The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be trakcing my Lotus for the first time in May (Speed Venture event). I'll be poppoing my track cherry. :D

I don't have a helmet and need to get one. What would you recommend?

Should I spend some money and get some quality one (like Sparco Titan-ADV, $1,095) or get something cheaper?

Where do you guys buy your helmets? Do you use HANS device?

Also if I want graphics on my helmet, is there someone who can either, 1) paint or 2) come up with one-piece sticker for the helmet?

Thanks in advance for your inputs! :clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
HJC-AR11, it's SA2005 fairly light and affordable. $270 at saferacer.com. My gf just bought one and loves hers. Censport can paint helmets but it's not cheap (I think $500 or more). You just want to get a SA2005 rated helmet besides that rating that the price tag goes up for bells and whistles but the cheaper ones are just as safe.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HJC-AR11, it's SA2005 fairly light and affordable. $270 at saferacer.com. My gf just bought one and loves hers. Censport can paint helmets but it's not cheap (I think $500 or more). You just want to get a SA2005 rated helmet besides that rating that the price tag goes up for bells and whistles but the cheaper ones are just as safe.
Thanks!

Email sent to Censport. Asked for a quote to get the following (my family crest) on top of the helmet, my name on the back/bottom (near the neck area) and some simple but colorful paint scheme. I'll share my experience with Censport on the forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
several suggestions:

do an advanced search, titles only for helmet*

a newer model from HJC which may not come up in prior discussions is the SI-12. it s one sweet piece of work. i actually considered getting one despite having a perfectly good one-year old bell.

before you consider a HANS, you'll need to research the proper installation of appropriate harnesses in your car.

and i strongly advise purchasing a helmet locally in order to ensure proper fit and comfort.

:up:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
and i strongly advise purchasing a helmet locally in order to ensure proper fit and comfort.

good advice, aslo to be sure that you fit into the cockpit with the hardtop and helemt. I could only fit into my car with the g-force pro force one.
i am 5'11". test it out at a shop, and then go look on the internet when you know what you can use.
how tall are you?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
several suggestions:

do an advanced search, titles only for helmet*

a newer model from HJC which may not come up in prior discussions is the SI-12. it s one sweet piece of work. i actually considered getting one despite having a perfectly good one-year old bell.

before you consider a HANS, you'll need to research the proper installation of appropriate harnesses in your car.

Thanks! :up: Yeah, I need to try on the helmets to make sure they fit. I wear size 7-1/2 and not sure what that would be -- Med.? Lg.?

good advice, aslo to be sure that you fit into the cockpit with the hardtop and helemt. I could only fit into my car with the g-force pro force one.
i am 5'11". test it out at a shop, and then go look on the internet when you know what you can use.
how tall are you?
yeah, good advise. I didn't think about that issue. I'm 5'6" so I'm guessing I can fit with a helmet. (hopefully)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Helmet colors

I played around with different colors for the helmet.

I'm leaning towards silver, chrome orange, smurf blue and BRG thick stipes with black/white thin stripes. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Definitely try it on in person. Twice in my life I've not done that and twice it's ended badly (i.e., couldn't make it work).

The superlight stuff is cool in that it is slightly lighter, but at the G forces we pull even the 'classic' helmets aren't going to be bad on your neck.

Steve

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I played around with different colors for the helmet.

I'm leaning towards silver, chrome orange, smurf blue, BRG and white. Any suggestions?
Simpson makes helmets that can be bought in any of 12 colors for a nominal extra fee. It will cost several hundred dollars to have your helmet professionally painted. I had mine painted by this guy: patwilsongraphics.com

·
Registered
604 Posts
Buy locally please

test it out at a shop, and then go look on the internet when you know what you can use.
Please don't. :(

Sponsorship aside, helmets are purely a safety item, and fit is more important than any other aspect (other than a current Snell rating). If you are lucky enough to have a local/regional shop that you can actually test a helmet for proper fit, please support that business by purchasing your helmet through them. If they all fold-up shop because of e-commerce, we will lose a valuable resource?

And please take advantage of asking for professional advice when trying on a helmet. Just because it feels good does not mean it's safe (in fact if it's comfortable when brand new, it's probably too loose). Most people who buy a helmet on their own, don't get the right size. I've literally taught hundreds of driving students and this is a common problem.

(And just to clarify, I don't own or have any interest in this business. In fact, I buy most of my shtuff online--it's just so much easier. This just happens to be one of the very few products that I adamantly support local businesses on.)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks!

Email sent to Censport. Asked for a quote to get the following (my family crest) on top of the helmet, my name on the back/bottom (near the neck area) and some simple but colorful paint scheme. I'll share my experience with Censport on the forum.

No answers/responses from Censport.

I'll try patwilsongraphics.com that JimK recommended. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Another vote for the AR-11. I just bought one and it's an amazing helemt for the price. Especially when you know it is a Schubert design, same design as the helmet worn by Schumacher.

Another vote for the Si12. I need the aero for my F2000, that's why I bought the AR11. Otherwise I'd have bought a Si12.

This guy is doing my paint. He does lots of pro driver. His work is amazing: smartracepaint.com

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another vote for the AR-11. I just bought one and it's an amazing helemt for the price. Especially when you know it is a Schubert design, same design as the helmet worn by Schumacher.

Another vote for the Si12. I need the aero for my F2000, that's why I bought the AR11. Otherwise I'd have bought a Si12.

This guy is doing my paint. He does lots of pro driver. His work is amazing: smartracepaint.com
Great! Thanks for the recommendations! :up:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you sent your email to Censport at the end of the day on friday and you're already reporting bad negatively two days later on a sunday?

jeesh. :rolleyes:

:D

Not negatively. Just saying there has been no response. :) I am trying to get the whole thing done ASAP as I'll be out of the country before my track day.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
:D

Not negatively. Just saying there has been no response. :) I am trying to get the whole thing done ASAP as I'll be out of the country before my track day.
Whn i roadraced motorcycles, there used to be a sign behind the registration people in the trailer.

it read;
"POOR PLANNING ON YOUR PART, DOES NOT CREATE AN EMERGENCY ON OUR PART"

still holds true today.

maybe you should have gotten more of a head start for your first trackday preparations, or possibly just plan on making the next event.

good luck, and have fun whenever you get to the track

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Whn i roadraced motorcycles, there used to be a sign behind the registration people in the trailer.

it read;
"POOR PLANNING ON YOUR PART, DOES NOT CREATE AN EMERGENCY ON OUR PART"

still holds true today.

maybe you should have gotten more of a head start for your first trackday preparations, or possibly just plan on making the next event.

good luck, and have fun whenever you get to the track
Well the guy at smartracepaint is literally buried under helmets. If you wanted your helmet done for this summer, you had to ship it in the winter. I mean this is the busiest part of the year. You can't expect to have it done quickly. Each helmet is a piece of art and is done by hand. It takes time.

I would think every pro paint shop to be very busy at this time of year. However this is the best time to buy a helmet. All the shops should have a lot of inventory at this time.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I recently needed a beter helmet for the track and got a Pyrotech SA-2005. Very comfortable, reasonable cost at $249. Agreed, though, try one one forst!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thinking about it. If you're willing to pay over 1000$ for a helmet. You might want to consider the Arai GP5. This is the helmet used by half the F1 drivers. It is arguably the best helmet on the market.

You might also consider the HJC HX-11, same design as the AR-11 but the whole shell is carbon fiber. Helmet is very light and you don't really need a fancy paint as the carbon fiber is gorgeous to look at.

:sheep:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts