The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am going to do mostly 90 percent track driving with my 2006 Exige with non track pack suspension. I have heard that people are removing shims from the uprights to get more negative camber, is this documented somewhere here? Also what are everyone's thoughts on adjustable sway bars? Would be nice to have them but don't know what brand to buy. Shocks/springs are staying stock until I learn how to drive better were my thoughts, but certainly looking for feedback in that area.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Your aftermarket swaybar choices:

Adjustable Anti-roll Bar, Lotus Suspension Products - Blackwatch Racing

Elise Parts -  >  > Adjustable Anti Roll Bars

Elise Parts -  >  > 1" Adjustable Anti Roll Bar

Lotus Elise ARB from here http://www.hofmanns.co.uk/content/index.asp?id=48

Front Adjustable Anti Roll Bar (Elise, Exige, 340R all models) [S1ARBAR] - €168.00 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

I have the 7/8" bar from Fred at Blackwatch and am very happy with it. Right now he only seems to list his standard 3/4" bar. If you want to use the 1" bar from Eliseparts you'll almost certainly need more damping to control it, email them and ask.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hi all,

I am going to do mostly 90 percent track driving with my 2006 Exige with non track pack suspension. I have heard that people are removing shims from the uprights to get more negative camber, is this documented somewhere here? Also what are everyone's thoughts on adjustable sway bars? Would be nice to have them but don't know what brand to buy. Shocks/springs are staying stock until I learn how to drive better were my thoughts, but certainly looking for feedback in that area.
An oldie but goodie: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/camber-adjustment-removing-shims-6334/

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NICE!! Thanks.. Looks like i have some reading to do!1:D

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
If you are planning to track quite a bit:

Shave arms
Remove shims
Sway bar (e.g. BWR sway bar)
Eventually, adjustable shocks (double adjustable)
15/16 wheel setup

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,116 Posts
Your aftermarket swaybar choices:

Adjustable Anti-roll Bar, Lotus Suspension Products - Blackwatch Racing

Elise Parts - *>**>*Adjustable Anti Roll Bars

Elise Parts - *>**>*1" Adjustable Anti Roll Bar

Lotus Elise ARB from here http://www.hofmanns.co.uk/content/index.asp?id=48

Front Adjustable Anti Roll Bar (Elise, Exige, 340R all models) [S1ARBAR] - €168.00 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

I have the 7/8" bar from Fred at Blackwatch and am very happy with it. Right now he only seems to list his standard 3/4" bar. If you want to use the 1" bar from Eliseparts you'll almost certainly need more damping to control it, email them and ask.
How did the bwr ARB change the cars dymamics? Why did you get the 7/8 and not the 3/4?
I really need one.
-Robert

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
How did the bwr ARB change the cars dymamics? Why did you get the 7/8 and not the 3/4?
I really need one.
-Robert
Frankly, I got the 7/8" bar because I hate body roll, and I wanted to see how it did. It has been very rewarding, as far as I'm concerned the handling has only improved. Better turn-in, higher cornering speeds, and more stable under all conditions. The ride didn't change noticeably, and understeer decreased. With the stock bar I was somewhat cautious when I tossed the car around, but now it feels far more predictable and confidence-inspiring. I had been wondering why the British Elise guys all used bigger bars, now I know ;)

After I had it on the car a while I experimented with spring rates, described here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/nitron-sport-vs-sport-pro-any-btdt-out-there-76687/

BTW, I gave a friend's mother a ride the other day and she complimented me on how well the car rides :eek: Guess I'll have to crank up the damping now ;)

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,116 Posts
I have the sportpro too, what are yours set to?
Mine are...if I recall front: 8 from fullhard, rear:10 from fullhard

I believe there are 24 adjustments???

Eliseparts sell a 1" arb, which would probably be overkill without increased spring rates...but isn't 525/650 pretty high?

Thnaks for the link, Robert

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have the sportpro too, what are yours set to?
Mine are...if I recall front: 8 from fullhard, rear:10 from fullhard

I believe there are 24 adjustments???

Eliseparts sell a 1" arb, which would probably be overkill without increased spring rates...but isn't 525/650 pretty high?

Thnaks for the link, Robert
I eased up on the damping a lot on the front for the softer springs, 15 back from full, 11 back from full on the rear. Turn-in is fantastic.

With larger ARBs there is a need for more damping than stock, but with the Nitrons the shock damping should be sufficient for the 1" ARB. Email Geary at Eliseparts to be sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts