The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the normal TPS numbers for these cars?

I had my scanner plugged in and that no pedal input it reads about 5% and at WOT it's at about 75%. I can't remember any other vehicle that didn't read close to 0% and 100%.

Not sure it's an issue or normal??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Resetting the ECU may help. I don't think it's a problem per se. I haven't looked too closely at how the lotus controls the throttle but typically the ECU keeps a record of it's minimum ever recorded throttle position and the maximum and uses that to report the actual as a percentage of those two.

Coles notes of it the throttle is probably working properly, it just isn't reporting the right values.

-Michael

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I got to thinking about this some more and remembered I had a spare DBW throttle body. I hooked it up and it also read 78% TPS at full throttle. I recorded the butterfly while holding down the peddle and it does open to 100%.

So I guess my concern would be to make sure that a tuner has the maps for wide open throttle activate when the TPS is reading its max value, in our case 78%. Or if the ECU is using actual butterfly blade position instead of the traditional TPS sensor.

I'm guessing the latter is possible as the whole point of DBW is that the computer can control the blade position independant of what the driver is inputing with the throttle pedal. So even though you may "request" 25% throttle, the ECU could open the butterfly to 30 or 40%.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Maybe Offtopic, but is this whining normal? My car does exact the same and I always wondered if there wasn't a short somewhere (buzzing noise).

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Offtopic, but... Westrock, thanks for answering a question for me.

I have been wondering if on a DBW car, if I press the throttle slightly when starting the car, does it really open the throttle blade.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Maybe Offtopic, but is this whining normal? My car does exact the same and I always wondered if there wasn't a short somewhere (buzzing noise).
Yes it's normal. The spare throttle body I have is from a Toyota Celica, so it's a normal Toyota behavior.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looking at this thread again there is TPS relative and TPS absolute. The absolute is going to be relative to the maximum and minimum allowed values 0.1v and 4.9v approx. The ECU itself doesn't use the throttle position for a lot of things in the tune.

-Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes it's normal. The spare throttle body I have is from a Toyota Celica, so it's a normal Toyota behavior.
I heard that you can reset the Throttle Body Motor. And maybe the noise disappear. Can someone please tell me how to do that on a Toyota Elise/Exige with electronic gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts