The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the Volta realized?

Rumors are flying around about a new midengined Toyota that uses either a V10 or a turbo V8.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Does this look like the rear wing is variable? The slots under the mounting bracket look a bit wide.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Funny, I'd seen those pics earlier today with someone saying it's the Supra replacement.. I thought the front looked too low to hold an engine of any size. Now that it's compared the Volta - it makes that much more sense (that it's not a direct supra replacement, but more of a volta-like production car).

hmmm... could be.

Hell if Ford can have a $150K car, and Toyota can have a Nascar, why can't Toyota have a supercar too?

sound reasoning, if you ask me. :cool:

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
babak said:
Does this look like the rear wing is variable? The slots under the mounting bracket look a bit wide.
Looks like a variable wing to me.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm digging that tri exhaust in the rear center...

If they produce something like this what kind of price point would they be shooting for? I can't see Toyota coming out with a 150,000 supercar. 50 G?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Donovan said:
I'm digging that tri exhaust in the rear center...

If they produce something like this what kind of price point would they be shooting for? I can't see Toyota coming out with a 150,000 supercar. 50 G?
Well, from the article:

Whether the final vehicle is sold as a Lexus or as a Toyota , it's likely that a limited production run of about 10,000 units is in order. Expect a debut at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show and an on-sale date soon after - with a price tag well over $100,000.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
$100,00? I'm out.

Seems wierd to make a super sports car and not have an affordable sports car in the lineup (with the killing of the celica and MR-2). Who else makes a car like this and doesn't make a sports car?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Donovan said:

Seems wierd to make a super sports car and not have an affordable sports car in the lineup (with the killing of the celica and MR-2). Who else makes a car like this and doesn't make a sports car?
I can think of a couple of companies, but they sure as heck don't make Echos...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I can think of a couple of companies, but they sure as heck don't make Echos...
See I can't - who am I missing? I mean even Chrysler has the Crossfire. Ford has the Mustang. For all practical purposes these are considered "sports cars".

The sportiest car Toyota will have is the Corolla XRS or the Matrix.
I bet when/if this car ever materializes it will be a psuedo MR2/Celica replacement. A sort of 350Z type car with similar price point.

Edit - but from the above spy shots it sure doesn't look like it!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Donovan said:
I bet when/if this car ever materializes it will be a psuedo MR2/Celica replacement. A sort of 350Z type car with similar price point.
I doubt it. They're trying their hardest to make this MR look like the FR Supra. My guess is they'll either up the performance of their celicas & mr2s or introduce a new mid-range sports car a year after this supercar.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Given Toyota's recent moves, I expect this will be badged a Lexus. The Celica will reappear as a Scion model. *If* the MR-2 comes back (and I hope it does), it will also be a Scion model.

Jim

·
Registered
352 Posts
Over $100,000? I don't think it will be successful. The styling and proportions, while attractive from what I can see, are too sober for a $100K supercar. Especially from a company with no heritage and tradition in that price point. The NSX when it came out, had far more successful "exoticar" styling. It looked (and looks) more like a exotic supercar.

If this were a $50K Supra replacement, then it might be a great success. It would compare favorably to the C6 Corvette.

DLY

·
Registered
528 Posts
etypeiii said:
Over $100,000? I don't think it will be successful. The styling and proportions, while attractive from what I can see, are too sober for a $100K supercar. Especially from a company with no heritage and tradition in that price point. The NSX when it came out, had far more successful "exoticar" styling. It looked (and looks) more like a exotic supercar.

If this were a $50K Supra replacement, then it might be a great success. It would compare favorably to the C6 Corvette.

DLY

Spy Shot: Toyota sports coupe
Could this be the world's first high-performance petrol/electric hybrid sportscar? First, a little background. Toyota has confirmed that it is to discontinue both the Celica and the MR2 in the USA next autumn - and here are pictures of its next sporting contender. Less a replacement for either the Celica or MR2 and more a next-generation Supra, this coupe is to be aimed squarely at the likes of the Nissan 350Z and Porsche Boxster (soon to be available as a coupe too). Insiders suggest a good 300-350bhp from a turbocharged engine, and either rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive. But check out the vents and cooling ducts towards the rear of the car. As the car's shape indicates a front-mounted engine, these vents could well be for cooling a battery and auxiliary electric motor fitted in the rear. There has even been speculation that the new sportscar could be called 'Volca', a handy collaboration between 'volts' and 'volcano'.
There is certainly precedence for such an approach. At the Geneva Motor Show last spring, Toyota unveiled the Alessandro Volta concept, named after the inventor of the battery. This ItalDesign-penned prototype was based around a mid-mounted 3.3-litre V6 and two electric motors (one for each axle), producing a total of 408bhp and a projected 155mph, 0-60 in around 4 seconds yet an average 60mpg. It's too soon for a car like the Volta to go into production, with its complete set of drive-by-wire controls, including steering, which allow the positioning of the steering wheel in front of any of the three-abreast front seats. However, a Toyota product-planning insider hinted to 4Car at the time that a smaller, simpler version could conceivably appear in a few years' time. "By 2008, carmakers selling in Europe will have to have an average of 140g/km C02 emissions across their range," he said. "So we either cut out the thirsty cars or we sell lots and lots of small cars. This is a way to have a sports car and keep within the rules." The car pictured here looks like the first new sports car developed to those principles, albeit with a more mainstream construction and less futuristic technology than the concept.

Toyota is also said to be working on a proper supercar: a limited-production exotic codenamed TXS, with a mid-mounted 5.4 V10 delivering 500bhp and 370lb ft. Weighing under 1350kg, it should offer 0-60 mph acceleration in well under 4 seconds and a good 190mph. Should it ever go to production, this could well be more like the Volta than the more mainstream car snapped here. In the meantime, the smaller 'Supra' is expected to appear at the Tokyo Motor Show next autumn.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
etypeiii said:
Over $100,000? I don't think it will be successful. The styling and proportions, while attractive from what I can see, are too sober for a $100K supercar.
I dunno if I agree with that. The styling is completely obscured, and the proportions are nearly identical to the DBR9 (a 100k+ supercar):

Attachments

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I heard its the new Paseo.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Donovan said:
See I can't - who am I missing? I mean even Chrysler has the Crossfire. Ford has the Mustang. For all practical purposes these are considered "sports cars".

The sportiest car Toyota will have is the Corolla XRS or the Matrix.

Edit - but from the above spy shots it sure doesn't look like it!
Sorry, it was meant to be taken lightly. I was referring to the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini. They both make what you'd call 'super sports cars' and they don't have an affordable (to me) sports car in the lineup...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts