck with a shortbed(short wheel base), its a bit of an "adventure". check ebay for trailers, i saved big coin on mine, and had money to buy car parts with instead of loosing it on depreciation of a new trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
with all the extras on it the origonal owner paid ~$22K.
I got it for $8,000. when i am done with it, i am sure i can get my $8K back.
buy used, and shop around. ebay was a great asset in the seach( i think i looked under enclosed trailers). this one is built by Pace, I also have a Haulmark trailer which seems to be well built also.
investigate the brand you buy, some trailers are junk, some are not. It was 100 degress plus last saturday at the track, the AC was really nice to have:up: , and being able to cook at the trackday with the microwave was nice also. Sure beats an expensive "track burger" that rots in your gut.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think you get great bang for the buck and great towing capacity with a used, full-size pickup. My Ram 2500 pulls a steel trailer and a 3000 lb. car like there's nothing there.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Nissan Titan (tons of torque, I love this truck) and flatbed. It would be nice to have a closed container but damn those things are expensive. Also, I use a horse saddle strap around each strap to prevent damge to my wheels (sorry, no pics of that but it works great).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
originally posted by mpsalm:
So I'm thinking about cutting 4 inches off my penis and unlearning how to drive so I can be eligible to buy an SUV...
LMAO rotfl rotfl

When I did tow, I had a used Discovery. POS unreliable, but it could pull a house.

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
The combo of the F-150 and an aluminum trailer works great. With the Elise being so light and the lightweight Featherlite trailer, the only difficult part of towing is keeping the speed down. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Jack said:
The combo of the F-150 and an aluminum trailer works great. With the Elise being so light and the lightweight Featherlite trailer, the only difficult part of towing is keeping the speed down. ;)
Did your trailer come with the air dam?

I does look nice:up:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts