Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Toyota

Votes: 10 28.6%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a Minivan for the family, I always buy used cars to save that big hit you take when buying a new car.

So here's the two contenders;

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L -mostly loaded (NAV & DVD) with 1500 miles
-200 miles away (I'm picking up either one)

2008 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited FULLY Loaded with 8400 miles
-900 miles away

My wife prefers the honda but the toyota has more options (parking sensors, power liftgate and 2 memory seats).

They are the same color and almost the same price.

Does anyone have opinions or experience with these cars?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the Toyota was faster? More HP.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the Toyota's interior and the Honda's exterior.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Even though I prefer the Sienna (we own one)...you best go with what the woman likes, since in the end she'll be driving it most.

Is the Sienna the AWD version? Our 07 was the only model minivan available in the US which had AWD (great for Lake Tahoe ski trips :D).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even though I prefer the Sienna (we own one)...you best go with what the woman likes, since in the end she'll be driving it most.

Is the Sienna the AWD version? Our 07 was the only model minivan available in the US which had AWD (great for Lake Tahoe ski trips :D).
Happy Wife, Happy Life...That's why you're Mr. Know.

The one I'm looking is not AWD, don't think we need the extra cost and weight.

·
Registered
244 Posts

can't go wrong with either. We debated and ultimately went with the Sienna because of the AWD plus the fully loaded package (at that time) was better. The single biggest factor, however, was the wife factor. She liked the Sienna better because she was able to instantly get the seats to fold up / down / sidewise. The Honda, although also easy, were not quite as intuitive for her. FTW.

Also had an Epic Salesman Fail. We were looking @ Hondas and I asked to see the Touring (I think that's what it was called) version with the NAV, etc. His comment was, "You don't want to see that, no one wants to spend 40-grand on a minivan.":shrug: Ended up getting a '40-grand' Sienna with every conceivable option. So much for that theory

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I love minivans.
Chris, Lotus just called. They are going to have to take your Elise away. Don't worry, they will drop it off at my house so I can have a spare Lotus. You will be able to stop by and look at it. Since you'll be driving the minivan, I'm going to ask that you not really stop, but instead just slow down and roll by. I really can't be seen associating with a minivan person.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love minivans.

Do either of them tow?
I know that the Sienna can, however, I don't as I have a truck for that. Not sure about the Honda.

Chris Mackey, not sure if you were being serious or not about loving minivans, but I really do love mine. It's a great vehicle for its intended use... hauling around kids. My wife used to drive an SUV, but when kid #2 came around it was amazing just how small the back seat got with 2 car seats in it. Tons of room in the van and unlike some vehicles I know it has something like 15 cup holders in it.

I thought the Toyota was faster? More HP.
All things being equal, I'd certainly rather have more HP than less. However, at the end of the day, they're both slow as heck, especially if you're going from the Elise.

Nearly everyone I know has either the Sienna or Odyssey and likes theirs.

Max'sDad, I know you're looking at a new 07, but for anyone else...
NEVER, EVER buy a used minivan. I shudder to think of the things that have occured inside our vehicle.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Chris, Lotus just called. They are going to have to take your Elise away. Don't worry, they will drop it off at my house so I can have a spare Lotus. You will be able to stop by and look at it. Since you'll be driving the minivan, I'm going to ask that you not really stop, but instead just slow down and roll by. I really can't be seen associating with a minivan person.
Please take good care of Elsie. She enjoys tall grass and sessions at the Salt Lick. When she's moooving fast, she also enjoys high octane feed. She gets really high on nitrous oxide, too! Elsie produces the creamiest acceleration if you treat her right.

One day, I'll paint her white with black patches.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Chris Mackey, not sure if you were being serious or not about loving minivans, but I really do love mine.
I really do like minivans. We had a '94 Plymouth Villager for 6 years and it was a great vehicle. I removed all of the seats and turned it into a grocery-and-furniture hauler for our B&Bs. It was very reliable and good on gas, with LOTS of room. It died and went to minivan heaven.

My wife hated the thing and balked at getting another. She didn't want people to think she was a soccer mom. So, we got a Toyota Highlander. It has less space than similarly priced minivans, weighs more and gets worse gas mileage. At least it tows quite well, but I would have gone with another minivan.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The Honda has a rated capacity of 3500 pounds which means you could tow the Elise if you had a lightweight trailer.
Yep. I was impressed to learn that when I bought our Odyssey. I still would love to show up to the track in a minivan towing the Elise. :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Honda has v-tak!!

jk.
V-tec

But seriously, I would take the Honda. I drove the sienna and I was not satisfied at all.

·
Banned
874 Posts
Sienna looks better and odyssey is 2 bulky IMO. I would rather have the Nissan Quest.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a Mazda MPV because I don't need more than 4(+2) seats.

However, if I need another minivan(now that MPV is no more), I would go with Mazda5 if my requirements are the same - 4 + 2 seats. If I need something bigger, definitely Honda - they drive better than Toyota, even for a minivan

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Power liftgate is cool. That may do it for me.
Read more…the one with AWD, big time yes.
Make wife happy….. that’s the biggest Yes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honda 16 64.00%
Toyota 9 36.00%

The people of LT have spoken;

I'm having the Honda delivered tomorrow and they're taking my trade back with them.

Thanks for voting,
Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts