The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I currently have an open diff with around 280rwhp and I'm soon to be upping that to around 380rwhp absolute max with a normal road setting of around 340rwhp

Now I know I'll eventually run into GB issues if I'm hard on it but as its a road car and I don't launch the thing often it doesn't quite go through the same stresses as the track rats. Still tossing up Jubu gear set v BWR upgrade...

With that in mind would a factory Toyota LSD handle that sort of power effectively ? I can a low mile second hand one at a very good price ($400 us) or should I skip that and go straight to the Quaife or MFactory?

Mostly road use and the odd track day, some limited hill climb

Thanks so much
Riley

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,599 Posts
Hi Guys

I currently have an open diff with around 280rwhp and I'm soon to be upping that to around 380rwhp absolute max with a normal road setting of around 340rwhp

Now I know I'll eventually run into GB issues if I'm hard on it but as its a road car and I don't launch the thing often it doesn't quite go through the same stresses as the track rats. Still tossing up Jubu gear set v BWR upgrade...

With that in mind would a factory Toyota LSD handle that sort of power effectively ? I can a low mile second hand one at a very good price ($400 us) or should I skip that and go straight to the Quaife or MFactory?

Mostly road use and the odd track day, some limited hill climb

Thanks so much
Riley

Contact Transaxle Engineering. They are supposedly the best with our transmissions.

Contact Us

San

·
Registered
618 Posts
Love my mfactory. ..first I have had of this type and it works perfect....was sold on clutch types in my other cars but this is excellent on this car....more fun on street. ..especially when wet!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a aftermarket Toyota LSD, and its been great.

1 x Toyota LSD Install Kit - Toyota ZZ = $80.75
1 x TRD/Toyota Helical LSD - Toyota 1ZZ 2ZZ 5/6-spd = $1,149.00

Good to know! If I can pick up this good used one for that price then it might well be worth it

·
because racecar
540 Posts
E153 has stock a viscous coupler LSD and stronger gears as another option

For a street only car I wouldn't bother

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
A few cents for the can of consideration...

-The open diff relieves potential strain in the driveline. So if GB sturdiness is of concern, the open diff will help with longevity

-For road course, the addition of an LSD is going to have diminishing marginal returns as your chassis setup improves. It can even create a problem with nervous corner entry and/or exit in some cases... I would spend more time on chassis setup before the LSD.

-For road course, same as the above as it pertains to brakes. The OE braking bias is questionable and further made awful with the standard/common front only BBK setups. Again, the LSD could make a nervous car more nervous on corner entry.

For the reasons above, on the road course, I'd suggest focusing on chassis first, brake bias second, and LSD last (if at all) as far as getting the best lap times out of the car.

As far as handling the power you're talking about, all the options you listed will handle the power but can impact car dynamics very differently...

FWIW- my car has several lap records at different tracks and all placed with an open diff (using an open diff was intentional and not due to budget or rules or anything of that nature)...

Hope that helps,

Phil

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few cents for the can of consideration...

-The open diff relieves potential strain in the driveline. So if GB sturdiness is of concern, the open diff will help with longevity

-For road course, the addition of an LSD is going to have diminishing marginal returns as your chassis setup improves. It can even create a problem with nervous corner entry and/or exit in some cases... I would spend more time on chassis setup before the LSD.

-For road course, same as the above as it pertains to brakes. The OE braking bias is questionable and further made awful with the standard/common front only BBK setups. Again, the LSD could make a nervous car more nervous on corner entry.

For the reasons above, on the road course, I'd suggest focusing on chassis first, brake bias second, and LSD last (if at all) as far as getting the best lap times out of the car.

As far as handling the power you're talking about, all the options you listed will handle the power but can impact car dynamics very differently...

FWIW- my car has several lap records at different tracks and all placed with an open diff (using an open diff was intentional and not due to budget or rules or anything of that nature)...

Hope that helps,

Phil

Phil as usual your input is really appreciated as you have allot of real word experience and that can't be beaten! Thank you so much. I'll leave it like it is and see how it goes with the upgrade. I'm going to chuck some MT90 in it as well. Thanks again

·
Vendor
3,279 Posts
I would tweak a bit on Phil's comments. The quaife or TRD is going to have minimal effect on corner entry feel as they operate as an open diff under braking. Helical/Torsen Diffs have zero preload so there is no locking on corner entry. Additionally, they will also help protect the driveline since they have zero drive when a wheel completely loses grip i.e. hopping a curb or a big transition in pavement i.e. Lincoln, NE.... The open diff will be a bit easier as there is much less drive under changing conditions.

Clutchpack Diffs, which do have issues with corner entry push AND will drive an airborne wheel are more problematic. The notable exception being the BWR OSGiken which we tuned to eliminate the corner entry push. This is possible because of a few unique characteristics of the OSGiken vs. regular clutch diffs like the KAAZ or the mfactory. Properly tuned, the OSG will provide the absolute greatest amount of total grip out of a corner. For autoX a diff is essential to get thrust off the corners in low gears. For track, as Phil says, less so. His race car is optimized to make an open diff work on the track. Most folks cars are not as optimized(in fairness they also have less power), so there are places a track or street car definitely can benefit from a differential. For roadrace, I agree: Chassis, Brakes, Diff. For Autox: Chassis, Diff, Brakes.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would tweak a bit on Phil's comments. The quaife or TRD is going to have minimal effect on corner entry feel as they operate as an open diff under braking. Helical/Torsen Diffs have zero preload so there is no locking on corner entry. Additionally, they will also help protect the driveline since they have zero drive when a wheel completely loses grip i.e. hopping a curb or a big transition in pavement i.e. Lincoln, NE.... The open diff will be a bit easier as there is much less drive under changing conditions.

Clutchpack Diffs, which do have issues with corner entry push AND will drive an airborne wheel are more problematic. The notable exception being the BWR OSGiken which we tuned to eliminate the corner entry push. This is possible because of a few unique characteristics of the OSGiken vs. regular clutch diffs like the KAAZ or the mfactory. Properly tuned, the OSG will provide the absolute greatest amount of total grip out of a corner. For autoX a diff is essential to get thrust off the corners in low gears. For track, as Phil says, less so. His race car is optimized to make an open diff work on the track. Most folks cars are not as optimized(in fairness they also have less power), so there are places a track or street car definitely can benefit from a differential. For roadrace, I agree: Chassis, Brakes, Diff. For Autox: Chassis, Diff, Brakes.

My $0.02.
Thanks allot Fred, really appreciate your input also. Some really good points raised...more tonthinknaboitnThanks

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,465 Posts
Been looking at these options myself as the engine and transmission are currently out of the car so it seems like an opportune time to add an LSD.

Any preference between the 3 options listed here in the subject line -- Quaife, mFactory or TRD?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Been looking at these options myself as the engine and transmission are currently out of the car so it seems like an opportune time to add an LSD.

Any preference between the 3 options listed here in the subject line -- Quaife, mFactory or TRD?
Quaife has a lifetime warranty and they apparently never break. I dont encounter anyone running mFactory on any of their track cars either. I made too many changes on my car between the TRD and the Quaife, so I can't really comment.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Quaife has a lifetime warranty and they apparently never break. I dont encounter anyone running mFactory on any of their track cars either. I made too many changes on my car between the TRD and the Quaife, so I can't really comment.
I raced a heavy FWD car with a Quaife and no cooler in endurance events and can vouch for it's reliability even in the face of 300 deg diff oil temps. I have a Quaife sitting in a box that I almost got to installing last weekend. I also have the TRD in a box, so if you need one, PM me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts