The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TPM light was on when I got the car off the truck. The Pressures on the car icon were at 27/28. I filled them at the gas station to 32/32. The TPM light went away but the car icon now shows 22/22. Do I have to go to the dealer to reset that or will it eventually register that I have 32/32?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Check your door sticker--rear pressure should be more like 37/38. Use a good gauge when changing pressure rather than relying on TPM. Seems unlikely that TPM needs to be "reset" -- drive a few miles and see what it reads.

·
Registered
877 Posts
tire pressure

Sometimes the dash readouts are close to actual, sometimes several pounds lower.

Also after startup the readouts are sometimes dashes - no pressure at all. After a while, the pressures show up?

I do notice the readouts increase normally with heat/driving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I had the hash marks this morning when I started it up. Then it settled around 22. When I check the tires with my gauge it shows them at 32...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Check your door sticker--rear pressure should be more like 37/38. Use a good gauge when changing pressure rather than relying on TPM. Seems unlikely that TPM needs to be "reset" -- drive a few miles and see what it reads.

Yes your pressures should be around 32 front 36 rear - check the sticker on the door jamb

The TPI is not that accurate and really only let's you know if you have a significant pressure difference between the four tyres, i.e. if one goes flat then the warning light will come on although that said mine are only a pound or two out

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
Set tires with proper gauge and drive. The sensors are usually within a pound or so of a good digital gauge, not some antique pencil gauge. Drive it a mile or 2 and it sets to new pressure. If you're reading ~22 on TPMS sensors your gauge is ????

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hey guys, my TPMS is low by 4 pounds, but the OP is having a reading that is exactly 10 pounds low! That is completely unreasonable.

The TPMS on my Dodge reads correctly. There has to be a reset procedure out there somewhere for our dear Lotus.

By the way, I tried out 30 front/32 rear this weekend and it felt very good.
Using the stock pressures flat spotted the inner ribs of my rear tires the first time around, so I am gonna run lower for a while.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
IMO, you have an alignment problem -- not a pressure problem.
I've run 36-38 in the rear for 9K miles and the wear pattern on the tires is perfect.

Also, I suspect if the TPMS needs resetting, I'm sure it can be done at a dealer who has the proper software. The only thing the owner can change is which pressure units are displayed (metric vs English).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMO, you have an alignment problem -- not a pressure problem.
I've run 36-38 in the rear for 9K miles and the wear pattern on the tires is perfect.

Also, I suspect if the TPMS needs resetting, I'm sure it can be done at a dealer who has the proper software. The only thing the owner can change is which pressure units are displayed (metric vs English).
hmmm, this might be my problem, I may be in metric...I looked at it again today and it appears to say 2.2 not 22.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
2.2 bar is 32 psi, so that is probably the answer.
Chk the owner's manual to see how to convert readout to English units.

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
30/32 good start pressures for track but a bit low for street. I'm finding 33/35 to be very good for street. Typical slight reduction of rears as car is not fully laden.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Wow, this thread sure got off track...TPMS, not recommended tire pressures, folks!

Anyhoo, my TPMS light is now on, and the RightRear pressure is flashing....thing is, it is the same pressure as the other tires, and actually increases as I drive, so there is no flat tire. Does the flashing mean that the battery in the sensor is low? Guess we should have that changed with the tires, as I just had that done. Wheels are very delicate, tire shop messes them up pretty good, scratches, etc from their tooling. Guess I will have the low tire light on for another 10k miles!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
One way I saw that my TMPS was reset was to put a different set of TMPS wheels the rears from my other car and run them with the stock on the fronts.

The TMPS zeroed out the rear readings but continue to read 32psi on the front. Then when I put the original stock rears back on they continued to flash zeros but after a couple of drives the readings were reset back to a more accurate 36psi reading. I assume the sensors installed on the temporary pair were incompatible with Lotus' TMPS.

Keep in mind this isn't something I did on purpose, just by casual observation when I swapped the wheels out while my stock ones got repaired. Unfortunately I am not able try this with the front wheels to get them to recalibrate because I don't have an extra set of front tires to mess with.

I can imagine if two owners completely swapped their wheels for a day, both cars' TPMS systems might recalibrate? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
That is because you are running pressures that are tttttttttttoooooo LOW silly. Those sensors are calibrated for our 33.5/36 , I believe, and you are running low below that warning threshold.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
All 4 readings were consistent. The flashing one actually increased, but seems to now lag after the car is started.

Anyone have the specs as far as how these TPMS sensors work?

Batteries? I really expected them to be powered by the rotational energy, based upon their only reading when in motion.

I am guessing it is a weak signal from that tire.

·
Registered
110 Posts
All 4 readings were consistent. The flashing one actually increased, but seems to now lag after the car is started.

Anyone have the specs as far as how these TPMS sensors work?

Batteries? I really expected them to be powered by the rotational energy, based upon their only reading when in motion.

I am guessing it is a weak signal from that tire.
This may not answer your question but hopefully gives a little insight into their operation. I'm not positive on the Evora, but my Infiniti TPMS sensors are battery operated. I believe they are sealed units though, so you can't just replace the battery in one.

Generally these sensors "sleep" when not moving and "wake up" upon rotation. They then transmit a reading to the ECU every couple/few minutes. If a signal from a certain tire is not received for a given amount of time (23 minutes in my car), the ECU then throws an error and the TPMS light comes on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
One way I saw that my TMPS was reset was to put a different set of TMPS wheels the rears from my other car and run them with the stock on the fronts.

The TMPS zeroed out the rear readings but continue to read 32psi on the front. Then when I put the original stock rears back on they continued to flash zeros but after a couple of drives the readings were reset back to a more accurate 36psi reading. I assume the sensors installed on the temporary pair were incompatible with Lotus' TMPS.

Keep in mind this isn't something I did on purpose, just by casual observation when I swapped the wheels out while my stock ones got repaired. Unfortunately I am not able try this with the front wheels to get them to recalibrate because I don't have an extra set of front tires to mess with.

I can imagine if two owners completely swapped their wheels for a day, both cars' TPMS systems might recalibrate? :shrug:
In answer to your last question, no, they wouldn't. Think of these sensors like your phone and its Bluetooth connection to the car. The dealer has a programmer which essentially pairs each transmitter to a specific ECU.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hey, now I've got 2 flashing sensors, one front and one rear.
For laughs, I will try topping up the pressure back to factory, as my "low pressure" strategy is hurting my gas mileage, as much as it does eliminate the "tread squirm" of the new tires.

Mind you all four tires are within 1psi of each other.

OK, I pumped them up. They were at a real world pressure of 28PSI.
After pumping up to 33/36 specification, the lights continued to flash at me.
Only after a trip downtown and a subsequent restart did all resume normal status.

I looked it up, and the specification is "below 75% of manufacturer's specification", which would be 24.75/27. The fact that my sensors read 4 pounds low makes mine go off sooner than average, essentially at 28.75/31, which is about what I was trying to run it at.

How all tires got to 28 is anyone's guess.
(I inow, it's because I was not checking them, right? :) )

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've re-read this thread, and I'm not sure I know the answer to this question:

If you put Lotus-compatible TPMS sensors on a 2nd set of wheels, and mount them, do you have to "pair" the new sensors? Or does the car know that the new signals it is receiving is the correct one by default?

Put another way, can you swap TPMS sensor-equipped wheels without having to reprogram anything?

The reason I ask is, I just got a 2nd set of wheels for track use. I did not put TPMS sensors on the track wheels (and obviously get a TPMS warning on the dash when I have those mounted). However, if I had put on TPMS sensors on the track wheels and could switch between the track wheels and the OEM wheels without having to reprogram/"pair" anything, this would be the ideal situation, and I may end up doing that the next time i swap out my track tires.

Anyone have an idea?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts