The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week at the Daytona 500 Toyota unvieled it's new contender in the Nascar truck series. They said it qualified since it was built in the USA. It's a Tundra model.

They also speculate a Camry in the Winston Cup series soon, but no mention of a Busch car though.

Just thought it was cool that somebody finally broke the barrier....not that i don't like it the way it is, but more competition is always good motivation for better results.

http://www.nascar.com/2003/news/headlines/buzz/02/13/buzz_toyota/index.html

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I know I'm a car bigot. I know that I'm a Road snob when it comes to road tracks versus ovals. And I know I'm a Euro-Snob when it comes to F1 versus CART. But it just amazes me that they would honestly race trucks. It's one of the most utterly stupidist things I know. Why? Why would you even think of doing it? They have the aerodynamics of a frecking brick. What would posess someone to say -"Hey, let's drive these trucks really damn fast even though they handle like a Walrus on ice!"

What's next - RV Racing? Would make great 24 hour of Le Mans races. hehehe

Yeah, I'm getting flamed for that one... :D

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Well, maybe you can rest easy knowing that even those RACING those "trucks" realize the sheer stupidity of this idea, and thus those "trucks" are anything BUT. I'm no fan, and try to learn as little as I can about NASCAR and related events, but from what I've seen, they're just the same 'ol tubeframe, 60's era technological dinosaurs with body kits designed to make them vaguely resemble a truck. Of course, they lack the one feature that makes a truck a truck - a bed for hauling stuff!

As for your comment:
What would posess someone to say -"Hey, let's drive these trucks really damn fast even though they handle like a Walrus on ice!"
I've driven in enough backwoods areas of the Western US to know that this is a commonly accepted attitude amongst many truck owners in regards to how they drive their trucks on the road! ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts