The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car to a local shop Exact Motorsports in Milpitas, CA for an oil change. The mechanic told me that my 2007 Exige S comes in two engine types, Toyota or Honda. Mine is a Honda engine. Does anyone know anything about this? I have always assumed that Lotus uses Toyota engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to sound dumb, but are you guys sure? According to this mechanic, mine has a Honda made engine. Hey they are both Japanese, perhaps from the same machine shop????

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
how the hell do you buy a car like a Lotus and not know what engine it has in it???
rotfl

How the hell do you buy a car like a Lotus, and have no clue about the power adders available for it?!?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Not to sound dumb, but are you guys sure? According to this mechanic, mine has a Honda made engine. Hey they are both Japanese, perhaps from the same machine shop????

Alright, I've got to ask. Just what prompted you to buy the Lotus without knowing anything about them? It's not an Accord or something you pick up at just any old used car lot or something. They are niche cars and I've never met a Lotus owner that just bought one for the hell of it.

But to answer your question, yes we are sure. All street legal Lotus' Elise/Exige brought into the US are Toyota 2ZZ powered. Prior to being brought into the use they were powered by Rover motors which from what I hear weren't all that great. It's those Rover owners that put Honda motors in aftermarket as a replacement. They also put Audi motors in them and now here in the US you can get an Ecotec put in too.

Seriously though, read up on the vehicle you bought...

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
You were right in your first post thinking (knowing!) that all Elises and Exiges in the US have toyota engines (as LordZ states).

Your mechanic is trying to be too smart and confused himself - the Toyota engine is made by Yamaha (for Toyota). I don't think that Honda have anyone make their engines so it is extremely unlikely that they are made in the same factory. I wouldn't be rushing back to that shop!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think the first thing for you is to confirm the engine type you have in your car... If it is a Toyota, you will find Yamaha name on the engine on right side of the engine, and maybe some parts inscribed Toyota. And it is a Honda, the valve cover will clearly indicated that it is a Honda.

Do you have a picture on the engine compartment?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I think mine's a 283 Chevy ......... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
This might help a bit. It is from the shop's website.

"EXACT MOTORSPORTS has been in business since 1996.
We are family own business. We have provided Milpitas and Bay Area
drivers with high-quality automotive performance parts, accessories
& service for more than 12 years. Our experienced sales &
technician are knowledgeable about all makes and models of cars,
and are available to assist you with anything you need. We
specialized in Imports & European cars, from installation of
performance parts to all general repair, tune-up, diagnostic & more.

We have very good repetition in auto repair industry when
come to customer services. Our customers are mostly referred by
our satisfied customers or word of mouth. Some we had known them
for more than 10 years. Customers' satisfaction is our #1 goal,
honest & fair price are our priority. Call us or stop by for
anything you need."

·
Registered
475 Posts
Alright, I've got to ask. Just what prompted you to buy the Lotus without knowing anything about them? It's not an Accord or something you pick up at just any old used car lot or something. They are niche cars and I've never met a Lotus owner that just bought one for the hell of it.

But to answer your question, yes we are sure. All street legal Lotus' Elise/Exige brought into the US are Toyota 2ZZ powered. Prior to being brought into the use they were powered by Rover motors which from what I hear weren't all that great. It's those Rover owners that put Honda motors in aftermarket as a replacement. They also put Audi motors in them and now here in the US you can get an Ecotec put in too.

Seriously though, read up on the vehicle you bought...
I had a local buyer come by and look at my car and try to buy it the other day. He had never been near one and only decided the day before that he was going to buy one. When I heard this, I thought, this guy is wasting my time. In the end though, he made me a few offers - too low - but at least in the ballpark. I was stupefied by the whole experience. :huh:

In some ways, I felt like I would be betraying my car and the Lotus brand to sell it to him.

But the guy said he bought all his cars on impulse. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts