The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
The strongest part of the chassis is where the rear undertray/diffuser attaches to the chassis. On Motorsport cars, that is the rear tow point. That point is strong enough to tow a Motorsport car backwards out of a gravel trap.

If you wanted to tow a wheel cart, you'd have to design something that attached to those two points. The problem would be tongue weight, as you could not attach the hitch to the body farther back. The body and sub-chassis cannot take any weight.

I know a number of guys who rent a U-Haul open car trailer; one rents that and a truck for track days. A lot of Porsche guys carry their wheel/tires on the roof in a rack simular to the ones discussed above...

Roy

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hmm... that sounds very doable. Tongue weight can be kept to almost zero and if you can use those points to tow the car backwards, you should be able to use them to attach a rolling load of 150 pounds.

My plan will be to design some minimal brackets that attach to those points on the car and that then provide attachment points for the hitch. The brackets can stay on the car. Now I just need a car.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts