The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen front brake kits for toyota supra. Will these interchange on a my88?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I dont believe the brakes on our cars are from a supra? I think it was a different model?

Have you looked at the offerings from the various Lotus vendors?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont believe the brakes on our cars are from a supra? I think it was a different model?

Have you looked at the offerings from the various Lotus vendors?

I was basically going by the toyota taillights as a toy parts guide and looking for an affordable alternative. My last esprit suffered from very bad brake fade.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,864 Posts
Actually, you CAN use front pads and calipers that fit a 1983 Celica Supra on '86 - 93 Esprits. :giggle:

Don't expect trackday-level stopping power, though. There is a reason that the factory fitted exp$en$ive Ferodo performance pads to the barely adequate Toyota brake system. (It took Lotus until the later V8 era to upgrade the brakes enough to handle the speed, with the AP Racing Brakes.) :unsure:

As Erik said, the Usual Lotus Parts Suspects offer a variety of different compounds for the stock TMC brakes, depending on your intended use. (Support them!) When I was tracking our Esprit several times a year, I used a compromise street/track Mintex 1144 pad from RD Enterprises. Don't know if they still offer 'em. No fade but the rotors warped noticeably at the track (even with cryogenic treatment).

I'm presently using Akebono ceramic front pads...that way I don't need to clean the black dust off the wheels every 50 miles. :mad: But they HAVE suffered some fade on spirited drives.

+++++++++++

As I said, the Celica calipers fit. You should replace these in axle sets, but if you only do one, remember that the LH Celica fits the RH Esprit, and vice-versa.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
I think the OP is asking if big brake kit that fits on a Toyota Celica Supra would also fit an 88 Esprit. The only concern I would have is if the big brake kit assumed clearances on the Celica that simply are not there with the Esprit’s hub dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
Doyle, curious where did you see the brake kit listed?

I was assuming you were talking about the 93-95 Supra. Relatively large aftermarket support at the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts