The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggested upcoming track days in the CO region for a Lotus to participate in?

I am signing up for the Z club's Sept 6 day event, but looking for something sooner as well. Let's hear where you local drivers are going for upcoming track events.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There is a large Lotus owners club in Colorado. Look them up on the Yahoo groups site. They are a pretty active bunch and may have some events along the lines of what you are looking for. They organized and ran the Lotus Owners Gathering (LOG), last year in Aspen.
Good luck,

Al B.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
The Chrome Orange region....( CO ) I like it !

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a large Lotus owners club in Colorado. Look them up on the Yahoo groups site. They are a pretty active bunch and may have some events along the lines of what you are looking for. They organized and ran the Lotus Owners Gathering (LOG), last year in Aspen.
Good luck,

Al B.
Thanks. I am a part of LoCo, and they discussed a track event earlier in the year, but it seems to have died. Most of the track drivers go to SECA or NASA events. Just looking for some events in the near rather than later future.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Here's a bit of good news. Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway announced yesterday (7/24/08) that it's reopening!

Its website has few details-just a banner crawl announcing "the track is back" and phone numbers to call. They anticipate some event in time for Labor Day.

Running the 1.3 mile banking and infield configuration was fun.

PIKES PEAK INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY

And, of course, High Plains Raceway is close to its funding goal for the 2.7 mile track envisioned north of by Byers off I-70. I drove the staked-out course in a 4 wheel drive. It looks (potentially) fantastic, but that's still a ways off.

Tom

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Here's some info about a track event this weekend...I haven't driven this track, but am under the impression it's pretty small. Still, there aren't many track options in CO so that puts this towards the top of the list.

Mike Pettiford from GO4it Racing rented the track in Golden for both Saturday and Sunday this weekend August 2 and 3rd. He still has slots open for either day. He's offering private (one-on-one) instruction or practice only.

1 Day private instruction $700
1 Day practice only $150

Call Mike to register if interested.

Michael Pettiford at [email protected]
303-666-4113
GO 4 IT Racing Schools: Basic Safety to Advanced Driving Instruction, Cars and Motorcycles

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
High Plains Raceway

YouTube - HPR - REAL Video

Things are progressing nicely at High Plains Raceway. The paving is now done (take a slow lap in the data gathering car above)! :nanner2: The track should be ready to run this spring. Let's hope we see a lot of Lotus cars out there!

Tom

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
peak to peak miata has a track day at the beginning of november. goforit racing has one at the state patrol park in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I should have posted this somewhere else I apologize. This was the last post for the CO. area and it was talk of a meet.
First off let me say my name is Anthony, first time posting, been on the forum for about a month or so taking in information. I really enjoy the board, and the information that is provided.
I’ve always enjoyed the look and style of the Lotus Esprit. Until now it’s been just a dream, rumor has it the Esprit will back in production for her 35th year anniversary. I am setting myself up to be able to purchase one. During my research I’ve discovered there have been more than her fair shares of individuals that are not impressed with the vehicles ride, performance, price tag, etc. Having researched this I don’t want to put such a large amount of cash down for a vehicle I have never actually had the privilege of sitting in never the less driving around.
I write to you because I’m currently in Colorado Springs for a contract that expires around Thanksgiving, at which time I will be going to Florida to catch a flight to Afghanistan (hopefully) and I will be there until Christmas of 2011. As you can see this looks to be my last opportunity to actually get around, sit/take a ride in an Esprit before I need to make my final decision whether I want to own one or not.
I’ve been looking around the area since I got here and discovered there are no dealerships and no-one I’ve talked to can recall ever seeing one, never the less an owner in the area. I write to see if anyone could point me in the right direction. Using the internet I’ve been unable to find a dealership in Denver, and as of now this seems to be the only place I can locate people that own the car (besides other forums).
Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Anthony

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Anthony,

Check out Welcome to Ferrari of Denver, Colorado's Only Authorized Factory Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley and Lotus dealer.

Mike
I went to Ferrari of Denver to ask about an Esprit they had there,
but got a snobby attitude in return since it was apparently "on hold" for someone in Europe. Bought an Elise instead, and not from them.

Their service department how-ever is top-notch.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
It's sort of an event...a walking tour of High Plains Raceway this Sunday!

"Sunday Oct. 26th track tour. The time will be from 10:00 am to about lunch time. Again, NO CARS WILL BE ALLOWED ON TRACK! No RSVP required."

We can walk the 2.55 miles of newly-laid asphalt or bicycle it to get a feel for the layout of Denver's new track. The track will open for business in the spring.

I'll be there at 10!

Tom

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Hey Barthold! I did indeed make it home thanks to your help! :clap:

Quick recap for the Rocky Mtn folks. A bunch of us did a track walk of the new racetrack 50 miles east of Denver yesterday morning. Clouds and wind rolled in just as everyone hit the track (in the sneakers or on their bikes). It was nippy, to say the least! The track is 2.55 miles or so in length with lots of uphills and downhils; some negative cambers and positive cambers and a corkscrew to rival Laguna Seca.

I met tons of nice folks-Chad, John from Loco (Lotus Colorado), Jonathan and Craig with their Z cars, and of course, Barthold, who rode the track with his gps unit (genius!).

Despite the fact that there were Acura NSXs, a Pantera, a Noble M12, some sweet vintage machines and tons of Porsches in the parking lot, when my buddy Mark and I pulled in, everyone came by the Elise to say hi, check it out and take a test sit. I think our car just gives off friendly vibes! As I stood around answering questions and just chatting about the other drivers cars, our core body temperatures began dropping like the stock market. Luckily, my wife threw two fleece pullovers in the car before we left Denver, so Mark put on the Lotus Sport fleece and, consequently, constantly had to answer the question "That your Elise up in the parking lot?" as he walked the track. :D

Mark's an excellent photographer, so he took a bunch of pics that should give you an idea of the elevation and scenery. I'll post them up soon.

When we returned to the parking area to leave, I hit the fob to prime the fuel pump...and...nothing...dead in the water. Dead fob battery! AAAAAHHH! Meanwhile, many of the other folks (in true track friendly fashion) sensed something was wrong with the little red car and gathered around to help! :clap: Lotusfan2 came to the rescue, popping the battery out of his WRX's fob and giving it to me (Yep-same battery for both fobs). A quick resync and all was well. :coolnana: That was great-after singing the praises of my little car and it's incredible reliablity...it doesn't start :rolleyes:

So I owe Barthold a new battery, I made a bunch of new track friends and I saw a breathtaking track. It was a good day. And once the car started, the clouds blew away and the sun came out. I swear to God...

The rest of you guys, if you're making a visit to our beautiful state, put High Plains Raceway on your list for some track fun. We'll be up and running on it this coming spring.

Pics coming soon.

Tom

1 - 20 of 59 Posts