The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well which is it? is the car measurably quicker one way or the other? Any other reasons to go one way or the other?

-Steve

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I think it would matter more if you had a hard top. With the top open, I can imagine that at higher speeds the car would be less aerodynamic and potentially slower than if the car had its top on. I dont know if that would be the same with a soft top because it is not rigid.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I don't have a hard top but chose to drive with the soft top off at Road Atlanta. Maybe it added a little drag but I like driving with the top off.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i don't think it'll make much difference .
It could be either way depending on the comfort of the driver, for instance.
Under organised conditions the sanctioner will render the connundrum moot.
m.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Top on just makes more sense to me. Less drag, don't need to wear elbow restraints, less of the annoying buffeting, possibly less of the marbles flying up and hitting you on the head. People talk about small increments in tire pressure to get the last fractions of a second better per lap, and the added top weight of the top is negligible while gaining the above advantages, IMHO. OTOH, if you're looking for fun fast cruising around the track rather than testing speed abilities, it would make sense to do top off if the organizers will let you.

Autocross, definitely top off. Aerodynamics less of an influence, if any, and it's just plain more fun.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hardtop may be required... I know some tracks require either a hardtop - or hand restraints [I guess to keep your hands in the vehicle in the event of a roll over].

I ordered the HT for that reason only.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Top off! Weight weight weight!!! Besides-a soft top is really going to protect you in a roll :rolleyes:

The hardtop in not light. Weight weight weight!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
thegit said:
Under organised conditions the sanctioner will render the connundrum moot.
m.
*going thru my dictionary and holding my "The Little Brown Book"*:confused:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Surferjer said:
Top off! Weight weight weight!!! Besides-a soft top is really going to protect you in a roll :rolleyes:

The hardtop in not light. Weight weight weight!!

How much does the hard top weigh?

·
Registered
413 Posts
quote: " ...I enjoy the car al fresco."

Is that kinda like al dente? Anyways I thought these cars were British, not Italian.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts