The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Track day yesterday at Pacific Raceways near Seattle one of the participants had a new GT-R. Sitting among the Porches and Lotus cars it was one ugly S.O.B. It was much larger that I anticpated but it did not lack for power & speed. The guy that brought it was understadibly taking it a little on the easy side with the car so I couldn't really get a true side by side on track comparison against my s/c Elise. Driving down there were kids hanging out car window on I-5 taking cell phone picks of the car and generally loosing their minds. I have pics and will post as soon as I can. The owner himself thought it was not very attractive (his words) but he said that it certainly did not lack for track ability & power and that he didn't really give a $H** what it looked like from the outside "cause he was inside it most of the time.

Following it through a couple of the corners he set up braking early and had a different line but his acceleration out was pretty amazing. I think that had he been going at 9/10 instead of 7 that the turbo Porches and the lone Vette out yesterday would have had a new kid on the block to deal with on the straights.

But still it was one ugly S.O.B. IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Indeed, it's the ugly girl that puts out. She's expen$ive for being such an ugly one too. :p

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
To me it is not so much ugly as just plain boring looking, no style or uniqueness for the $70k + you shell out. I think the average person would think it is a $20K Nissan something or other tuner car. GTR owners probably have the opposite stupid comments we get, That thing have a 2.0L 4 banger? That cost you about $20K right ? Is that a type R ? my brother has one just like it.....

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd have to say that I hate it less now, than I initially did and most of my hatred of it comes from the front of the car. Now, it's a bit more acceptable, but overall i think they could have done a bit more to it overall.

In the end, I don't think that it's ugly but more appropriately not sexy. It doesn't have graceful or flowing lines... it looks like it was chiseled out from granite and made to look as visually heavy and solid as possible. I believe Nissan clearly made a conscious decision to make it uniquely "japanese", whether that is a successful execution of it remains to be seen, and I'm sure many can argue that if the GT-R is the embodiment of 'Japanese' design, then Japanese make ugly cars (vs. Italians, Germans, UK, Etc...)

I personally like the rear of the car, it does somewhat echo the look and feel of the prior generations and does have a very 'juggernaut' look to it that goes well with the wedged look of the vehicle.. it just gets a bit diluted and watered-down by the time it gets to the front.

As I've told my friends time and time again.. i think they would have had a better response if it looked more like the concept car... but then again, the concept car looked more fluid, and sexy rather than a beast. And maybe that's what Nissan was trying to do in the end... create a beast of a car that couldn't be denied when seen... and had to be respected.

If I had ~70k, I think the GT-R would be high on my list of cars to get... you can't really deny the numbers, and looks wise.. I kind of like the fact that it doesn't blend in with the rest of the 'supercars' that others have created.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After seeing it in person, it's still ugly, but it is impressive. The big wheels and massive brake rotors and calipers help a lot in this regard. Of course, my wife passed by it like it was a normal sedan. :p

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
To me it is not so much ugly as just plain boring looking, no style or uniqueness for the $70k + you shell out. I think the average person would think it is a $20K Nissan something or other tuner car. GTR owners probably have the opposite stupid comments we get, That thing have a 2.0L 4 banger? That cost you about $20K right ? Is that a type R ? my brother has one just like it.....
rotfl

Does the GT-R forum have a "What is the funniest/most stupid comment you ever got?" thread yet?

Don't forget: "Is that a kit car?"

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
rotfl You obviously have no idea. Far more people know what a Skyline/GT-R is than a Lotus of any kind. I've got a V35 Skyline 350GT/Infiniti G35 and people see the word "Skyline" and freak out, most people know what it means. And most people are well informed about the price point of the car. I honestly have no idea where you came up with that ****. :shrug: Seriously, a Z06 is a Chevy, but do people assume it costs as much as an Aveo?

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's not like Nissan is incapable of making a decent looking car. The Z, the G37, and hell, even the Murano/ FX are better looking. They need to take a lesson from the Italians who know how to build them fast and beautiful.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'd have to say that I hate it less now, than I initially did and most of my hatred of it comes from the front of the car. Now, it's a bit more acceptable, but overall i think they could have done a bit more to it overall.
I'd have to agree with you on that.

I heard someone say it like this (but please excuse the lack of political correctness): "It's like dating a fat chick - it's fun until somebody sees you with her."

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It's not like Nissan is incapable of making a decent looking car. The Z, the G37, and hell, even the Murano/ FX are better looking. They need to take a lesson from the Italians who know how to build them fast and beautiful.
I'll give you the Z and the FX are good looking vehicles, but the Murano? :shrug: I'm not even willing to say the G37 looks all that good, and I have a G35. lol

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I'll give you the Z and the FX are good looking vehicles, but the Murano? :shrug: I'm not even willing to say the G37 looks all that good, and I have a G35. lol
I dunno, to me the Z has always looked like an old sofa with a sheet draped over it.

But I also believe the G37 is a big step backward stylistically from the G35. And the G35 Coupe is much more appealing than it's fraternal twin, the Z.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The first time I saw one I really thought it was ugly. Now it is growing on me. I don't see how you can say it is not worth the money...Sophisticated high tech high output engine, sophisticated dual clutch paddle shift transmission, 4 wheel drive, you get everything and a back seat (OK don't need that useless little thing) for the cost of a Z06. I think it is clear competition for Porsches that cost much more.
Compared to an Exige 240 you get more of everything for your $ spent: more parts per $, more HP per $, more cubic inches per $, more pounds per $...clearly the better value!:shrug:

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I actually like the styling, in particular the side window line - but my concern are all of the reports that it is a soulless "speed appliance".

·
Registered
563 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, I can't decide if I like this car.

It initially struck me as fugly, but then I thought about it and I realized - hey, here's a car I can whip the ass of most exotics in, and do so with 3,800 pounds of leather, electronics, and - back seats?!

So then the car started looking good.... in grey.... kinda.

But then I drove a supercharged Elise, and I thought, hmmmm... do I buy cars for their potential (GT-R)? Or for the way the car makes me feel when I drive it(Elise/Exige)? The latter.

Then I thought, would I have a car that I don't feel passionate about, as long as I could brag about its numbers(GT-R)? Or would I rather have a car with a lesser degree of performance, but have that car be one that I was totally in love with, despite this(Elise/Exige)? Again, I chose the latter.

Thus, I re-decided I didn't like the GT-R.

But then, I haven't driven one, so I can't be sure what it's like.

But in my mind, money aside, I'd rather have the passion and total connection of the Elise (all the time, not just on the track, driving balls out, as Jeremy described the GT-R) not the bragging rights of the GT-R.

Besides, the Elise looks better... :p

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I actually like the styling, in particular the side window line - but my concern are all of the reports that it is a soulless "speed appliance".
^^^ If you don't live on the track, that's what I heard too :) (Hammond and Clarkson on Top Gear both reported this.)

I consider it a "speed appliance" as well. Instant fast just add $77K (actually more since dealers are marking them up)! :shrug:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts