The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone corded a set of R888's yet? Ive done 6 track days on my shaved R888's and they seem to be getting stickier. Not much tread left on the tires, less than 1/32nd. How much further do you think I can take it without hitting the cords? My worry is that I cord the tires on the track and then have to drive them home that way. Not a good thing to do since I do not have a way to bring an extra set of tires with me to the track.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I purchased the R888's from this thread. I ran 2 20 minute sessions on them without cording them. I trailer my car and had another set of tires mounted on wheels so I did not have to worry about driving home or cording them. Keep in mind the cost of the track day compared to a pair of tires and what would happen if you did cord one of them.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
All depends on how you drive the car.

I can tell that I'm going to cord these tires on the outside shoulders since (I assume) I don't have enough camber.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Even if you cord them (and it should take quite a while assuming that your alignment/camber is O.K.), you can still drive them home, just go slowly.

Yaudi has something like 100+ sessions on his front RA1s, and they get worked pretty hard.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When the tread grooves are gone it's time to say goodbye, also look at the part that's worn the most. The part that has tread is not the part doing the most work. If you try to get another 20 minutes out of them and they go 21 minutes your golden. If they go 19 it could be ugly.
A slick is a tire with no tread grooves, a tire with no tread grooves does not work like a slick!
Joe

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Yaudi has something like 100+ sessions on his front RA1s, and they get worked pretty hard.
when i raced the spec miata on the RA1s i could only get about 20 heat cycles, and they were done for me.
how could anyone get 100 sessions(and still not feel like they are on banana skins) is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the tread grooves are gone it's time to say goodbye, also look at the part that's worn the most. The part that has tread is not the part doing the most work. If you try to get another 20 minutes out of them and they go 21 minutes your golden. If they go 19 it could be ugly.
A slick is a tire with no tread grooves, a tire with no tread grooves does not work like a slick!
Joe
Thanks for the information..

when i raced the spec miata on the RA1s i could only get about 20 heat cycles, and they were done for me.
how could anyone get 100 sessions(and still not feel like they are on banana skins) is beyond me.
The funny thing is hes not slow on them either.. Check out this video with 103 sessions on the tires.. :)

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=533661930635209352&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Mine were toast after about 15 long sessions. They definitely loose grip before you chord. There appears to be another harder rubber near the chord. Personally, I'd trash them after three track days - maybe 4 if you're not aggressive.

All this hooplah about RA1 and R888 immortality is silliness. Rubber heat cycles and gets harder with every session. They are a bit better than A048's in that respect, but the R888 definitely looses grip progressively as they cycle. By the time the tread is gone I can't wait to get new ones on.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine were toast after about 15 long sessions. They definitely loose grip before you chord. There appears to be another harder rubber near the chord. Personally, I'd trash them after three track days - maybe 4 if you're not aggressive.

All this hooplah about RA1 and R888 immortality is silliness. Rubber heat cycles and gets harder with every session. They are a bit better than A048's in that respect, but the R888 definitely looses grip progressively as they cycle. By the time the tread is gone I can't wait to get new ones on.
I have about 24 20 minute sessions on mine (shave to begin with). They still seem to be hooking good, maybe even better than when new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts