The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My wife wants a new 2008 Prius (yeah, I know). These dealers have gone crazy with the pricing. Some are telling me they've have a mark-up of $4K to $5K, while others are adding all this unnecessary junk on the car (like bigger wheels, tinting, etc) to raise the price. So the price of a fully loaded Prius is now in the range of $30K to $33K. To me this sounds ridiculously high. Does anyone know any dealers in Southern California that aren't marking up or adding lots of extras? Do you think it's even worth anything over $25K? FYI, she drives in stop & go traffic back and forth from work (it takes her 45 minutes to an hour to drive 8 miles!). Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
407 Posts
FYI, the toyota Prius is actually worse for the environment than some SUV's because of all the polution created in the manufacture of the car.

a better option is a small Euro Diesel car, they usually get more MPG, and arent as bad to the environment in production.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Supply And Demand

Hey guys,

My wife wants a new 2008 Prius (yeah, I know). These dealers have gone crazy with the pricing. Some are telling me they've have a mark-up of $4K to $5K, while others are adding all this unnecessary junk on the car (like bigger wheels, tinting, etc) to raise the price. So the price of a fully loaded Prius is now in the range of $30K to $33K. To me this sounds ridiculously high. Does anyone know any dealers in Southern California that aren't marking up or adding lots of extras? Do you think it's even worth anything over $25K? FYI, she drives in stop & go traffic back and forth from work (it takes her 45 minutes to an hour to drive 8 miles!). Thanks again for your advice.
You live in SoCal and you (or your wife) wants to buy a Prius. You're going to pay a premium for the same reason that gas prices are at historical highs. And it's not because hedge funds are speculating on the Prius.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Get her a Civic hybrid :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mini Cooper is more fun and would get you great gas mileage as well. Even the S version would be cheaper than a Prius.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get her a Civic hybrid :)
Yeah, that's what I said, but she doesn't like the looks...

We're not too terribly concerned with the effects on the environment. It's really more about the MPG and the fact that it does really well in stop & go traffic. I wouldn't even mind paying sticker, but markups tick me off for some reason.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Tell her that the extra cost of the Prius is going to negate any financial savings from using less gas

Unfortunately, the dealers are going to rape you on any car that gets good gas mileage these days, but the hybrids are going to be the worst. :(

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mini Cooper is more fun and would get you great gas mileage as well. Even the S version would be cheaper than a Prius.
She already had a Mini so she wants something different. Otherwise, I agree with you 100%. I'd just get a Honda Fit if I were her, but she thinks the Prius is kind of hip (at least in Socal).

·
Registered
431 Posts
When the Prius first came out, dealers were asking for over MSRP then it subdued a bit to sticker and slightly below. Now because of the oil situation, it's climbed back up which in reality, I see nothing wrong with this...supply and demand.

Talked to a good buddy of mine and it seems that the smaller, gas saving vehicles are in demand in the new and used car market. At the auction, dealers are paying all the money for these cars...oh well :shrug:

Oh yeah, Prius used to be the cool car a couple years ago but since CA took away that sticker thing, it lost its "hipness" :D and actually, the Honda version seems to be doing better overall.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, IMO, it's definitely not an attractive car... so it's definitely not hip. I showed her the Top Gear test video (showing how poorly it handles) and she just laughed.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Well, IMO, it's definitely not an attractive car... so it's definitely not hip. I showed her the Top Gear test video (showing how poorly it handles) and she just laughed.

Show her this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PP6fe6i1vaY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PP6fe6i1vaY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
And add to the fact its the poster child of the granola liberal movement in NorCal and you see why prices are high...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Show her this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PP6fe6i1vaY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PP6fe6i1vaY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Well done Morgan! :clap:

Most people don't understand this, especially the Prius owners who are WOT from every traffic light in SoCal. I'll bet my Exige S does better MPG on average than the average Prius, driven by the average SoCal environmentalist.

rotfl

EDIT: Out of my four cars, my Lotus Exige S is by far the most fuel efficient.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Well done Morgan! :clap:

Most people don't understand this, especially the Prius owners who are WOT from every traffic light in SoCal. I'll bet my Exige S does better MPG on average than the average Prius, driven by the average SoCal environmentalist.

rotfl

EDIT: Out of my four cars, my Lotus Exige S is by far the most fuel efficient.
How about the Prius owners flying at 90+ on I5 from SoCal to NorCal when I was driving my Exige home. I felt like *I* was driving a slow car...and there's no way in heck at 90+ that they are getting good gas mileage at all.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I was on the freeway the other day doing 80mph and I was being tailgated by not one, but THREE Prius's. :crazyeyes

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
FYI, the toyota Prius is actually worse for the environment than some SUV's because of all the polution created in the manufacture of the car.

a better option is a small Euro Diesel car, they usually get more MPG, and arent as bad to the environment in production.

The Mazda 3 i has the same emissions as the Prius AND none of the battery and other manufacturing issues.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It's the out-of-control pricing that has me thinking about selling my Prius. I agree with the other posts regarding the cost/benefit equation - something like a new Corolla or Yaris makes more money sense.

As for the mileage, as long as you're not a lead-foot, you can get 51 MPG on the highway - I do. I've never seen anything higher than that, though. People have told me that the Civic Hybrid doesn't hit its EPA rating, although I have no real evidence on that.

If you must get one, buy one from Wallabyguy for MSRP. Paying over sticker is just silly. :)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hey guys,

. Does anyone know any dealers in Southern California that aren't marking up or adding lots of extras? .
Longo toyota, no extras, sold at MSRP. But, there's a 3 month wait. I wonder why?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts