The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would appear that UK dealers are taking orders for the Toyota engined Elise now, with delivery expected in Feb 2004. Makes sense to test the car at home for a few months first I guess, to identify and iron out any user issues first.

Rob

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
Yeah, I read that one in SELOC. I hope they do just that. That'll reduce the initial build quality issues for us.

But that does not jive with the press reports stating the car would be available in Euroland this summer.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
The big question is are these orders for Exige or Elise? I think they would want the Exige to have a few months of exclusivity before confusing the point with an Elise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UK Elise with Toyoya engine is already at some UK dealerships for test drives. Official launch is 28th Jan. The UK Exige with Toyota engine is officially launched Mar/Apr.

You should find various press reports next month and some test drive reports appearing from future owners in the next few weeks.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Hmm, I'm actually glad the UK and Australia get this car before we do. It'll give Lotus a chance to work out any bugs or manufacturing details with this new version before beginning work on our cars.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
rjc said:
UK Elise with Toyoya engine is already at some UK dealerships for test drives. Official launch is 28th Jan. The UK Exige with Toyota engine is officially launched Mar/Apr.

You should find various press reports next month and some test drive reports appearing from future owners in the next few weeks.
If the offical lauch is the 28th then production has already started on our car. Of course the Euro / Toyo cars are not getting our updated interior according to recent reports. However I see no reason for any delays for the US car:D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Derek said:
If the offical lauch is the 28th then production has already started on our car. Of course the Euro / Toyo cars are not getting our updated interior according to recent reports. However I see no reason for any delays for the US car:D
Not necessarily. They may be producing these on the existing production line, given the right-hand drive. Seem especially likely if they still are using the old interiors. Ours will be on a new production line which probably hasn't started up yet.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
jml1952 said:
Not necessarily. They may be producing these on the existing production line, given the right-hand drive. Seem especially likely if they still are using the old interiors. Ours will be on a new production line which probably hasn't started up yet.
Good point. At least most build issues, related to mating the powertrain to the chassis, should be worked out on the current line. They can then transfer any improvements over to the new line. We should surely benefit.

Still it seems Lotus rushed this car to the UK without much introduction. This new powertrain is the single biggest change they have made to the S2. Seems a bigger PR/Ad splash would have been appropriate? Could it simply be that the current cars were simply stagnating on the lots?

The 111R should infuse some real excitement for Lotus. :)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Shinoo,
They don't want to make a big deal of the Toyota engine there for fear of killing the Rover K market.

BTW> Got an email for Simon at Reverie, let me know when you're up and running, first thing I want is the CF diffuser.

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The interior of the UK S2 with Toyota engine is as per the other UK models. Our regulatiuon mean we don't need airbags over here and most of the interior mods are to accomodate these. The UK car gets ABS though as per new European regs.

Lotus never provide advance notice of updates to the model range as it kills sales of the existing (redundant) models. When news of the S2 leaked out prematurely, Lotus lost loads of S1 sales and lost out financially. They have a habit of secrecy and of pissing off existing customers in doing so. Exising stock of S2's with K-series engines have already been reduced by £3-4k.

My guess is that the UK version will eventually move over the the US spec interior (minus the airbags) as Lotus can't afford to have two suppliers and build lines for the same car parts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Euro spec Elise will weigh 860kgs wet (oil, water, brake fluid etc.) and with some fuel. Not sure how much though.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Here's a crazy thought. Does the new Euro Elise with the Toyota engine meet requirements for sale in the United States?? I know the steering wheel is on the wrong side, but does that make it illegal here? An English friend says that it costs about $1000 for an individual to ship a car over here, so I was just thinking ... Probably some fatal flaw somewhere.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
JML,

I'm sure there is a fatal flaw, but at the moment I can't think of one other than really pissing off your dealer and LCU.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
what about airbags, side impact reinforcement, and most importantly side reflectors !!!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
jml1952 said:
Here's a crazy thought. Does the new Euro Elise with the Toyota engine meet requirements for sale in the United States?? I know the steering wheel is on the wrong side, but does that make it illegal here? An English friend says that it costs about $1000 for an individual to ship a car over here, so I was just thinking ... Probably some fatal flaw somewhere.
It does not meet the US requirements, as sold in the UK. For starters, no airbags...and no dash that will accommodate them. To import one, you would have to have someone modify it to conformance and have it certified. The cost would likely be prohibitive. And, they may not accept a modified car, in any case.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
jml1952 said:
Your Euro car would probably never be released from US Customs since it does NOT meet The US DOT and EPA requirments. I was an importer for years ask me how I know this.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

1 - 20 of 33 Posts