The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So first I have to say that the Evora has been an awesome car to daily drive. That being said here is how it went.

I drove to the track (Hallett near Tulsa OK) and on the way passed 10k miles. A great way to start the day if you ask me.

On the way 2 stops - one for an ATM and one for gas. The ATM stop was the best because it was in a 35mph area of a tiny town and I got to talk to 3 guys who were outside of the quickstop. All three were a blast to talk to and one was the local cop on duty.

So because I was a complete neophyte to the whole track day scene I was just soaking in the information and was lucky enough to be in group 3. I got to watch 2 groups of 5 cars making laps around the track and watch one spin (E-something or other bmw I think).

Then it was my turn. First two laps out were parade laps learning the turns and finding lines. I was lucky enough to have someone from group 1 ride along with me and give me a run down on the track. I was very thankful for his help (even though I did get him car sick the last few laps :sad: ).

The "competition": (yes there was no competition - it was just fun track time)
Multiple BMW's - normal and M's - some modded. One V8 that sounded very great.
1 Gallardo that did not set tread on the track - it was too new.
1 classic 70's mustang race car - it sounded AMAZING and down right mean on the track.
1 WRX that also sounded great. was Turbo'ed and a very well put together vehicle.
2 S2000s - 1 bone stock and 1 so far from stock I think he even dented the hood a bit just to say it was modded as well.
1 Mustang 5.0 with a Rousch exhaust that had a very deep note and sounded great on the straightaway. This poor vehicle had the only damage of the day - it spun on the next to last turn and slammed side first into the tirewall - lots of body damage (I hope no suspension damage).
1 C5 corvette - no mods that I could tell and it was near silent on the track.
1 Viper that made 2 laps before it headed back to the garage.
2 Porsche's - one new 911 cab that was just out having a blast making laps - not pushing it at all and was a beauty to watch and one boxster that was going all out.
1Caddy CTS-V - this is a beast and sounds nice ta boot. It was 3 days old and was FLYING around this track.
and then my Evora - I was initially warned by the track owner "Lotus like to catch on fire - the extinguishers are available..." and proceeded to move on lol . That was a fun start.

Let me just say that the stock breaks on this car can take a PUNISHMENT. This track is down right evil on breaks and the Evora was giving it more than I was willing to push. This car is just amazing.

I had a hell of a good day including one spin into the dirt (no damage and not even grass in the wheel wells) that was witnessed by quite a few - including the corvette that I has just passed. What pisses me off is that my GoPro's battery tanked 1 min before I did this. No footage of the spin. The only car to pass me was the CTS-V - that thing is one crazy ass car.

I am working on getting pictures of the day and I'll find a lap or three to cut down and post on YouTube this weekend. I have the raw footage available of both 20m runs if you want them - PM me and I'll share the FTP server I left them on for you to download (roughly 5gb).

Can't say enough about how much fun it was. Here is the one picture I have of me on the Track - it is hard to get these while driving :coolnana: :shift:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Congratulations, must have really been a good day. Not surprised by the Evora's performance, who would expect else.:nanner:

However, must hve been a slow track, you didn't break the splitter:shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did over 110 on the front stretch a few times. Usually I did not have a good enough line coming out of the last turn to go past 95~100 though.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Congratulations, must have really been a good day. Not surprised by the Evora's performance, who would expect else.:nanner:

However, must hve been a slow track, you didn't break the splitter:shrug:
But if you look at his picture close enough, the middle of the splitter is flexed down significantly.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not even notice that - good eye Guppy. Guess it just flexes on mine and doesn't "flutter"... yet.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
It looks like you were in a slight turn so I can't imagine that you were going that fast there.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
I'll be testing brake fitments for an area supplier so I'll be up to speed on this soon. Also working out Speed Bleeder fitments for us as well!

Welcome to the addiction called track day. Words of wisdom here. Do NOT modify the car till your skills are faster than the car. I saw WAY too many trashed Elises by rich folks that dumped 10K in mods into car only to off it on day 1 because the car was WAY faster than they were. I drove it stock year 1, did alignemtn year 2 etc. Motor and HP are always last at the track except for endurance needs.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm playing with it a bit - I have not done the turbo or supercharger route - if I had, the board would have been notified and the process would be documented and displayed for all to see :D

As it is - I am doing the CAI, Exhaust, and Kold-Fire tune. Nothing more for me for now. I'm very happy.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like you were in a slight turn so I can't imagine that you were going that fast there.
To be more specific that is coming out of turn 9 and is roughly just past where the 9 is on the straight away following it. The picture is from the race port area. By the end of that straight I could be going roughly 80-90 depending on how confident I was feeling that lap lol.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Good for you for getting out there. I don't see our Evora out there for a while, still near 3,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Did they finally resurface Hallet? It was a bit rough a couple years back.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
But if you look at his picture close enough, the middle of the splitter is flexed down significantly.
Very interesting, didn't notice. So, the photo shows 2 things abut the splitter:
  • It does flex too much and is sure to break on high speed
  • Seeing that it flexes down it actually does produce downforce and not lift
OK, now we need a solution for he flex that doesn't look like an adolescent tuning mule:sheep:

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Great job Plack. You are doing what everyone should be doing. Use that race car!!! To many of use are afraid to push their cars (me included) this post put me closer to getting a helmet and getting out there to have the time of my life

Thank you:clap:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds like a great day but you're killing me talking about it. I was suppose to be spending 3 days at VIR for the trackclub usa hyperfest but my dealer is holding my car hostage.(quick warranty fix has turned into a 2 weeker)
I've autocrossed a few times in my car and it was great but can't wait to get her on an open track.
What do the Pirelli's look like after a track day?

·
Registered
545 Posts
What do the Pirelli's look like after a track day?
Which ones? No idea about the PZero, but the Corsa are ace, they hold very very well. More than 6000 miles and one track day, still 4.5-5mm left.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Congrats! Another great day at the track. The words "Lotus" and "never tracked" don't ever belong together.

"What pisses me off is that my GoPro's battery tanked 1 min before I did this. No footage..."

Fugh, ain't it always the truth with these things, particularly the GoPros. It's always something. Just got my hands on a Contour. Hopefully it's a bit more reliable in that regard.

I've only been to Hallet once. Took a few laps in a F-150 Ligntnin' of all things!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great job getting out on track! :clap: What was the occasion, did you get in on a rented track day? I didn't see an open track day on the schedule. Do you remember what kind of times you were running? You actually did a good job only going off once being your first time out in a mid-engine car. I had a friend who did regular track days in an Audi, then got an NSX and went off 3 times in his first session. rotfl Give us a call when you're ready to get serious about the brakes and chassis. BTW, I saw you cruising through Edmond a week or so ago, that new exhaust is LOUD! :evil:

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
With all due respect, "offing" the car is not necessary to learn.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree that offing the car was not necessary to learn but I assure you I learned my lesson pretty damned fast. Took a much wider line on that turn every time after that.
=
Eurosport: I love this new exhaust - it is just perfect for me :). The day was a group organized by a Caffeine and Gasoline group in Tulsa - they sent out e-mails and got 15+ people interested and just rented the track just for us. It was AWESOME.
Times were all around 1:38~1:40 for my fastest few. There was a LOT of track time and with that came lots of laps. I did not have a transponder as they were not available to start the day so I decided to not get one. There was a guy on the side using his stopwatch for a few of us.

JSMD: The Pirelli's I have up front look ALMOST as good as they did as I went on - just a little dirtier and a lot break dustier.

AdderTooth: I have no idea if they resurfaced or not. I had not seen it before last Tuesday. I'm going to say it was as there were very little areas of bump and rattle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts