The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No wonder you race guys hate my recommendation of the Yokohama S-Drive for a street tire, it's like driving on slime compared to the R888. Just got back from wearing the paint off of mine, and the difference is night and day. Of course, is should be, as the R888 is a flat-out competition tire. Still, it'll make it damn hard to swap back I can tell you that.

I'm also a bit surprised by how quiet, and compliant the ride is (cold street pressures are 23F & 26R), I expected much worse. This will undoubtedly change as they wear, but for now I'm quite enjoying the Cadillac.

Lastly, I still feel the tire is a bit large (OD) for the car, but they certainly give the car a purposeful look (compared to a true street tire), much like the stock A048's.

Just thought I'd share my experience, pix soon.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Definitely the ride is super quiet and very smooth when they are new. When you take off an old set of R888s and put on a new one, you can notice a huge difference.

Slowly you will notice the tires starting to roar a bit (particularly after a few track days), but it's not bad. Somehow as they get harder and tread wears off, the ride gets a bit harsher too, but I don't know how that's possible. But hey, like you said, they are performance tires. These cars are hardly comfortable or quiet to start.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, exactly right.

Sad to say, but the car will probably never see a track, and with my camber set at -1.5 F&R, I'm hoping to get 20K out of these. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yes, exactly right.

Sad to say, but the car will probably never see a track, and with my camber set at -1.5 F&R, I'm hoping to get 20K out of these. We'll see.
I've tried R888's once. Not crazy about them. I much prefer the A048's... but there is no way in hell you are going to get 20k out of A048's... probably not R888's either.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried R888's once. Not crazy about them. I much prefer the A048's... but there is no way in hell you are going to get 20k out of A048's... probably not R888's either.
I've driven on the A048's, and can't tell much difference on the street. As far as 20K out of the R888's, I'll take that bet :).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm a fan of the R888 for a street tire on the Exige. FWIW I run cold street pressures of 26f/29r, as the OEM pressure decal recommends. I find the R888's prefer much higher pressures than the A048's, have very little tolerance for heat [aka suck on the track], but actually grip at ambient.

20k miles isn't going to happen. I have ~5,700 miles on my R888's and they're just now at the wear bars in back. That's including 2 track days and a weekend at the Dragon. I know I'm running more power, but I also never turn off my traction control.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've had the 048s, Kumho MX, RT615s, R888s, and now i'm on Direzza star specs. Of them all the Direzza will surely last the longest. I think I'll get 15k out of them. But when these are gone, and I'm working hard on that, I'm going back to the R888s for the street.
The direzza's new had less grip than the worn out R888s. Now, i'm on half used up direzzas and it's quite annoying with the supercharger and the open diff.

And yes, there's no way you're getting 20k out of those tires. 10-15k maybe if you baby it, but then why get grippy tires?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have the Toyos R1R and prefer them to the A048....No track days but spirited drives in the hills and they are doing great. Hope to get 15K out of them :)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
LOL VisualEchos!
You almost gave me a verbal beat-down a few posts ago over the S-Drives ;)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Didn't I send you pics of the car with R888's installed a couple years ago? Can't recall. Anyway, I like them. They're all I've been running. You *might* have a shot of getting 20K miles out of the fronts. Maybe. Depends on how you drive and also depends on how much time elapses (too much time and you'll have to replace them anyway even if they still have tread). But the rears, I don't think so. I'm about to put on my third set and have gotten about 6K miles on each so far with only about two track days per year. Everyday driving is on a lot of back roads but also on a lot of highway.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, a quick garage pic...

Sticky Sweet. by VisualEchos, on Flickr

Now, about the 20,000 mile bit. Do you guys have perfectly even wear across your tires when they're worn out? I'm betting not. Why? Simple; from the factory the Elise/Exige wears the outside of the front tires, and the inside of the rears. This is because of the factory camber settings (F -.2°, R -2.5°). My camber is set to -1.5° front and rear, which will correct the factory wear issue. Secondly, I drive normal most of the time, just the odd country road blast now and again. So yes, I believe I'll get 20K out of them, but if I don't, no worries, they're cheap as hell!

On a side note, at full lock the fronts rub, and I'm dropped .75" all the way around.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, scratch that, they don't rub, I have a small section of the plastic inner fender liner contacting the tire because of a bulge in it. Guess it got a little bent somehow. Should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I mean if you get 20k out of them, I wonder why you would buy an R-comp in the first place. Perhaps driving feel. But a Dunlop Direzza has more grip than you can use on the street. I would guess that the rears will go first.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I run 23/26 cold for the street to avoid wearing out the middle of the rear tires. I'm not pushing the car hard on the street and besides with some tires, that puts you at a decent pressure hot anyway.

I am running Direzza Z-1 as street tires. I run BFG slicks on track. I was very pleasantly surprised with the Dunlops both on street and on track. I hadn't planned to ever run them on track, but ended up doing so a few times. Don't sell them short.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mean if you get 20k out of them, I wonder why you would buy an R-comp in the first place. Perhaps driving feel. But a Dunlop Direzza has more grip than you can use on the street. I would guess that the rears will go first.

Enjoy!
I decided on the R888's for the way they look, I'm an automotive photographer :).

The Direzza is worse fitment, and not nearly as nice to look at.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Yes, exactly right.

What did you do to get that much camber in the front?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Great to see another happy believer!

I won't ever wrap my wheels in those shoddy A048's again. The R888's, really, are IMO, better in EVERY way. And I was also surprised by how quiet and compliant they are for a semi slick.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts