The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I used to track my car about ten years ago, ( no W to W), my insurance policy stated "not if speed contest", in that instance I would be covered. Recently purchased an Exige and called my insurance CO and they informed me they explicitly deny all coverage if you are on a racetrack. Just curios what have most of you found and if there any other forms of insurance I can purchase just for that reason?

Thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
There are companies that you can buy insurance by the day for the track. Good thing is you can state the value of the car yourself. Bad thing only specific events are to be covered. If I remember if you claim the car to be worth 50k it's about $200 for coverage for the day. Don't remember the company off the top of my head but there are several.

·
Registered
375 Posts
None of the regular insurance companies will cover wrecks on the track.

I know of several people who have wrecked at the track and just not told the insurance company that it happened on the track and cashed out just fine. There wont be any police report stating where it happened, and you can just get the car towed to some random public street corner and claim it happened there, or just tow it home and claim it happened at some random street corner. Then do make it look like a wreck at the street corner. You know, parts of your bumper, lights, scuff up a curb, stuff like that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
None of the regular insurance companies will cover wrecks on the track.

I know of several people who have wrecked at the track and just not told the insurance company that it happened on the track and cashed out just fine. There wont be any police report stating where it happened, and you can just get the car towed to some random public street corner and claim it happened there, or just tow it home and claim it happened at some random street corner. Then do make it look like a wreck at the street corner. You know, parts of your bumper, lights, scuff up a curb, stuff like that.
Yeah insurance fraud...that's smart.Do you ever wonder why rates are so high? I wouldn't be boasting about that too much here

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
My Insurer paid up just fine for my crash back in February http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/first-crash-77280/.
I believe that this coverage is particular to my state and a couple of others with this company.
I don't think everyone would be completely forthcoming about successful use of insurance for a track accident, not wanting to ruin a good thing by getting more claims presented to their insurer.
Point is, such coverage can exist, keep looking.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
In NY where there is no ability to waiver liaibity (as in about 7 states)....my insurance company forbids me to use any of my cars on track.

You cannot waive liability...so the insurance company is afraid that even if you say they are not to blame...if you hit someone...or you die in an accident there is nothing that says somebody cannot make a claim.

·
Registered
123 Posts
go to WSIB Insurance Agency, LLC. Or you can contact my rep Kristine Johnson at (866) 904-9742. Just let her know you want the same track coverage that I have. I have yearly track insurance through them that covers 11-15 events. Covers all on track accidents. Costs about $1200-$1500 depending on the number of events you want to do. Its nice for the peace of mind you have though I never plan on using it.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
go to WSIB Insurance Agency, LLC. Or you can contact my rep Kristine Johnson at (866) 904-9742. Just let her know you want the same track coverage that I have. I have yearly track insurance through them that covers 11-15 events. Covers all on track accidents. Costs about $1200-$1500 depending on the number of events you want to do. Its nice for the peace of mind you have though I never plan on using it.....:rolleyes:
Fantastic, not only do I get great instruction from you but now this tip! Calling ASAP!! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fantastic, not only do I get great instruction from you but now this tip! Calling ASAP!! :)
That's what fellow Lotus drivers are there for! Its worth it in my opinion. I drive the car harder without the worry of losing all my money. But again, I don't plan on using this insurance.....ever!!! Good luck! Hope to see you out there again soon. I'd be happy to take you out and show you some more what these little rockets can do! :shift:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I wouldn't even ask a conventional street insurance company if they'll provide coverage, it's a great way to get dropped. Get track insurance. If something happens, your street insurance provider need not know.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I wouldn't even ask a conventional street insurance company if they'll provide coverage, it's a great way to get dropped.
when i had my elise i called USAA( an excellent company BTW) and they dropped the coverage on my lotus for just asking about coverage on track for HPDE.

when i asked haggerty about coverage while applying, they put me on their list of "never to be insured by us".

dont lie to the ins companies as suggested above, bad advice.

buy real track coverage, or know you are on track w/o any coverage from you regular ins company.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, gotta love ins co... Amazing that they would drop one for asking. I do agree about not lying but asking and getting dropped seems illegal! BTW, track insurance is a no brainer for me, I was not aware such a beast existed.When I first heard of it today, almost seemed to good to be true..

·
Registered
663 Posts
I asked my insurance co a few years ago, they stated they would cover me if it was a school. After 3 years (I would ask them every year to be safe) they told me they couldn't cover me any more.

When I finally get a lotus I will pay up & get track insurance.....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
+1 for WSIB. Got their track insurance, wrecked 2 days later. They covered all the (extensive) damage with no hassle. Couldn't recomend them more highly.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
WSIB Insurance website is being blocked on my computer. I get warnings for malicious software. :shrug:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
And from another thread...

The biggest thing I see is that the company is to indemnify you. In other words, you pay for the damage and you'll be reimbursed as opposed to them paying for the damage from the first dollar.
Is this still the case?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've used Locton Affinity in the past, linked a few threads above as HPDE Insurance Stated value policy that works out to a little over $50 per $10,000 covered per event not per day. Really nice for those 3 day weekend events! The club needs to be approved by Locton and the event submitted by the event master before participants can purchase coverage but really not much trouble to make happen. Money well spent for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
thought this incident was interesting.

at a scca autoX in philly last summer, a girl flipped, yes flipped as in tend over end, landing on the roof. apparently the car was covered because the insurance company saw it as a driving school

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
^I wouldn't count on it though!

I think I'm going to start getting coverage for trackdays. I only partake in a few a year so I'll just have to budget this in too! Curious if anyone has ever made a claim with any company?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts