The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Elise SC started showing a TPMS warning "LR Low" about six months ago. I double checked the tire pressure, but the warning remained. Then, in the past month, it started showing two more low pressure warnings. I tried increasing the pressure to about 32 psi -but still the warnings were displayed.

Logic and a bit of research indicated that this was not a problem with the central TPMS receiver unit. A possible explanation was that the batteries were failing in the wheel-mounted sensors (although I found one source that claimed a ten year life for the batteries). I looked at sourcing some replacement sensors...

As a last ditch attempt, I let almost all the air out of the tires that were generating warnings, and then pumped them back up to factory spec. And then, a miracle happened: the warnings ceased. And they remain absent one month later.

Has anybody else observed the TPMS sensors needing this kind of reset?

-CHris

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
10 year battery life.....(sounds a bit optimistic)

Great diagnosis. I have a 08 S240 and swapped out the sensors a few weeks
ago so I'll keep a lookout for any dash lights.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
I had a "TPMS Fault" plastered on my dash today.
The aluminum value stems were not tightened enough.
That was the fault.

Thought this might help someone...:wave:

·
Registered
362 Posts
As a last ditch attempt, I let almost all the air out of the tires that were generating warnings, and then pumped them back up to factory spec. And then, a miracle happened: the warnings ceased. And they remain absent one month later.

Has anybody else observed the TPMS sensors needing this kind of reset?

-CHris

Wish I read this before I ordered new TPMS sensors, I was having a LR error but every time I check the pressure it was 29psi. I released it down to 10psi last night and then promptly refilled it to 29psi right after, started the car and the light was off! Thanks for saving me a trip to the tire shop.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two months after "reset" feedback...

Glad it worked for you. And I can confirm two months after the "reset" that my TPMS continues to behave.
Wish I read this before I ordered new TPMS sensors, I was having a LR error but every time I check the pressure it was 29psi. I released it down to 10psi last night and then promptly refilled it to 29psi right after, started the car and the light was off! Thanks for saving me a trip to the tire shop.

·
Registered
365 Posts
reviving an old thread as i started having a TPMS issue where all 4 tires display at 0.

the draining the air trick and refilling them, does the car need to be on for this to take effect? i tried it with the car off with no difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts