The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running this setup???

If so how is it working out for you? Any Rubbing? What rims are you using?

I'm really starting to feel I need a bit more tire, but I'm just not ready to move to slicks. Actually I doubt Ill ever run slicks on the lotus as I don't want to trailer my car to the track. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I'm running the 195/225 setup, and am wondering if the 205/245 setup is more advantageous as well...

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
do the r888 come in 245?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
have the 235 40 17 in the back. i have rubbing on the inside

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
base rims, on the inside right wheel and the wheel liner.
same on left side. right side is a bit more, though both i would say is slight.

·
Registered
709 Posts
on an NA car I wouldn't go bigger than stock sizes, its too much much tire and too heavy.
Not sure I agree here - some things I've seen recently lead me to believe that it's actually pretty hard to get "too much tire" under a car unless you start doing something wacky.

That said, the skinnier front tires already bias the car toward understeer and going from a 195/225 (f/r) to a 205/245 combo is a step in the wrong direction IMHO based on width differential. Based *just on my instinct* (i.e. I have no actual first-person basis for these applications on an Elise/Exige except stock base and sport-package cars) I'd look at a 205/235 package in R888s, for example.

But that's just me :shrug:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ordered tires today, went with the following

205/55/16 F
235/40/17 R

I went ahead and had the tires shaved since they seem to behave a bit better from the start that way. Also these tires are a bit taller than stock so this will help reduce their diameter a bit.

I guess we will see how they perform at the track on my next track day, thats assuming they fit ok without any major rubbing.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much taller is 205/55/16 F compared to stock? That seems like a big difference.
A048s are the following Diameter:
F: 23.6"
R: 24.9

R888s I got are the following Diameter:
F: 24.7
R: 24.6

Looks like only the fronts are taller than stock, Im hoping the fit without issues.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
i personally went with OEM sizes, im not sure how the taller front OD will affect your car while keep almost the same rear OD???

r888 OD
195-50-16: 23.5"
225-45-17: 25"

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i personally went with OEM sizes, im not sure how the taller front OD will affect your car while keep almost the same rear OD???

r888 OD
195-50-16: 23.5"
225-45-17: 25"
I guess Ill find out shortly.. :) I can always go back to stock sizes if this doesnt work out.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I've got 195/245s on the Exige and 195/255s on the Elise. Both R888s on RACs. lots of work to fit 255s, 245s fit but tight.
interesting setup....does the extra contact in the rears help on the track?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
interesting setup....does the extra contact in the rears help on the track?
I honestly don't see how you can get much benefit from increasing rear tire size unless you also increase the front. Its just going to fail towards under steer worse than it does now and also make the car harder to rotate mid corner.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I honestly don't see how you can get much benefit from increasing rear tire size unless you also increase the front. Its just going to fail towards under steer worse than it does now and also make the car harder to rotate mid corner.
honestly, it also depends on the drivers style of driving, some people like cars to rotate more, some not so much, its not necessarily because they will be faster with that set up or not, but its what they are comfortable with

i would love to kill a bit of under steer, but r888 doesnt have the proper sizes i need, so maybe i can fix that by tuning my suspension to suite my needs and leave the tires as they are

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
What are you running for front camber? 195s have alot of grip if uprights or arms are machined.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts