The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new toyo r888's put on and OMG....

I bought my Exige several weeks ago, and it had continental extreme contacts on it. I wasnt happy with the 'feel' of the car, so i ordered the toyos (tire rack), after researching on this site. The comparison between them and the toyos is not even worthy to be compared!

After the garage took the continentals off, i was 'squishing' the sides of the tires, and they were incredibly soft. I tried it on the toyos and you couldnt do it.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Definitely a different class of tire, R-comps. R888s actually have a softer sidewall than other R-comps like the A048.

·
Anthony
604 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Anybody tried the nitto nt-01 , I have been using the yokahamas ao48's but was looking for a better deal ( I can them cheap) but was curious if I would lose any grip, this car is not a track vehicle just a toy, but I do like to push it sometimes on the back roads. I don't want to take a chance and find out they aren't going to perform as well as the yokes do. Any input would be a great help to me.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
I recently had an email discussion with a guy named Tim, that happened to be flying around the track at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in his 2001 Miata.
I had asked him how or when he knew it was time to upgrade to a "race" compound tire. I'm using Toyo R1R's right now and love them, especially in the rain, but thought about moving up to a tire with more grip for next season. He is using the tire in question.
Here is his email reply:

"Hi Chris,

Oh good questions - I was concerned with what people say about race tires breaking away rapidly, with no warning. I went from Dunlop Direzza Star Specs to Nitto NT-01's last season. Also from oem pads to Hawk HP+ pads. The Nitto's offer no more grip than the star specs, but they don't seem to get slimy, either. Same for the brake pads, they remain very consistent throughout the sessions. Perhaps if you get a more dedicated race tire, the break-away issue is more prevalent, but for me, the Nitto's are great. I've had a number of unexpected slides that were very controllable. My fastest instructor told me that unless I was hearing my street tires squeal on every turn, I wasn't ready for race tires. I read somewhere to push each turn's braking point by 3 feet at a time until you find the limit… that's really hard unless you are putting in the time on the track. I think I upgraded my tires as much because I was getting smoked on the track by the other Miata's running 1:23's and was fed up getting passed all session long. I'm faster now and can still push the tires harder with some care and planning."

So considering that I'm not hearing the squealing around the track, I'm staying with the R1R's for now. I can relate to what he told me, I was squealing, sliding, etc... in my S/C Miata riding on Toyo T1R's in the past. They would definitely get slimy half way through a session. That car was ready for upgraded tires.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I run my R888's F22psi/R24psi cold

Like glue, they will make your neck hurt from the turning force

3 years of them and I guess my next option is slicks (not on the road unfourtately, but maybe hear and there)

And best riding tire I ever found

1 - 9 of 9 Posts