The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper PSI to use on the toyo 888 tires?

i've done about an hour of research this morning trying to find the answer. Mostly I see 23/25 psi FOR TRACK... but I looking for just a daily driver psi ratings.

The Toyo page: Proxes R888 | Toyo Tires says 32-38 PSI. does this sound correct?

Currently running
fronts: 195/50zr16/84w
backs: 225/45zr17 94w

The fronts are currently 35ish, the backs are currently 40ish. (set from dealer a while back)

the max psi is 50 on each tire.

thoughts or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I used 26 frt and 28 rear and the wore even. Thats with track time

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have found that the sidewalls are pretty stiff on the R888's, and you can safely run a pound or 2 (cold) below the recommended 26f/29r without risk. I get pretty good wear keeping them somewhere between 25f/27r and 26f/28r on the street. If you run the rears much higher than 28, you'll likely see accelerated center wear.

My cold pressures on track days start out lower to account for the greater amount of heat generated in track driving. I check and adjust after each session based upon wear and feel.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here's what I run....hope it helps:

R888 Tire Pressure: Front 195/50ZR16-84W and Rear 245/40ZR17-91W on Cup255 rims
Street = 26psi Front and 29 Rear
Track = 22psi Both Front and Rear (Hot target pressure = 28 psi)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it has been a year and i'm about to get new back tires.

about 4,000 miles ago... from what ive seen, the middle of the back tire wore much quicker than the rest with 26/29.

for the last 2,000 miles, i bumped it down to race specs 22/24 and that seemed to help. (driving on weekends only). now they are a bit more evenly worn, but the middle is bald. i wont be driving it until the new ones come in.

once the new ones are on, i think i'll leave the fronts on 24 and the backs on 24/25 too.

just a fyi. if i've done something wrong, let me know. ;-)

·
Registered
399 Posts
You might want to keep a 2psi bias front to rear as it affects the front/rear response feel from steering inputs. As well as feel, actual capability is affected by tire pressure although this probably isn't an issue for normal street driving. It might come into play for an emergency maneuver, however.

On newer cars with TPMS, the dash warning for low tire pressure turns on sometimes as early as 25psi and it cycles the warning over the normal dash info so your coolant temperature is not always visible. Problem on the track -- I've got to get this stopped or made switchable on my 2008 Exige.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
I run 19-PSI front / 21-PSI rear all the time...even though I do track my car. This is a very light car!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,685 Posts
Here's what I run....hope it helps:

R888 Tire Pressure: Front 195/50ZR16-84W and Rear 245/40ZR17-91W on Cup255 rims
Street = 26psi Front and 29 Rear
Track = 22psi Both Front and Rear (Hot target pressure = 28 psi)
What HE said. :up:

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
i felt like i was running that, but it was still wearing the middle faster.

the reason i was thinking to bump it up 2 psi is because i thought it might be too low...
The middle of the tire tread wares out when the tire is over inflated. The shoulders (edges) of the tire tread wares out when the tire is under inflated.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right, i got that.

i am trying to state the above isn't correct - causing an uneven wear of the tire.

"Street = 26psi Front and 29 Rear
Track = 22psi Both Front and Rear (Hot target pressure = 28 psi)"
this is incorrect.

The middle of the tire tread wares out when the tire is over inflated. The shoulders (edges) of the tire tread wares out when the tire is under inflated.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
And what I'm trying to tell you is that you are on the right track... but learn to read the signs. For an amateur mechanic without a pyrometer, you are going about it the right way. Real racers use pure nitrogen in their tires...where you see 6-degrees pressure variation, with nitrogen, you might see one. In the Lotus community, there is such a great range in lightness (weight), use of car (track to auto-cross to street driving ratios) and driving styles, that any pressures you are told here are just about useless. Keep doing what you've been doing and have Lo(u)s of fun. We have just validated for you that much lower pressures are the norm for the Lotus...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i appreciate it!!

Thank you and thank everyone else for their help!

And what I'm trying to tell you is that you are on the right track... but learn to read the signs. For an amateur mechanic without a pyrometer, you are going about it the right way. Real racers use pure nitrogen in their tires...where you see 6-degrees pressure variation, with nitrogen, you might see one. In the Lotus community, there is such a great range in lightness (weight), use of car (track to auto-cross to street driving ratios) and driving styles, that any pressures you are told here are just about useless. Keep doing what you've been doing and have Lo(u)s of fun. We have just validated for you that much lower pressures are the norm for the Lotus...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts