The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing a few autocross sessions a year, in addition to semi-regular weekend canyon runs. In total, I would be surprised if I drove the car more than 1k miles a year.

I saw that the Toyo Proxes R888R are pretty cheap compared to the other tire I was looking at, The Continental ExtremeContact Sports. I was also considering Yokohama Advan A052's, but those seem to be on the level as the Proxes.

Should I just stick to the Extreme Contact Sports?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
R888R's are a phenomenal tire, but you need to get heat into them before they have full grip, so not a good AutoX tire, IMO. I've used dozens of sets of R888R's and I absolutely love the tire for the track, but would recommend something else for AutoX. If Potenza RE71R are still available, that is a kickass autoX tire (and it's what I drive on the street between track days. R888R is too noisy).

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
nITTO Mnt01 BLEW AWAY MY LAST SET OF R888S AND NOW THE gOODYEARS BLEW AWAY THE nITTOS....CLEANLY! Sorry caps lock,....again!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
R888R is 100 year old tech now. Re-71RS are not available and are the easy choice. But you need to choose what is most important because the tires you are comparing are all very very different.
was that "not" or "now" ?.. just got some and will post a little info in my Auto-x thread.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
1. The 888R is a JUNK tire, and anyone that thinks different just hasn't compared them back to back to the others.
2. In order to make your car move like it should you're going to need a 200 treadwear tire at a minimum, which leaves the Conti, and most Michelin's out.
3. The correct tires always comes down to use, but in general if you're not driving the car in rainstorms and you want it to move properly then you need to be looking at 200 treadwear tires, like the 71RS, AD09R, RT660, A052, Cup2. The R1R is OLD tech. The A052 is a cheater tire. My pick is the 71RS or AD09R, whichever is available in your sizes.

I've run derivatives of all these tires, and liked my AD08R the best overall. I wear NT01's now. Hopefully the AD09R is available in Lotus sizes, I haven't checked, but that'd be my first choice.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.
1. The 888R is a JUNK tire, and anyone that thinks different just hasn't compared them back to back to the others.
2. In order to make your car move like it should you're going to need a 200 treadwear tire at a minimum, which leaves the Conti, and most Michelin's out.
3. The correct tires always comes down to use, but in general if you're not driving the car in rainstorms and you want it to move properly then you need to be looking at 200 treadwear tires, like the 71RS, AD09R, RT660, A052, Cup2. The R1R is OLD tech. The A052 is a cheater tire. My pick is the 71RS or AD09R, whichever is available in your sizes.

I've run derivatives of all these tires, and liked my AD08R the best overall. I wear NT01's now. Hopefully the AD09R is available in Lotus sizes, I haven't checked, but that'd be my first choice.
Curious, what makes the A052 a cheater tire?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I have used the RE71R for a couple of years and now on RT 660. In my mind the RT 660 is a better tire on my local track, easier to drive on the limit with lots of feedback before it lets go.

·
He's on fire!
3,565 Posts
r888r USED to be cheap. When they were ~$650/set, I ran them a lot, they were a decent performing tire at the right price. Now that they approach $800/set, there are either much better tires for that price, or you need to switch brands for a cheaper tire.

if you can size them for your application, rt660 is a good value tire. I've elected to give v730's a go for my own application (non stock wheels).

if you're looking for outright performance and want to spend more re71rs, a052 are good choices.

the EC Sport tires, I would expect less overall grip, better rain performance, and a longer lasting tire compared to all the other tires mentioned. But if you're only driving 1k mi/yr I think all tires listed will age out before you run out of tread.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

If I had to speculate, I would say because the tire performs much better than the 200TW rating would lead you to believe. Arguably the "best" of the 200TW tires that do that

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have used R888R for years, they are definitely not the best but when they were $550 a set that is damn cheap I just don't care if it was old tech. Prices in the last year have gone up and they are no longer a value so get something fun. I am running the Falken RT660 now and setting better lap times in general over the R888R during my hpde sessions.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Well, unless I missed it, zero of these responses address OP's concern. By asking if it is "too much tire", it is pretty clear the answer is not "here's the best tire for the money".

I'd argue for the ECS for canyon carving and novice tracking. It is a very forgiving tire and has very approachable limits. Also, it'll get you home with stressing you out if you get caught in a rainstorm. I like those attributes, so that's why I use those for my daily as well as my Elise. After this set though, I'll probably "graduate" to something stickier. I just know for me and my comfort level, it is what I need for where I am at now.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts

It starts very fast, and has the most grip of all the 200 tw tires, but certainly falls off. It'll last long enough to get you in front...

245/50 16" doesn't rub in the front?
Not sure what you're asking. I run 205/40/17 in front.

Well, unless I missed it, zero of these responses address OP's concern. By asking if it is "too much tire", it is pretty clear the answer is not "here's the best tire for the money".

I'd argue for the ECS for canyon carving and novice tracking. It is a very forgiving tire and has very approachable limits. Also, it'll get you home with stressing you out if you get caught in a rainstorm. I like those attributes, so that's why I use those for my daily as well as my Elise. After this set though, I'll probably "graduate" to something stickier. I just know for me and my comfort level, it is what I need for where I am at now.
The 888R is too much tire for a "few auto-x sessions", and junk IMO.
The Conti isn't worthy of the chassis at all IMO.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys have convinced me to not get the ExtremeContact Sports. I looked at Tire Rack, DTD, and my local retailers. All say the Advans are 3-4 months out (I guess there is a tire shortage?).

So unless I want to wait an uncertain number of months, I have to go with the R888R's. I have the LSS wheels, so I've been sourcing 195/50-R16 and 225/45-R17. Maybe I should go one size wider to see if there is higher availability?

·
Registered
238 Posts
You guys have convinced me to not get the ExtremeContact Sports. I looked at Tire Rack, DTD, and my local retailers. All say the Advans are 3-4 months out (I guess there is a tire shortage?).

So unless I want to wait an uncertain number of months, I have to go with the R888R's. I have the LSS wheels, so I've been sourcing 195/50-R16 and 225/45-R17. Maybe I should go one size wider to see if there is higher availability?
Per Tire Rack website, the 71RS is available in stock sizes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Having used the Extremecontact All-Seasons in autocross this year, I have a few notes:
  • I ran tire pressures in the mid-30’s and they were still too low; I didn’t learn over the course of the year and got to the cords way too quickly (after 5800 miles and 7 autocrosses on thee rears). If I autocross them again, I would step up even higher beyond the stock recommended pressure.
  • The summer tires should be a step up in performance, but will probably still need a pretty decent bump up in tire pressures. Definitely choose summer with them for autocross
  • The tires will make a difference in autocross, but unless you’re fairly consistent with your times between runs, I think the Continentals are still a valid choice. I had a couple 15/16 run days in 80-85F weather and didn’t see overheating problems and the grip was fairly consistent. If that’s what is available right now, it may be worth a try!

Take this with a massive grain of salt though because I’m on stock rims and just ordered AD07 tires to serve as my next autocross tires having discovered the tire cords last Saturday...

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Per Tire Rack website, the 71RS is available in stock sizes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'm seeing:
Tire is Not Available for Your Vehicle
This tire isn't available in sizes 195/50R16 - 225/45R17 for your 2008 Lotus Elise SC Sport Package.
Are you looking at 175's for the front?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts