The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Volta used to be listed in the 'Concept Vehicles' section on the Toyota site. Now it has been moved to the 'Future Vehicles' section along with the FJ concept which we already know is going into production.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/index.html



:shift:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
well toyota also is lexus, and lexus has the sc430, and some other sport-4 doors(is300). so there are avg. priced sports cars, just under a different emblem. same people, though

that volta has a HUGE windshield. i love glass
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
so there are avg. priced sports cars
i dont see how a four door car can ever be called a sports car....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,599 Posts
Graydon said:
Ever heard of an EVO?
It's a fast sedan, but it's still not a sports car. -poke-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
MickOpalak said:
It's a fast sedan, but it's still not a sports car. -poke-
I guess its a matter of opinion, but I'll just point out that the evo spanks 2 seat "sports cars" such as the 350z, s2000, mr2, miata, z4, etc... :)
 

·
Not the admin anymore
Joined
·
11,952 Posts
Graydon said:
I guess its a matter of opinion, but I'll just point out that the evo spanks 2 seat "sports cars" such as the 350z, s2000, mr2, miata, z4, etc... :)
Then it's simply a matter of a sedan beating sports cars.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,464 Posts
Back on topic

In 1800, Alessandro Volta arranged zinc and copper discs in a column and invented the battery. 204 years later, Toyota has electrified automotive history with the first high-performance hybrid, named in his honor. The Giugiaro-designed carbon-fiber body seats three people abreast and features "drive-by-wire" controls, allowing you to position the steering wheel and pedals in front of any one of them. And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0 - 60 acceleration in a mere 4 seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling.
Not bad!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,599 Posts
Graydon said:
I guess its a matter of opinion, but I'll just point out that the evo spanks 2 seat "sports cars" such as the 350z, s2000, mr2, miata, z4, etc... :)
In my humble opinion, sports car = two seat, two door, rear drive, light weight, no consessions to luxury. No four doors, no AWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Bah !

You and your luxury orientated cars with fancy schmancy things like doors - be a man - real sports cars don't have doors, next you'll be telling me sports cars should have windscreens !

:evil:

-poke-

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
for the average person, you have to allow alot of 4-doors that are sporty, to be sports cars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,599 Posts
mrluky said:
for the average person, you have to allow alot of 4-doors that are sporty, to be sports cars

Who says I do?!? :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,599 Posts
uncle_git said:
Bah !

You and your luxury orientated cars with fancy schmancy things like doors - be a man - real sports cars don't have doors, next you'll be telling me sports cars should have windscreens !

:evil:

-poke-


Actually, the little tiny black screen in the photo qualifies as a windscreen, just a very, very short one. And the 7 has doors, they've just been replaced with black plastic panels in the 7 in question.
 

·
Not the admin anymore
Joined
·
11,952 Posts
mrluky said:
for the average person, you have to allow alot of 4-doors that are sporty, to be sports cars
No way.... 'sports car' are two VERY overused words when describing cars.... Granted there is no exact definition and everyone here may have a different idea of what a true 'sports car' is.....BUT, you HAVE to draw the line somewhere......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
MickOpalak said:
In my humble opinion, sports car = two seat, two door, rear drive, light weight, no consessions to luxury. No four doors, no AWD.
Well, my Turbo begs to differ on some of those qualifications. :p

Seriously, the term is very VERY relative. While 911's have always bordered on the Sports Car vs. Sport Coupe fine line, I tend to agree with you that a sports car should have only 2 seats... Does it count if I always have them folded down? ;)

Anyway, that Toyota is very cool. Now I'd like to see Honda take their work on compressed natural gas in their upcoming Civic and apply it to a future NSX! I can't decide if hybrid is really "the way" or if it is just a step along the way to a simpler solution; like leaving the basic internal combustion motor alone and use a different fuel. I'd love a natural gas sports car! If it generates enough power of course :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,985 Posts
sleepless said:
Seriously, the term is very VERY relative. While 911's have always bordered on the Sports Car vs. Sport Coupe fine line, I tend to agree with you that a sports car should have only 2 seats... Does it count if I always have them folded down? ;)
You're safe. I don't think any rational person believes those to be passenger seats by any practical definition of the term. I believe the Geneva Convention specifically forbids using them to transport prisoners of war.
 

·
Not the admin anymore
Joined
·
11,952 Posts
andykeck said:
You're safe. I don't think any rational person believes those to be passenger seats by any practical definition of the term. I believe the Geneva Convention specifically forbids using them to transport prisoners of war.

I grew up in those....I rode for thousands of miles in the back seats of my father's Porsche 356's....including a couple trips from Buffalo, NY to Ft. Myers Beach, FL and back....and this was before the Interstate system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
I guess its a matter of opinion, but I'll just point out that the evo spanks 2 seat "sports cars" such as the 350z, s2000, mr2, miata, z4, etc...
IMHO (this stands for in my humble opinon rite???)...

s2000, miata, z4, mr2 - roadsters
evo, impreza, m3, 300zx - sporty sedan (even if it is a coupe)
elise, nsx, z6 vette, viper, - sports cars
 
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Top