The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I want to find an Iphone app that will log with my OBD ii device as well as a iphone and Gopro.Mostly want some referance vids and to see where I need to change things. It will be for some track but mostly autocross and street use.
Im currently looking at this one, Harrys Laptimer and I was wondering what yall think or if yall have any better apps to do this. Ive never done this before so be gentile.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Harry's GPS lap timer is very popular.

I have been usting Track Addict for basic and predictive lap timing.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Buy a solo DL and a smartycam and stop fucking around with apps that fail to start, batteries that die, data you cant compare with others etc. Its not cheap, but it is invaluable to pull the video off the card the moment you get out and watch your laps.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
Buy a solo DL and a smartycam and stop fucking around with apps that fail to start, batteries that die, data you cant compare with others etc. Its not cheap, but it is invaluable to pull the video off the card the moment you get out and watch your laps.
I am changing to this myself this year. Harry’s was good for a while but a pain to sync video to and then it stopped working most of the time. No idea why it no longer starts the timer...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I still really like my RaceCapture Mk3 + Solostorm app combination. The Mk3 is a versatile logger with 2X CAN buses (receive & transmit), OBD2 interface, iPhone & Android phone/tablet compatibly via Wifi or Bluetooth, analog inputs, PWM outputs, GPS antenna, built in IMU and microSD logging... to name a few features. It can also control a GoPro for automated video capture.

Solostorm is what I use for the on-track display. It interfaces nicely with the RaceCapture and is excellent for data analysis between sessions. It was designed for auto-x originally, but has been expanded to feature time attack and hill climb modes. Downside for iOS users - it only runs on Android. It can also control a GoPro and has easy-to-configure triggers to make start/stop logging simple.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've had good experience with RaceChrono on an android device with OBD2 reader and external GPS.
Video overlay process is convoluted and time consuming especially if you're dealing with high resolution like 4K, but I've been satisfied with the result, but people say I'm glutton for punishment.
360 video even...
You can analyze and compare data with others on Track Attack, although they've recently switched to a subscription model.

If you want something more turn-key, AiM seems to be the way to go. Spendy, but not outrageous compared to full-on professional system, and LARGE user base among track day people.
SmartyCam does GPS data logging and video overlay in a single unit so you can just set it up and go.
(not my video)
Or Solo2DL just for datalogging if you don't need video or you'd rather use your own camera separately since SmartyCam can only do 720p.
Plus, they have plenty of external sensors and what not available that you can incorporate within their ecosystem.
If you want to get fancy, they recently released the MX2E, a digital dashlogger for Elise/Exige that seamlessly integrates with the car. AiM MX2E

I'm in the process of moving on to RaceCapture by Autosport Labs since it's affordable and has lots of opportunity for customization. It's still app/raspberry pi based(for display and control), but the actual logger hardware is legit. It's not as plug-n-play as others, but that's sort of why I actually like about it. I got a brake pressure sensor and oil temp sensor installed, I just have to wire it in now. I intend to add steering angle sensor down the line and hopefully IR tire temperature sensor when it becomes available later in the year.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I have to give kudos to AIM. They engineer, build, sell and service great systems that don't require an IEEE to install and configure. I'm mostly an analog guy in a digital world, but I've easily made their products work for my purposes. You don't have to spend a lot of money if you don't want to, or you can... 10 years ago, my son helped me make a go kart Mychron4 work on a 4 stroke Kent engine and log basic data with GPS for less than $250. I merged video from a Contour HD with RaceRender and it worked great.

The SmartyCam HD can be purchased for standalone use or CAN systems. Their video doesn't "roll or wave" from vibration. No, it's not 4K, nor does it need to be. Their video compression works well and doesn't result in huge files. The speed, gforces and lap times all log in the video. The new MXL kit for the Elise looks awesome and video from a SmartyCam is pretty much plug and play once you decide how you want your video and display to look.

I have an older MXL Pista with a SmartyCam GP2.1 on my Crossle FF. There were no CANs in 1973.... Finding out I was "double braking" in the brake zone during downshifting from my brake pressure traces and leaving lap time on the table made the cost and work worth the effort. It showed exactly where I was giving up time. I picked up more than a second a lap at Sonoma just with that data.

The newer Solo 2 DL kits give you the choice of features vs cost range. A SmartyCam isn't necessary, but it's pretty nice. For years I used a Contour HD for video and exported AIM data via csv file to RaceRender to merge my data and video between practice and qualifying. RaceRender worked well, but once I saw how I quickly I could obtain results from the Smartycam and review video/data easier between sessions, I was sold. I'm a one man operation and the time savings in the paddock is important. The minute my Contour HD died, I bought the SmartyCam.

AIM product service in Elsinore has been absolutely awesome with their product service and support. I have also been really happy with sales and support from David and Ellen at Veracity Racing Data in Paso Robles, CA. If a solution isn't commercially available, they invent one!

Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
70 Posts
The problem with the apps is they use up a ton of battery and take up precious space on your phone. And the gps sorta sucks, so you're now talking about needing peripherals which are paniful to set up. I tried using a separate "burner" phone once but it still had issues, sometimes didn't turn on, it overheated, etc.

It's just too much of a pain when you should be focused on driving. Sometimes I just start Harry's on my phone and leave it in my center console and don't bother with video on that device.

I found that gopro Hero7 records gps data and I could extract laptimes, so I think coming up that'll be my one stop shop for a while until I get an AIM setup

Solutions like that just mean you're restricted to analyzing the lap later, at home.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have track addict, Harry's, and race chrono. Been enjoying track addict most recently. I picked up a Garmin glo 2 for like 70 bucks off eBay to get my gps signal. And got an obdkink lx for like 40 bucks to get obd data. It's good so far. No issues.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,387 Posts
If you use a phone app, a common problem here in Texas is that the phone will die from overheat if it is in the sun, so mount it somewhere that it is not getting direct sunlight.

I also vote for no-touch AiM setup. My signature has links to my YouTube videos which include an overview of my AiM setup (SmartyCam).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts