The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked them up, I have about 30 miles on them.
The reason I purchased them was to have a tire that would be better for commuting and better in the rain.
My OEM AD07 rear tires were dead and life threatening to drive on even in the dry.

Toyo Proxie T1-R
Fronts: 195/50/16
Rears: 225/45/17

In the shop:
I felt the sidewalls of both AD07 and T1-R tires and the fronts are close to the same, the rears are actually a little soft feeling... weird.
The guy at the desk warned me NOT to buy these tires. He said the compromise in performance would be dangerous.
He also told me to run much higher tire pressures since the side walls are softer (his suggestion was 30 in the rear).
The tech inflated the rears to 38 and the fronts to 34.

On the road:
I don't need to tell you that my 30 mile drive home was better than the OE tires... bald as the originals were, the new ones were only SLIGHTLY better.
I jacked the tire pressures down to stock and, surprise, the car felt 100% better.

Fair review now that the tire pressures are closer to correct for the car:
The tires are nice. Not perfect, but nice. They are quiet, soft over bumps, and grip pretty good.
You do lose some of the wonderfull feel though and the precision for turns is degraded slightly, but it is noticable.

Again, I only have 30 miles on them, but wanted to post some info that would be easilly searchable if someone was interested.

I will add more as I get time with the tires.

They were $5hundredsomething mounted and balanced from Radial Tire in Silver Spring MD. The guys in the shop knew the car, the jacking points, and even let me do the driving (even though I didn't even ask to). They also told me to drive on them over the weekend and let them know what I thought. They want to have some information to pass on to any other lotus guys trying to find a better commute/street tire. These guys are so great!

I have the front shims removed, but have still yet to get an alignment. I am sure that will help too.

Feel free to contact me via PM if you have any questions about the tires and I would be glad to get back to you.

Dave

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
T1R's are not ultra high performance street tires like the AD07, Bridgestone RE-01R, and new Toyo R1R. It's a compromise low level performance street tire. I would say the inflation pressures were way too high and under normal street driving at stock pressures you wouldn't be rolling over on the sidewall anyways regardles of how soft it is.

I guarantee you the AD07's have much stiffer sidewalls than the T1R, one is a national autocross champion and one is more of a daily drive tire. You can't go on feel alone. Sounds like you ended up with a decent solution at a good price for your needs.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed on all counts (although I have no clue where to find out if the T1R is ultra high performance or not). Although, the Toyo R1R is more of a competition tire. Toyo puts them in the same category as the RA1 and R888 (so they are much like the Yokahama A048, Falken Azinis, etc) and I am not sure it is available here in the states yet (couldn't find a web site that has them). BUT, it does appear the wear number is high, at 140!

Unfortunately, none of the above come in the sport package tire size and only the AD07 tires come in the base tire size.

I would like to think Lotus did some real reasearch on the tire sizes, so for the moment, I want to stick with what they recommend. Yeah yeah, I know they did compound testing too, but they were looking at performance # as in how this thing will do on a road course in perfect copnditions, I want to drive it on the highway every day rain or shine. AND I store my car outside, so outside temps are a huge issue since all of those will crack when it is below zero.

So we agree... it just took me more words to come to that ;)

Dave

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Dave, any issues with mounting 195s on our skinny 5.5" front wheels?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
davecarama, I run T1-Rs on my Exige for street use. There are numerous posts here regarding this tire as well as other tire choices...lots of experience and opinions have been reported.

FYI...I run 26/29 psi on my T1-Rs and have over 8,000 miles with even wear.

If you track your car, get a set of track rubber on spare rims. The T1-R is street rubber and will serve you well under spirited driving, but they will not compare to your AD07s on-track.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a set of ssr and A048 for the track :) Hoosiers will replace them when needed.

Most 195 tires that I have seen are rated for 5.5 - 7" rims (including the A048 tires).
I personally had no trouble getting them on the rims, the tech however said it was a bitch ;)

I saw a bunch of posts for T1R tires, but all of the info is so freakin spread out and most are in generic tire threds. I figured I would start a Toyo T1R thred so it could be spoted in a search easier.

D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have these tires too, on standard wheels. I like them a lot. The 195 front, 225 rear to me makes driving the car much better for spirited street driving as compared to the Yokos. But yes the Yokos are on a higher-level performance wise, but the 175 to me throws the balance off, in so doing kills some (a lot) of the fun. Unless something new comes out I will definitely get these again. Also I don’t need to worry about cold temps outside.

Tire pressure I use is 27f 28r if I remember right. I will try 26 in front.

I also have a set of sport wheels with 048s on them. Soon to maybe be Toyo 888s for when its time for so planned fun. To me every one who drives this car a lot should have two sets of wheel. One for every day stuff, and something super gripy for the nicer days. To wear out a set of 048s or similar on the freeway or highway is just not right to me. The tire is worthy of better.

Kevin

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno. I did about 100 miles today and I hate to say it, but these too are scary to drive on.

It is so hard to describe... it feels like the the front end lifts at higher than 70. It truly still feels wiggly.

I put my A048 tires on there and it is all gone.

I don't know... I am going to get an allignment on Monday if the dealer is open, then I will try again with these. I doubt I will keep them though. I guess I will have to go with the AD07 for everyday. Too bad...

Dave

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I dunno. I did about 100 miles today and I hate to say it, but these too are scary to drive on.
Drop your tire pressures.. Try 24/26psi F/R

Also T1R's take about 500 miles to really bed in. They have a huge amount of release agent on them and the tread is very deep.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have T1-S (which was the predecessor to the T1-R) in 205 F and 245 R.
I agree with most of the comments made here. I only do a few trackdays a year and don't autocross so they are fine for my purposes. They are pretty good in the wet and fine on dry pavement when warmed up. I certainly don't find them scary. I also think they are better with a 1000+ miles on them. They are not a great track tire, they are a compromise tire for those who don't switch back and forth between street and track set-ups. When it's time to replace these, I will go back to a true UHP tire, ideally AD07's (if they become available in the right sizes) or Kumho's.
I run 35 psi F and 32 psi R at the track and 5 lbs less on the street FWIW.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The tread is quit deep, maybe what you feel is tread squirm. Even if it’s the same tire that was replaced, coming off a bald tire to a new tire with a tall tread will give a vary different feel. But at any rate I don’t feel any sort of lift at speed. I’ve had the car at good speeds, even in the rain, and the car behaved as it did before. I’ve put about 3000+ miles on mine so far.

If your tires wear even (mine don’t, on the fronts mine wear on the inside more) another tire to consider (if you decide on changing) is the Michelin pilot PE-2. But this tire has a dedicated outside-inside design, so no rotating the tires left to right to get them to wear even.

Also I have the track pack set up. Don’t know how this will make a difference. When I had the base wheels with the Yoko AD07 on, the car pushed a lot. A few times when driving a bit spirited the car would just go wide. A bit alarming, but more frustrating. This would happen at speeds I think should be MORE then in the limits of this car. Not that a high speed but on slightly tight turns. With the Toyos in an appropriate size the push is totally gone. Doing the same speed around the same turns as before the car is now just fine, no more push. For the street or for fun the feel of the car is more important to me then all out grip. To go around a turn and feel the balance of the car is what I like most. The feeling of the car just plowing strait on, slowing down a bit then griping again and turning I hate a lot. I would rather go slower in a nice almost drift then have the car pushing. But as for straight line higher speed feel, I don’t notice any difference.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The lift issue shouldn't be tire related...sounds maybe like an aero issue or something else.

As stated, these tires have a lot of release agent. I noticed a fair amount of tread squirm initially, but after a few hundred miles the tires were broken in and have been very predictable during spirited street drives.

davecarama, give them (and any new tires, for that matter) some miles to settle in, and drive under a variety of situations before making a final evaluation.

For tire research, I recommend tirerack.com's tire summaries and tests. Nothing is better than being an informed buyer...particularly given the wide choices of tires available and so much misinformation about tires (even among sales people).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just put some T1-Rs on my base wheels this weekend. I like them very much, even with the slime on the tires. My Yokos were shot, pretty much like racing slicks on the rears. So, my handling has improved greatly, I have not pushed the car much at all. I have a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, so I will have to get that sorted out. Other than that, they seem like great tires. I can't wait for them to be broken in.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I just put some T1-Rs on my base wheels this weekend. I like them very much, even with the slime on the tires. My Yokos were shot, pretty much like racing slicks on the rears. So, my handling has improved greatly, I have not pushed the car much at all. I have a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, so I will have to get that sorted out. Other than that, they seem like great tires. I can't wait for them to be broken in.
The guys that mounted your tires probably didn't balance them correctly. The car is light so a slight imbalance will probably be felt at highway speeds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Improper balance seems to be the culprit. I just don't want to go back to the same place to get them done again. I will find another local shop and let them try. Other than that though, the tires seem like a great replacement for the Yokos.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I put a couple hundred miles on the tires now, as well as having them properly balanced, and I really like them. The amount of grip lost has not been noticeable. And as cold as it gets in Salt Lake, I actually have more grip. No regrets at all with my decision.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just curious if anyone has some close up shots of a 195/50r16 tire on the standard wheel? Are there any noticeable differences of the tire looking too big for the wheel since the wheel is only 5.5 wide?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm running 205/5016 on my car and i think it actually looks better (due to the extra height) in filling out the wheel well than something equivalent to 205/45r16 size which i have on my other rims.

I think it's been said that the car will push more with taller tires up front and i think i agree with this statement.

Do you mean too tall or too wide looking? I'm a little unusual perhaps in that I DON't like the look of thin rubber sidewalls on big rims so i also think it looks better with a little more sidewall. Regarding the look of the width? I have no idea. realistically, most people wont even notice if you change your rims or tires so i'd worry more about getting a size that makes sense for you than fretty too much over subtle cosmetic differences.

There's a picture of my white car in this thread.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/cant-find-answer-does-215-rub-up-front-68532/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts