The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Toronto dealer co-sponsored a track day yesterday. There were two groups - lotus cars and other. I just finished my first session when I noticed a commotion at the far end of the track. Unfortunately, a Miata during the first session of the other cars left the track at the end of a long sweeping corner and smashed into a building about 200 metres from the track. Sadly, the driver did not survive. He was 73 and people are speculating that he may have suffered a heart attack as there didn't seem to be any evidence that he tried to brake or manoeuvre away from the builing. The saddest part of the day was seeing the EMS person tell his wife who had been sitting away from the scene. This track was at a former airport - pretty safe with lots of run off.

Here's the article from the local newspaper. My thoughts are with his family.

BRANTFORD–A Mississauga man has died after an accident at a race track in Southern Ontario.

Provincial police say 73-year-old Sidney Paine was driving his car around the track at the Dunnville autodrome Saturday morning, when the 1991 green Mazda Miata left the track and smashed into a building.

Bystanders performed CPR until emergency personnel arrived, but Paine was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem will be held Sunday.

The OPP are investigating the accident.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Our Toronto dealer co-sponsored a track day yesterday. There were two groups - lotus cars and other. I just finished my first session when I noticed a commotion at the far end of the track. Unfortunately, a Miata during the first session of the other cars left the track at the end of a long sweeping corner and smashed into a building about 200 metres from the track. Sadly, the driver did not survive. He was 73 and people are speculating that he may have suffered a heart attack as there didn't seem to be any evidence that he tried to brake or manoeuvre away from the builing. The saddest part of the day was seeing the EMS person tell his wife who had been sitting away from the scene. This track was at a former airport - pretty safe with lots of run off.

Here's the article from the local newspaper. My thoughts are with his family.

BRANTFORD–A Mississauga man has died after an accident at a race track in Southern Ontario.

Provincial police say 73-year-old Sidney Paine was driving his car around the track at the Dunnville autodrome Saturday morning, when the 1991 green Mazda Miata left the track and smashed into a building.

Bystanders performed CPR until emergency personnel arrived, but Paine was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem will be held Sunday.

The OPP are investigating the accident.
OUCH.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Everyone must pass on... atleast he died doing something he loved(but he wasnt killed by it), not everyone will be so lucky
I agree, that is the way I hope to go.
I was in his run group but didn't see him leave the track. My girlfriend's son saw him leave the track and was the first on the scene. From what he told me, not breathing and slumped over the wheel, and from the fact he never touched the brakes I suspect he had a heart attack on the long sweeper.
Interesting thing is that he wanted his wife to come out with him, but she didn't feel like going out at that time.
My heart goes out to his wife and family.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone must pass on... atleast he died doing something he loved(but he wasnt killed by it), not everyone will be so lucky
+1

Obviously he was living his life and not lettng life pass him by. I hope I'm so vibrant at 73.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts