The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered these things - they are the tits! Better than well nuts for securing wheel well shields - order a bunch they're the perfect size, hold firmly and simply snap in and out:

Toyota Rear Bumper Cover Push-Type Retainers

-john.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I had a thought the other day. Maybe you could use these to replace the two 13 mm bolts that hold up the diffuser. That'd go well with the 1/4 turn fastener kit.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just took my front clam off for repair last night and need these for the wheelwell liners. I so I ordered 4 pkgs. Good timing.

Anybody want to help me with my fiberglass repair and front plate delete??? This will be my first fiberglass job! At least wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
How are these better than well-nuts, which are much less expensive and have threads for more positive attachment?

I glued well-nuts to car so they won't fall out when screw is removed.

Installed, I pulled on them and they will not come out.

just asking??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are these better than well-nuts, which are much less expensive and have threads for more positive attachment?

I glued well-nuts to car so they won't fall out when screw is removed.

Installed, I pulled on them and they will not come out.

just asking??
I've found that the well nuts' flange is too small/soft and they can get squeezed into the hole and you'd have to do some major disassembly to retrieve them. I don't really want to glue them to my car and the rubber is eventually going to rot. These are just as solid (they do break when you step on them) and they snap in and out in seconds - no need for screws or even washers. They release with just a small flat head screwdriver to pop the head out. I'm adding another option for people to try - I really prefer them - some people may like the well nuts and there are many ways to get the job done.

There are a million different fasteners on that site and I'm sure there are cheaper ones that could be found/used - I had the opportunity to try out a few of the ones I posted and they are perfect. I scoured the web looking for them and they are a bit pricey but worth it IMO.

Another solution would be rivet nuts - again you'd have to use screws and buy the tool.

-john

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a thought the other day. Maybe you could use these to replace the two 13 mm bolts that hold up the diffuser. That'd go well with the 1/4 turn fastener kit.
I would not use a well nut or snap type fastener to replace a bolt. It may work fine but with plastic and rubber you're dealing with materials that haven't nearly the tensile strength of steel.

I too have lost a few of the screws that hold on the diffuser - definitely going to use loctite when I get around to replacing them.
-john.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Be advised, these were all over my STi, and can be a real PITA to get out sometimes. I guess that's the good, and bad news :).
Yes, same here w/my XRS. Still think well-nuts are more positive grip.

Always use anti-seizej, esp on undertray fasteners.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be advised, these were all over my STi, and can be a real PITA to get out sometimes. I guess that's the good, and bad news :).
They come in and out of the Lotus holes fine - I suspect your STi had smaller holes which makes these types of fasteners tight.
-john.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, same here w/my XRS. Still think well-nuts are more positive grip.

Always use anti-seizej, esp on undertray fasteners.
Yep - that's on my list... I wish the 1/4 turn was still available...
-john.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yep - that's on my list... I wish the 1/4 turn was still available...
-john.
1/4 turn kits are still out there! I scored a Lotus-specific kit from Dieselgeek (a VW tuner) a couple months back.

Interesting idea on the clip-ins, i actually dislike the stock screw-in type, as the threads are no good, and have way too much potential to get stuck closed. All I can get locally is single use christmas trees, and this is a better solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts