The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 May 2009


The Toyota team is close to pulling out of Formula 1, it has warned, after seeing the two other Japanese teams - Super Aguri and Honda - leave the sport last year. The team is not happy with the FIA's new proposed regulations for a budget cap and 'two tier' system to be introduced next season, forecasting little future in the sport for next season.

"Under the rules as they are published, we cannot submit an entry," team president John Howett told Autosport. "There are concerns about the governance process within the sport, that there are clearly prescribed areas of discussion within the sporting and technical rules and we don't feel they are being complied with.

"From Toyota's perspective there are a number of concerns that really need clarifications before we commit to the future; we want to be here, we believe we have been a good corporate citizen within the F1 environment, but now we must reflect long and hard on what we do in the future."

As a result of Howett's comments, the chances of seeing the team remain in the sport for 2010 appear slim unless regulations are modified by governing body the FIA. "I would say it is very likely we won't enter unless something changes significantly," he confirmed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red Bull suggests F1 departure

11 May 2009


The Red Bull team has become the second in two days to hint a possible disappearance from the Formula One grid unless regulations are revised ahead of the 2010 season. With a £40m budget cap option in place, a possible 'two-tier' championship is on the cards and has been opposed by a number of teams on the grid.

For the start of next season, all entries will be presented with a decision: accept the budget cap and enjoy greater technical freedom or continue with an unlimited spending limit whilst following the current, more restricted, technical rules.

With the possibility of two sets of regulations being used in one championship, Toyota publically touched upon a possible exit from the sport on Saturday in the event of the rules not being changed. McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh responded to this by stating that the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) should discuss the issue with governing body the FIA behind closed doors rather than with the media. However, less than 48 hours later, a similar threat has emerged from Red Bull.

"If the proposed rules for 2010 stay unchanged, we will not take part in the 2010 championship," said Dietrich Mateschitz, head of the Austrian energy drinks company - which is behind both the Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso teams - whilst speaking with the Salzburger Nachrichten newspaper. "Teams of manufacturers will no longer take part," he added. "Of the current teams, only two or three will remain."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
I think once the seal is broken, you will see a mass exit of teams leaving F1 for the very reasons Toyota might leave. Too much red tape...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,634 Posts
It'd be a real shame, esp. after putting in so much money and only just now beginning to see some promising results. Similar for Red Bull, I hope they stay in.

I think the FIA had better start listening to what the constructors are saying, because a split like the CART/IRL situation would be terrible for the sport, IMO.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,551 Posts
Ironic after seeing Trulli and 2 red bull cars get totaled at the Spanish GP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ferrari calls Tuesday directors' meeting

11 May 2009


Ferrari's board of directors will be meeting in Italy on Tuesday in order to discuss the current situation regarding its position in Formula One. The team has been particularly critical towards the FIA's proposed budget cap for next year, with Toyota and Red Bull also having questioned their roles in the sport.

The new system for 2010 would involve teams being offered greater technical freedom for spending no more than £40m per year with a view to creating a more sustainable sport, although not including funding for driver salaries, marketing and engine development. As a result, those electing to join the scheme would be granted a selection of bonuses such as unlimited testing, more flexible wings and a more powerful KERS unit.

There cap is not compulsory, however, with those wishing to continue with an unlimited spending limit being able to do so but with the penalty of following the current, more restricted, technical regulations; it is this 'two tier' championship possibility over which teams disagree, believing a level playing field is essential for F1's fans and competitors alike.

Ferrari's Tuesday meeting, due to start at 3pm local time (GMT +1) at Maranello headquarters will include discussion on performances so far this season as well as, crucially, the company's position towards its future in Formula One.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Renault the latest team to threaten withdrawal

13 May 2009


The Renault team has become the fourth in five days to hint an exit from Formula One at the end of the 2009 season. The French marque, which re-entered the sport in 2002, follows Toyota, Red Bull and Ferrari in hinting that its departure will take place before 2010 until the FIA reviews its proposed budget cap scheme for next season.

In an official statement released on behalf of both the manufacturer and its F1 team on Wednesday, Renault's message follows a different tone to the three already released by other teams since Saturday. The squad, current home of former double World Champion Fernando Alonso, believes in the FIA's motives to lower costs but is against the manner in which the sport's governing body put forward the proposal without consultation of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), which represents the current 11 teams on the grid.

The statement read: "There is frustration that FOTA's constructive proposals, including major cost saving measures to be adopted progressively between 2009 and 2012, which were carefully constructed by FOTA members (during a Geneva meeting in March), have been completely ignored without any form of consultation by the FIA with the teams.

"It should be stressed that FOTA has set the same, if not lower, financial objective as the FIA, but Renault strongly believes that this must be introduced through a different procedure agreed by all parties." Teams are chiefly unhappy with the 'two-tier' championship which would be made possible with the introduction of the budget cap, as those wishing not to follow the spending limit may run but under restricted technical regulations.

"Renault has always considered Formula One as the pinnacle of motor sport and the perfect stage to demonstrate technical excellence," said team president Bernard Rey. "We remain committed to the sport, however we cannot be involved in a championship operating with different sets of rules and if such rules are put into effect, we will be forced to pull out at the end of this season."

"Our aim is to reduce costs while maintaining the high standards that make Formula One one of the most prestigious brands on the market," continued team managing director Flavio Briatore. "We want to achieve this in a coordinated manner with the regulatory and commercial bodies, and we refuse to accept unilateral governance handed out by the FIA."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,871 Posts
This just proves things need to change in FIA or else they're pretty much done, regardless if the US gets 1 or 2 teams next season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
What a mess! It seems to me a more reasonable approach would have been to implement a much higher cap and lower it each year gradually until they get to where they want to be.

Where are these retreating teams going to race?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
get ready for FOTA to start their own formula racing series.

if they do and take Toyota, Red Bull, Renault, Ferrari, FIA is done.

good riddance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FIA not willing to compromise with FOTA

15 May 2009


Friday's meeting between the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) and the FIA has failed to end in an agreement between the two parties, as Formula One's governing body refused to compromise with the sport's competitors over plans to introduce a £40m budget cap that offers teams more freedom in the technical rules for next season.

The Heathrow meeting was organised this week with no less than five teams, including constructors' World Champions Ferrari, having already threatened to walk away from the sport at the end of the year unless the scheme is reviewed, removing its possibilities of a 'two-tier' championship. FOTA, representing all teams on the grid, received the news earlier on in the day that committee president, Luca di Montezemelo, would not be attending following the death in Italy of his father.

News was also revealed today of Ferrari taking legal action against the FIA through French courts, with the view that the 2010 regulations should be blocked for breaching the team's wishes in an apparent technical policy held by the Scuderia. "During the meeting it became apparent that Ferrari has made an application to the French courts - and I don't know the details - but it is to apply for an injunction to stop us doing what we want to do," Mosley, who first made comments over the 'unsustainable' sport early last year, told the press at the Sofitel Heathrow hotel. "So that is where the situation rests as far as Ferrari is concerned.

"It was quite a friendly meeting, but in the end all that happened was that the teams have gone off to see if they can come up with something better than the cost cap. We explained we cannot put back the entry date, as this has all been published, and we cannot disadvantage the potential new teams who will come in but we are prepared to listen to whatever they have to say.

"In the meantime, the regulations are as published. We have explained that we want everyone to race under the same regulations; we have explained that we would like all of the teams to come in under the cost cap and that is what they have gone off to consider. We have said that we cannot see why anyone wouldn't want to operate under the cost cap and it would mean a gradual relaxation of the technical regulations, which all of the engineers would want. We said, in the end, that the choice was between intellectual freedom and financial constraint or intellectual constraint and financial freedom, which is what they have had up until now."

The budget cap, as well as hoping to secure a controlled future for the Formula One World Championship, is also designed to encourage new teams to submit entries for next year, of which all applications must be received by the FIA no later than 29 May. "We have pointed out, and it is something the engineers have said, that current F1 consists of endless refinement at enormous expense and we want to move away from that and have invention and creativity," the FIA president continued to explain, "but we can only do that if we restrict the cost because, if we have unrestricted cost, nobody would be able to afford it - I think some of the teams agree with that idea and some don't, and they have gone away to discuss it."

Currently Toyota, Red Bull, Ferrari and Renault have already made clear messages that withdrawal will be a serious possibility in the event of the rules not being changed before the end of this month. "Well, as things stand, yes that is the situation," admitted Mosley.

"Then they asked about the Concorde Agreement and we said that we would be prepared, if there was agreement on all of the other issues, to resign the 1998 Concorde Agreement and extend it for another five years, but there was not agreement between them and Bernie (Ecclestone, of Formula One Management) on the commercial side, which is unsurprising because they have been talking about it for two and a half years and still not reached agreement."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,117 Posts
all the teams should "boycot the 2010 season" ...hahaha !! why not ..a strike? that would be interesting, wait... do they even still play hockey anymore? :shrug:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top