The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUESTION 1:

My back right tire has a slash in it, and its very deep and I do not want to risk driving the car with the slash since it is on the tread and cannot be patched. The tire shop here in town, said a rock may have caused the slash.

It's about time for me to get new tires anyway. I live up a 3 mile rock road, and there are sharp rocks - would having the R888's (with its limited amount of tread) be easy to have a sharp rock slash them? I don't go over 10 MPH on the road.

QUESTION 2:

For some reason the toyo r888's look not as wide as my stock tires (05 elise). Is this an optical illusion?:confused::crazyeyes

QUESTION 3:

My front tire tread is fine, so if I put some R888's in the rear and leave the front's original tires alone - will that change the way my car handles? better grip in the rear I suppose, causing more understeer? has anyone does this?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
#3. If you improve the grip in the rear, it doesn't mean the front grips less. It will only oversteer more if you ask more grip out of it than you were before. If you go the same speed in the same turns the front will still grip the same.

xtn

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
1-yes
2- no idea
3- don't mix tires types, especially grippy ones with not grippy ones

R compounds are sensitive and soft, rocks can def hurt your tires

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.