The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but couldn't find anything substantial. For guys running the r1r, what pressure are you running?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
What is your tire size, are they on LSS wheels or wider wheels, street use or track use???
My 205/45R16 front on 7" wheels are at about 22 lbs cold.
My 245/40R17 rear on 8" wheels are at about 24 lbs cold.
Watch for wear in the middle of the tread on the rears, reduce pressure before you wipe out the water channels. Expect to go through 2 to 3 sets of rear tires for every set of front tires. BTW, I love these tires.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
205/45/16 and 245/40/17. Rims are 16x7 and 17x8. All street use. These tires are nuts. I never heard my wheel carriage being hammeree by pebbles as much lol.

Those ding dongs at the tire mounting place set the psi at 60. Not sure why they did that.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Probably to set the bead of the tire; they just didn't let them back down afterwards (oops).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove about 5 miles and noticed that the steering was extremely light. Even lighter than the 195 tire that it replaced. Pull over and checked the pressure with a guage and my eye balls almost popped out of its socket. Dialed it down to 20/26.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Wow, very dangerous. You should read the shop manager the riot act.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
At 20 psi on front, you may get some sidewall roll.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I just got these last month for non track use. Guessed at the same 25-27 psi stagger I use on Yokos on the street. Seems right.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Andy,
I started my rears at 28 pounds. I found out I was wearing out the middle of the rear tires. Watch the rear wear very carefully; be prepared to lower the pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
For my altitude and driving style, 22 front and 24 rear (cold on both), provided the best balance between wall flex and consistent wear across the tread surface.
Remember, our car is very light; higher pressures cause the center of the tread patch to bulge outward and wear out.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it a bit lower.

The tires themselves are very nice for everyday driving. Driving on AO 48s is both expensive and shaky in a storm. These seem like they don't affect the steering feel much but still give a bit of standing water capability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts