The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of R888 (195 for the front and 235 40R 17 for the rear) from Tire Shoppe and have been running them for a week now. So far, I am very impressed with their wet weather performance and they stick so much better than my warn out AO48s in the dry. I do find that they feel less precise than the AO48. I have not yet played around with tire pressures to see what suites these tires best. Anyone have any experience with street and track pressures for these tires?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
On street I ran 26f 28r cold.

On the track I ran 26f 28r hot. Seem to get the best performance at these pressures.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...I will give that a try. I have been running 28 and 29. What tire temps are you getting on the track?

·
Registered
804 Posts
i have been searching for the best pressure and so far have gotten to 31/37 (front/rear) hot. although i can't say that i notice much difference compared to my starting point of 24/29.

i do hear from people who are running these quite high - 40s - on other cars.

in any case, they seem to get slippery when hot. although their sliding is slow and predictable. and my times are not any slower than on a048s.

i was expecting no sliding around and no noise. but i get both. they sort of feel like older a048s except that they don't loose traction abruptly.

they fall short of my high expectations but i still prefer them to a048s because i find them safer and more consistent. and my times are not different.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I finally worked out 27/29 worked the best for me. The extra pound over 26/28 really seemed to help a bit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ran my R888 the last weekend at Buttonwillow mostly in the morning when it ranged for high 70-to mid 80 F ambient temperature. I started with 27/29 with some resting time after driving up to BW. After the first session, it was 29/32. It felt ok, but the tires only had about 1200 easy street miles so this would really be its first heat cycle, so I wasn't expecting much. As it got hotter (still really cool for BW) the track got a little greasier, I lowered it 1 lb to 28/31 hot and it was actually noticeably better. For sure the next time out I will try 27/29 hot.

The R888 does not feel like RA1 that I raced with Pro7 or SpecMiata, but then I've never driven RA1 unshaved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts