The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a pair of toyo T1R tires and I searched and found many suggestions for tire pressure on them. I just want some last minute advice from you guys. I do only street driving but like to go fast. Im thinking about 26 front and 28 rear any advice?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have them higher then the Yoko psi. I forget what I have them off hand but I will check tomorrow. What sizes did you get and what wheels do you have?

The Toyo is a bit softer in the sidewall as compared to the Yoko so it will need a few more psi.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
For the street. My cars a DD.

In the back I run 28-29

In the front 29-30.

Last set of fronts I had (195-50) at 27ish and when pushing hard the sidewall would flex a bit. When it was time for new, the center of the tire tread had a lot left, the sides were worn-out, I figure looking back I needed a pound or two more and performance would have been spot on. I figure if I had around 29 psi up front the tires may of lasted 2 to 3 thousand more miles, or at least wore a bit more even.

My wheels are the Track/Sport Pack wheels and I have the shims removed.

The rear tires wear even across the tire with 28-29psi.

I have had a few sets on my car now (I have 85,000 miles on it) and have played with the tires a little bit. Just got new fronts 2000 miles ago, (3weeks ago) and went with 205-50 up front this time. So far I’m using 30-31 psi up front and this seems to be good.
In the back I have 235-45 and run the same psi as I did with the 225 and wear seems the same. I’m on my second set of 235s in the back now and I think I’m sticking with this size. And I also removed two shims (each side) from the back and the tire wears even.

Well that’s what I’ve done at least :mw:

Kevin

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I find the car to be less "darty" on the T1R using lower pressures, 25 front/27 rear, (on the stock rim sizes at least.)

Plus, it is now immune to hydroplaning! So much for tires designed specifically for a car. (advan neova...which I think is latin for "not for use in the rain")

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Notorious, just being curious, do you still have your shims in, and how is your tire wear?

I found that front alignment has a lot to do with the dartyness. A slight toe in and the car is a bit darty. Plus the obvious tire presser affect on the front end.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yes, still have shims. Tire wear is very even. My rears wore out in the center first, indicating that I should go with lower tire pressure, as I am now doing. T1R's are too new to tell, couple thousand miles and no noticeable wear.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Two ways to test out if you have the proper tire pressure....
- zoom around and do some corners to warm up the tires. Now take chalk and draw lines across each tire. Zoom around again and then take a look at the tires to see what happened to the chalk. Properly inflated tires will have the chalk evenly worn across the whole tire.

- Get a tire pyrometer. It measures heat in the rubber on a tire. Zoom around and then shoot the edges and middle of a tire to see the temps. You need to do this fast. All three temps should be about the same.

Now I am curious about my tires!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts