The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of restoring the Elise for track duty. Had a big off to right on South Bend at VIR. Only clam and diffuser damage :D Could have been spectacular.

Replaced the front clam with Sector's Race Clam

Front Elise Spec Clam

ll.PNG

2014.7.19.2 pad 008.jpg

So here's my quandry. She looks pretty good, they did a nice job. But we sorta have the look of a blind cave fish :p

I'm probably going to have Keith Chulick down in Atlanta put an XPEL layer on. This has cutouts for the headlights. So, I have options. Put on a clear layer in the area, or black "eyes" or even chrome orange ones to go with the wheels and numbers and mirrors and end plates on the wing. Something like this:

Capture.PNG

I'd love to hear what anyone else has done, or ideas. And if someone clever with Photoshop could put those orange eyes on an image I'd much appreciate it.

Premium Member
Zero photoshop skills, but I think it would look better with black, chrome orange or a vinyl decal that "looks" like our headlights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Premium Member
Looks good Bob! I like the vinyl that looks like headlights idea, or a carbon fiber vinyl material.

Hood and roof might look nice with orange racing stripes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought of the decals, sorta like NASCAR uses. But where to get such a thing?

If I ever did stripes, I could not go with straight ones. Would have to curve and follow the lines of the car, the way that reflections follow her curves.

Might put a half inch wide strip of the leading edge of the spoiler. Then there is also the "lipstick" option, sorta like Aston do.

Premium Member
Hmmmm, it would be interesting to take a picture and try to get it in the correct dimensions for a vector. Will be tricky with the curves of the lens assy and will require relief cuts. I would love to try but have zero time at the moment with the school I am in!

When are you going to be at RA again? We are planning on Barber next weekend, RA in late Aug then Barber in late Sep.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure Bobby. My focus has shifted to Tennis and women but sure do miss it have the Europa on the road again and will have the Elise into the garage this weekend for first time in months (only have two bays :(). Will really go through her.

Registered
No photoshop skills but here's 5 minutes of boredom and hack skills on publisher. Not too bad for a general idea of looks, but the blind fish is cool.

Registered
I asked a couple weeks ago about the finish quality etc. of the Sector clams and didn't get any experienced responses. It just hit me that you have one!!!

I need a rear clam, which doesn't have the headlight issues. Was your front pretty close to OEM fit & finish (besides the lights)? Looks great.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you boony.

I did not do the work but a lot of it was neccessary. A lot.

And after $500 shipping, Fed Ex delivered the first one with a corner broken off. Sector was great in working it round so that insurance (reluctantly) paid. Overall took about 6 weeks from order to having a usable clam. Sector people were very good with their part of it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Arch. Project Manager
Keith sort of already has a template due to the head light protective film. I'm sure he could make the shape about an inch larger and cut it out of vinyl fairly easy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm open to ideas about emoticons or anything.

Another view of a blind car, borrowed from Larry.

image.jpg

Not so bad. Anyone else have pics of such?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice Grey :) But having turn signals to pop out is, well, urrrr.

I believe that most people view our cars as pretty much smiley little cuties anyway, about like that pic.

Registered
What about two layers of vinyl: black with silver or orange in the center such that the black appears as something like a half-inch surround/border? Might take away from the plainness of a solid color only.

V EQLS IR
CO w/ black surrounds might be kinda cool, here's a chop:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts