The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

TPMS Fix

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mattjk 
#1 ·
I had the tires mounted today on my new Kodiak wheels and they look great. Kodiak said I could epoxy my sensors in the wheels but that would ruin the sensors if I decided to move on to different wheels in the future and I would then have to buy new sensors.

Here's my TPMS fix. I decided not to epoxy the sensors in the wheels as suggested. I took a piece of 3" PVC pipe and drilled a hole for one of the sensors at the half way point of the tube. I then mounted that sensor in the tube with the stem sticking out and bolted the sleeve down tight (use a little silicone to ensure seal). I then used PVC glue and put end cap on one end of the tube. Then placed the other 3 sensors in the tube with a little bubble wrap (after all I'm not making a rattle). Then I removed the needle from the valve sticking out and glued on the other end cap on. When everything was dry (wait 24 hrs - don't get impatient), I replaced the needle in the valve, filled the tube to 40 psi, placed it in the trunk with velcro and sha-bang, the TPMS light when out.

I think I'm smart enough to check the air pressure in my tires regularly. I don't need the idiot light to remind me.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Way cool tinkering. I plumb with PVC under pressure usually never a problem but what if pop. You can remover the four sensors and then turn off the code light that appears on the dash. Then your Lotus would weighs less too.

#3 ·
Let us know if this works. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but as far as I know the Siemens/Schrader sensors on our cars also need to be in motion for them to become active. IIRC they switch on at about 15 mph (this is how they claim the batteries in them will last 10 years). If this is the case, you took care of the pressure issue, but unless you spin that tube around, I don't think they will become active and start sending signals. I have seen this tube thing done with other sensors that didn't require the movement (some Toyotas for example), but have not seen this for the Siemens sensors. Again, I hope it works for you and please do let us know the results.

#4 · (Edited)
You're not raining on my parade... All tested and working... If I let the air out of the tube the light comes on then as soon as I fill the tube with air the light goes off... Also, with this fix the sensors are intact and able to be used on another set of wheels, put back in your original wheels or you can just leave them velco'd in the trunk.

Way cool tinkering. I plumb with PVC under pressure usually never a problem but what if pop. You can remover the four sensors and then turn off the code light that appears on the dash. Then your Lotus would weighs less too.
You can not just turn off the light with a code reader. The sensors MUST read proper air pressure then the light will go off automatically. As far as the tube popping not a chance as I filled the tube up to 60 psi to test without issue and I only keep 35 psi in the tube to keep the light out. However, you MUST wait the 24 hrs. to dry (ask me how I know).

The fix works perfectly... :D

#7 ·
So here we are in 2020, Everything I have read says the GM TPMS turns on by rolling. Can anyone else put in their 2¢ as to whether this works with an Exige? TIA

#8 ·
Yes, I did this also, it works with the stock sensors.

However, when I built my tube, I used a 3 foot long tube... a small tube with low air volume makes it extremely difficult to pump in the correct amount of air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.